Cedar Point 2013

Your mom is to fat to ride TTD.'s avatar

And hopefully they don't replace the concrete paths. Hopefully they either landscape it or put in pavers.

Let's Get Weird.

Corkscrew Follies said:

I really like the idea of a "decadent" station.

The Wild Eagle station is absolutely gorgeous. It is three levels, with seating and artwork. The entire thing is painted in a teal and brown and silver motif with sections of the walls and outer parts of the building comprised of flat stones. Inside, the queue railings are all done in pretty nice wood, with carved wood eagle heads on the ends. Where you actually get on the ride is also finished with softer flooring. As much as I love CP, it makes Maverick's station look like the large shack that it really is.

Fav Coaster credits of 2012 season...

The Voyage, Leviathan, Wild Eagle, Thunderhead, The Legend, Flight of Fear

For arguments sake, let's say that if CP doesn't theme the ride in the same manner as Wild Eagle, the ride could cost $20 mil. That still leaves 5 for demolition/removal/rebuilding areas.

Regardless, and I can't remember who just said it, we will never know exactly what costs what. You can split costs up any way you like when the figures (and ride) are imaginary at this point. However, I don't think that anyone can say definitively that $25 mill won't cover the ride and all the removal.

New CEO, new changes. You never know.

As for your last point about new changes, I haven't particularly liked the few changes the park has received this year, but I sure hope you are right and that the changes are ones that I will enjoy.

Last edited by CanadianPointKid,

Fav Coaster credits of 2012 season...

The Voyage, Leviathan, Wild Eagle, Thunderhead, The Legend, Flight of Fear

Kevinj said:

I do think, WickedTwister (sorry I don't know your name), that you are overestimating a bit how much ride demo costs. If it is not being saved for sale or move, I can't imagine demo of both attractions being that much.

I'm sure there would be one hell of a line of free help from people on here if Cedar Point would post that they are letting anyone who wants to help in the demolition of disaster transport....payment = piece of the ride or a free Cedar Fair VIP windbreaker! ;)

When you visit CP, visit my Mill, est. 1835

People forget that Wild Eagle has some landscaping it had to deal with. I'm sure that upped the cost slightly.

Honestly though, Cedar Point is getting the fastest, longest, and hopefully best of it's kind. We know this from the press release, so where the money goes doesn't really matter all that much, at least in my opinion.

What press release? CP didn't release a thing yet.

I'd rather be in my boat with a drink on the rocks,
than in the drink with a boat on the rocks.

For those of you considering a last hurrah on Disaster Transport, time might be even more of the essence than had been thought. As of today, my current understanding is that the ride may be closed to begin demolition work in as little as two weeks.

My author website: mgrantroberts.com.

Break Trims said:
I sure hope the announcement contains legally binding definitions of "open view" and "entrance plaza."

I think we've come to the conclusion that an entrance area is a "plaza" only when flags and concrete relief cuts are present.

Brandon

Mike, if that's true, you would think an "official" announcement would be very soon, as in Coastermania. So people can get their last trips to Alaska! We are going to miss it by a week if that is indeed true. My son is tall enough to ride it this year, and hopefully my daughter grew enough over the past few months to ride it. I hope your wrong! :)

Anyone think they would do an auction for last rides on DT and SS?

When you visit CP, visit my Mill, est. 1835

CanadienPointKid, the basic definition of decadent is the decline of morality in society. Thats why I posted I liked the idea of a decadent station.

TTD 120mph said:
Fueling the hope is the statement that a mid summer announcement was planned. Of course, statistically speaking, July 13th isn't the middle of summer...

Is that true? As far as I recall, the only response from CF to the leaked info was that an announcement would be made "later this summer" (per Bryan Edwards - source).

And technically speaking, July 13th isn't even 1/4 of the way through the summer. :)

All that said, Ensign's comments do lend some weight to an announcement of some kind happening sooner rather than later. Though I wouldn't be surprised if the only announcement is that DT and SS are being removed to make way for "future additions" or some such thing.

Last edited by djDaemon,

Brandon

Man of all the years I choose not to get a season pass. This is the first year since 2002 I haven't been to the park and I don't think I'll get there until closing weekend. While you're all our there getting your last rides on DT and SS, ride them for me too!

We'll miss you MrScott and Pete

djDaemon said:
I think we've come to the conclusion that an entrance area is a "plaza" only when flags and concrete relief cuts are present.

Still putting in that 2 sense I see. That's not even close to what was meant. Instead of putting words in people's mouths, why not add to the discussion instead of throwing in your useless demeanor comments here and there.

As for when the announcement was supposed to be made, I was under the impression it would be during the Coastermania event. That's what I'm kind of hoping for atleast.

Last edited by TwistedWicker77,

Take it easy there, sport. Just some humor injection into an obviously too-serious discussion.

It seems that you're arguing in circles... first, MF didn't have an entrance plaza:

Other than the iconic MF sign that is placed next to the last overbank turn just sitting alongside the midway, and the actual entrance to the ride, it seems to me that MF lacks an entrance plaza.

Then it does, except that it doesn't:

I never once said MF doesn't have an entrance plaza. I said it lacks of one; aka deficiency.

And that's because it's deficient in what WT's does have - specifically, flags and colored concrete:

Wicked Twister for example has an entrance plaza. Flags and a ground cutout dedicated for the ride.

So, it seems you're now saying that MF does have an entrance plaza, but it's not Wicked Twistery enough to make the cut.

To get back on topic, the original point of our discussion was whether the quoted $25 million for 2013 capital improvements could include midway modifications (plaza deficient or not) surrounding the rumored wing coaster. Based on every cap ex project I've witnessed over the years, that is indeed the case.

Brandon

Again, don't put words in people's mouths there big guy, and everything will be kosher.

djDaemon said:
It seems that you're arguing in circles... first, MF didn't have an entrance plaza:

Then it does, except that it doesn't:

Once again, if you follow your own sourced links, you would find that I never said it didn't have one. I said it lacked of one. Clearly you don't know the definition of the word "lack".

Lack - "1. deficiency or absence of something needed, desirable, or customary" Source: http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/lack

Deficient - "not having enough of a specified quality or ingredient:" Source: http://oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/deficient

So, it seems you're now saying that MF does have an entrance plaza, but it's not Wicked Twistery enough to make the cut.

No no, no no. What I'm saying is that they took the time and effort to make WT's entrance plaza look nice the way it is. The whole project was a $9,000,000 investment. MF's "LACKS" of one, (you with me?), but you want to include that plaza in the $25,000,000 investment. That's all I was simply saying but it got too far and twisted. Never did I say that Millennium Force didn't have one, but you sure were quick to jump on that comment with a "MF does have an entrance plaza". Thank you Captain Obvious, but be open minded for once please.

To get back on topic, the original point of our discussion was whether the quoted $25 million for 2013 capital improvements could include midway modifications (plaza deficient or not) surrounding the rumored wing coaster. Based on every cap ex project I've witnessed over the years, that is indeed the case.

Well, the original topic, which can be found on page 1 (so I don't think we need a source link there), is about speculation of the ride. We do tend to get off topic here as I'm sure you're aware. Now we are talking about when the announcement will be, since as you can see, we have moved away from the topic you think we're still stuck on.

But if you really want to go back to that topic, you specifically said:

djDaemon said
When a new ride is built, all the concrete in the surrounding area is removed and replaced once the ride is complete.

Then you go on to talk about how it's cheaper to just add a new midway. Before the new coaster comes, isn't that elevated concrete part of the corner where DT and SS sit have to be removed? Then, according to you, instead of all of that concrete being removed, now it is just "modified" for the new ride. Which is it?

So either we can add to the original or present topic, or you can continue to put words in my mouth.

Last edited by TwistedWicker77,

Got my last run on DT in May, Mike. Got my last run on Space Spiral in 1988.

So I'm all set.

I do hope they get going, but only because I'm anxious to see some progress. It will be cathartic to see that building come down. Christmas in July indeed. :)

Promoter of fog.

Once, they start construction, I can probably sit there and watch all day. Let's say I went up to castaway bay in the winter, how far down the causeway can I get to watch some construction before I get yelled at?

No one will yell, just ask you to turn around. That is if you take the Causeway though.

I don't even remember the last time I rode SS, but my last ride on DT had to have been in 2010. I won't miss DT, but will miss seeing SS among CP's skyline.

Brandon

99er said:
No one will yell, just ask you to turn around. That is if you take the Causeway though.

What if I went down Cedar Point road?

Closed topic.

POP Forums app ©2024, POP World Media, LLC - Terms of Service