Cedar Point 2013

Whatever the layout design looks like, it will surprise us all when the actual information is revealed. My question is if that layout that the Sandusky Register is right on, would it be possible to still allow parking in some spots under neath the layout or would that be considered a risk? Also judging by the layout they're showing, why would this affect Space Spiral? Just wondering.

Your mom is to fat to ride TTD.'s avatar

They are going to remove Space Spiral, allegedly, due to its maintanance cost and to open up the area of the new ride.

Let's Get Weird.

The same part of the beach had a clear somewhat unobstructed view before 1990 going back to the original Wildcat, Jumbo Jets, and Avalanche Run. Anyhow....
After going to the park today and seeing the SS/DT back area crowded, I think people are starting to hear these rumors (of a possible new coaster) or are members on here (haha). That back section of the park (where SS and DT are) was very crowded and there were lines for both of these rides that I haven't seen in awhile. Sorry but after looking at overhead photos of CP, analyzing park maps, etc. I can totally see a rectangular (up/down) queue going in the spot where SS currently stands and covering half of DT's footprint. Wondering about the food shops back there.
I do have a somewhat hard time believing that the Register's "leaked" layout of this rumored coaster would make CP's winged coaster track/ride time longer than Wild Eagle at Dollywood. I suppose it's possible on the second half of a full circuit but I think there would have to be more turns, etc. and this rumored layout doesn't show it to me. Again, just my opinion.

^ The last time I was in the park, the TTD ride op kept telling everyone to get their last rides on DT and SS because they were going to be closing.

Thanks for posting that pic, Adam. I can't believe that's the first time I saw it. I could see the lift hill going towards WT and then turning back under itself to run the course. X-Flight lifts away from the footprint and this would be cool to drop towards the beach.

Joe
Eat 'em up, Tigers, eat 'em up!

I'm not a fan of x-flight's first drop. I like the traditional drops.

I thoroughly enjoyed X-Flight's first drop. And the entire coaster, for that matter. It was just a bit short on the ride time, though. But all in all, a very fun ride.

Joe
Eat 'em up, Tigers, eat 'em up!

Man, I've been bashed for almost this entire thread :)

I understand some of you are trying to have fun with the guessing, and I'm sorry that you took my comment to heart. However, look around on other pages SSL488, there ARE people talking about what forsure is going where as if they were part of P&D. That's where my comment came from.

What I also think, is that a lot of people on here think this $25million investment is going to add all kinds of new things, such as "new midways along the beach up to the new coaster's first drop". Millennium Force cost $25million alone and that was 13 years ago! The price of coaster's is increasing. Not to mention the money that needs to be spent on demolition of DT and SS.

aaaand I didn't realize I was a page late from the conversation I'm talking about O.O

Last edited by TwistedWicker77,

TwistedWicker77 said:
...people on here think this $25million investment is going to add all kinds of new things, such as "new midways along the beach up to the new coaster's first drop". Millennium Force cost $25million alone and that was 13 years ago!

Presumably, the $25 million cost for MF included the (somewhat extensively) reworked midway, modified RR tracks and so on. I believe it is common for ride costs to include these incidental items.

Brandon

^Exactly. A lot of the work around a new coaster such as new midways, merch/photo booths, etc are included in the overall price of the "coaster". That said, Wild Eagle cost $20 million and I would venture a guess this rumored coaster will be close to that, even if it is a bit larger.

reworked and rerouted midways, yes. New midways, I doubt it.

Why not?

Does anyone have any pictures of the Millennium Force area before construction?

Enjoy the rest of your day at America's Rockin' Roller Coast! Ride On!

TwistedWicker77 said:
reworked and rerouted midways, yes. New midways, I doubt it.

You actually have it backwards.

When a new ride is built, all the concrete in the surrounding area is removed and replaced once the ride is complete. That often includes utility modifications and/or replacement. All that removal of material costs money.

If you were building a new midway somewhere, it would actually be cheaper (generally speaking), as all you need to do is prep the site and pour concrete.

Last edited by djDaemon,

Brandon

^^ Ok, I know MF didn't cost $25 million alone. That's my fault for saying that.

But, a new coaster to span the area of DT/SS to the main gate and back, material for the station, material for the storage track, ground cutouts/structures for the supposed entrance plaza (that Millennium Force lacks), demolition of TWO existing rides (which seems like enough right there to break the bank), electrical lines, queues, and 13 years later with the cost of inflation skyrocketing since then. Not to mention the amount of concrete that needs to be poured deep into sand to prevent erosion to make up this midway you speak of. Concrete isn't cheap. That's why not.

djDaemon said:
When a new ride is built, all the concrete in the surrounding area is removed and replaced once the ride is complete.

Unless it's at Six Flags. :)

Jeff - Advocate of Great Great Tunnels™ - Co-Publisher - PointBuzz - CoasterBuzz - Blog - Music

^Hey there's a chain link fence around it, what more do you want! ;)

And lines under it to park the maintenance vehicles!

Jeff - Advocate of Great Great Tunnels™ - Co-Publisher - PointBuzz - CoasterBuzz - Blog - Music

That's just being efficient with your space

TwistedWicker77 said:
...entrance plaza (that Millennium Force lacks)...

MF does have an entrance plaza.

...demolition of TWO existing rides (which seems like enough right there to break the bank), electrical lines, queues...

As I said earlier, the RR track had to be modified to accommodate MF. In addition, the Giant Wheel was relocated, which means not only was a ride removed to make room, but that ride was then re-erected elsewhere. Moving a ride is more costly than simply removing one.

On top of that, they built a pedestrian tunnel and installed lockers.

Not to mention the amount of concrete that needs to be poured deep into sand to prevent erosion to make up this midway you speak of. Concrete isn't cheap. That's why not.

As I understand it, the bedrock beneath CP isn't very deep, and most or all large ride footers are built upon said bedrock. In other words, the depth of footers is relatively similar for most rides, regardless of where on the peninsula they're located.

Last edited by djDaemon,

Brandon

Closed topic.

POP Forums app ©2024, POP World Media, LLC - Terms of Service