11/14 Small picture update

There will be no question about its height relative to other rides in the long run, so there's little point in debating it now.

------------------
Jeff
Webmaster/GTTP - Sillynonsense.com
"Climbing as we fall, we dare to hold on to our fate, and steal away our destiny to catch ourselves with quiet grace" - The Stairs, INXS

jdumya - Please get a clue besides your own personal instinct about the height of the ride. Many of your comments about how the ride will be assembled, which pieces go where, etc have been very interesting and well thought out (although still somewhat misguided). However, on the subject of the height, you are sticking with your "wrong" ideas in the face of overwhelming evidence.

If you were to actually print out a copy of picture #2 and use a ruler to scale some of the heights, here is what you would find:

The top of Ripcord DOES measure out to be about 1/2 of the height of MF. WOW! 150 x 2 = 300. And these two objects in the picture go from the extreme foreground to the extreme background.

The Power Tower and MF DO measure out to be about the same height (jsut as you said that they are in real life).

The bottom line is that at the distance from which this picture was taken from CP, the relative depth of field of the objects is diminished to insignificance which allows for making nice comparisons of the heights of various objects.

Finally, if you lay a scale onto #16 and compare it to MF, you will find that the height of the top horizontal bar on level #5 is ~240 feet and the current highest point on #16 is ~290 feet. This is pretty much in keeping with previous discussions about each level being ~50 feet high.

This is my evidence and calculations and they concur with other measurements that I have made of previous pictures that have been published on this site.

----------------
First CP Visit: 1970
*** This post was edited by CoasterBob 11/15/2002 9:58:40 AM ***

Gee, CoasterBoob, you really got me there. I guess photos are better than first hand observations. Maybe I'll suggest to my company's chief engineer that we start taking pictures and scaling them instead of going out and measuring by hand. Thank for the insight.

Steve, I figured the pictures were real. I didn't think anybody would take the time to fudge in the cranes behind the trees. I think they are great. My beef was not with you or your estimate. What set me off was other people telling me I was wrong based on pictures. That's all. Quite a few people here seem to get one thing in their mind and can't see the forest (or the cranes or the Magnum) thru the trees. Thanks again for taking the time and effort to do something that a lot of people have been asking for. It was appreciated.

-------------

First CP visit: 1963

20-year Season Pass Holder

Apparent Mis-guided Fool

Looking to the left of Millennium's first drop you can see the Gemini lift hill which stands at 125 feet. Using a scale, that would put Millennium at over 380 feet easily. Since we know this is incorrect, it becomes obvious that ride heights cannot be compared straight across the board. I think this height discrepancy demonstrates very clearly that the relative depth of field is not, in fact, diminished to insignificance.

While I'm not sure that Jdubya's estimates of an eventual 450 feet are correct, I do believe that the highest point of the tower does presently stand taller than Millennium. I just don't think we are dealing with great enough distances to cancel out height/distance relationships.

The tower is about MF's height...if you look at that pic, its almost as tall as the MF, yet we know how far away from the MF, so its about as tall as the MF.

Too many MF's :)

------------------
- Dennis

Dennis, I agree. Way too many. (he says as he is rolling on the floor laughing)

-------------

First CP visit: 1963

20-year Season Pass Holder

Apparent not-so-Mis-guided Laughing Fool

*** This post was not edited by jdubya because he got it right the first time on 11/15/2002 ***

I guess that we will find out the truth when an announcement is ultimately made. I didn't realize that you had gotten out there with your tape measure, Jdubya. Your word is apparently the last (for now). Could you have been wrong about the 150' height of Ripcord? I took you at your word on that since I didn't know it myself.

I plan on posting an apology if this thing hits 450' as you have predicted. I hope you will commit to do the same when it doesn't.

------------------
First CP Visit: 1970

Bob, you're right. We will find out soon enough. I didn't use a tape measure, only observations I made while at the park numerous times and looking up ride specs for heights. CP says Ripcord is 15 stories so I figured 150'. But that may be how far the riders are lifted and the arch may actually be taller. I firmly believe 450' is close because no one has come up with any logical explanation of anything different. It seems that Jeff is pretty quick to tell posters when they are way off base in their predictions and he hasn't shot me down. (yet - there's still time) If I'm wrong, I admit it. Then I'll be obsessed with figuring out where I went wrong. It's a curse.

I'll tell you what. After the park opens, let me know when you're going to be there. We can ride it together and afterwards, if the ride is under 400', I'll buy you an ice cream cone. And you'll get the apology. If it's close to 450', well, we will just have had that much more fun.

Waiting is boring, gotta make somthing of that time.

jdubya - I'm in...I like vanilla. Although i still think it will be over 400 ft, Hey..free ice cream cone. lol

------------------
- Dennis

you two (jdubya and bob) are arguing about. #16, as it stands now, is obviously about the same height as MF (or maybe a little taller). And the ride is not close to being finished, as the two towers have not even started to bend towards each other. On another topic, take a look at pictures 16causeway.jpg and 16powertower.jpg (the 1st and 4th pictures). What is that just to the right of Power Tower, about half way up? Is that a ParaSailer? UFO? Crazed ACE member trying to take pictures?

------------------
Bob M.

What is that just to the right of Power Tower, about half way up?

I believe that those are the lights in the parking lot. :)

E

I do not know what that is but if we knew how big it was we could measure the distance from the camera to the thingy floating there, then measure the distance from the power tower to #16, find the angle from the camera to raptor out AND THEN finally plug all those numbers in to the pythorgarium(sp) theory and we can easily tell what time it is! Hope this helps u all out. LOL :)
Dennis - I never figured you for a vanilla kind of guy. LOL Personally I prefer Toft's Moosetracks or butter pecan.

Bob M. - the "ufo" is a light fixture at the top of a pole in the parking lot.

(just like Eric said. Sorry, didn't realize he'd already posted it.)
*** This post was edited by jdubya 11/15/2002 2:04:32 PM ***

mmm vanilla, thats it i'm going out to get some ice cream lol

I wonder if parachuting over CP is even allowed during the offseason. i hope he was taking pictures.

------------------
- Dennis

Toft's Moosetracks? Oh, my undeniable favorite. I miss Toft's sooooooooooooooo much!
"It almost looks fake sitting out there."

I TOTALLY agree..

Parking lot lights, boy do I feel stupid! I had the picture scrolled up so I couldn't see the bottom half.

------------------
Bob M.

I've been following the discussion for awhile. I am convinced "jdubya" has correctly determined the height of #16. The new pictures today also clearly show the tower is now taller than MF. Jdubya might come off sounding a tad cocky sometimes, but I think that is a natural result of trying to convince others of something that is not entirely obvious.

I am personally extremely excited about the ride! I worked at CP summer 2001, and have been to perhaps 10 parks around the country and in Europe. One thing people always want is "more speed and height." I remember summer 2001 many folks were commenting that MF was all hill and everything after that was like a ride in a convertible. I promise not too many people will be disappointed with #16.

Credibility seems to be an issue on this board, so to perhaps strengthen my comments with some I want to mention that I will graduate Summa Cum Laude from Kent State next month. I also am the outstanding senior English major at Kent State.

Interesting first post. Seeing as you are graduating Summa Cum Laude with an English major I think we must put our faith in your hands that you have all the answers.

I sure miss college. How are things at the Rat?

Jdubya is one of the few people that has stated his thoughts on the ride, and have backed them up with significant evidence to support it. He is about as right as you can be on the ride's height now, and in the future. MF and PT in the foreground appear taller, but "Dragster" is undoubtably a tad taller.

------------------
Launch: Tophat: Twistage: Brakes...

...Denial is an ugly thing.

You must be logged in to post

POP Forums app ©2024, POP World Media, LLC - Terms of Service