Johnny Rockets being replaced by arcade.

For years, I would have wholeheartedly agreed with you. But I have to give credit where credit is due. CP has really upped their food game over the past couple of years. And the Grand Pavillion looks to (hopefully) continue that trend.

We have at least a partial answer of what’s going into Johnny Rockets! A mirror maze! Pic from inside shows the pieces and a box from “Keen Designs”. You go to the Keen website and there is an almost perfect match right on their front page of the pieces as a mirror maze!!

Well that's fun...

^^Could this be a beginning to a throwback Funhouse!?

I remember Grandma in a rocking chair with a cat beside her. -on the ceiling in an upside down room

....and I believe a slide at the end.

Last edited by Stacys,

No. If a maze is on the way I reckon it will be an ADA-compliant stand-alone attraction with an upcharge.
Your memories of the Upsidedown Fun House are accurate, though. The upside down living room was toward the beginning and the spiral slides were the exit.
The idea of an upside down walk-through is interesting and there are several elaborate attractions that exist around the world. I’m afraid Cedar Point’s original attraction will never be duplicated though.
The two best funhouses on earth (imo) are Gröna Lund’s Lustiga Huset and Phantasialand’s Das verrückte Hotel Tartuff. There are great vids of each on YouTube. Check ‘em out.

So topic adjacent. Main arcade just got a huge and flashy brand new sign. Would assume the theories of a dark ride going in there can die for a little while now.

I like the new-old sign styling popping up in that area!

Still haven't been able to uncross these circuits...
DJ Fischer

Because those dark ride theories were not based in reality, I don't suspect the existence of the sign will change anything.

However, it's wonderful to see the Arcade get some love. I wonder if this foretells of some improvements coming to the Coliseum? It's been looking a bit rough recently.

Brandon

Very nice looking sign, I hope someone posts a picture or video of it when illuminated so we can see how those lights work with it. That is, are they just lit, or do they have a flashing pattern?

The coliseum lettering reminds me of the Richfield Coliseum sign.

Wow, that's a memory. I have pictures somewhere of the inside when they were tearing it down.

Jeff - Advocate of Great Great Tunnels™ - Co-Publisher - PointBuzz - CoasterBuzz - Blog - Music

Jeff, on the Early Entry topic you were talking about YouTube. A couple months ago I watched a history of the Coliseum from it's origin to it's demolition. Loads of interior shots. Now the property is a bird sanctuary.

Last edited by jimmyburke,

Yeah, I lived down 303 in Brunswick when it came down. It seemed so small by then, especially compared to the new arena downtown.

Jeff - Advocate of Great Great Tunnels™ - Co-Publisher - PointBuzz - CoasterBuzz - Blog - Music

I can still smell that place. Some mixture of stale popcorn, cold concrete, urine and beer...and for the Lionel Richie concert the most post I had ever been around in my life....until recent trips to NYC.

"You can dream, create, design and build the most wonderful place in the world...but it requires people to make the dreams a reality."

-Walt Disney

To my eye, that Coliseum Arcade sign is awful! Doesn’t match the building at all.

1974: Catering Slave for Interstate United
1975-77: Catering Manager for Cedar Point

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder!

I can see your point. The sign is bright and vivid while the building itself is muted. It does seem to be a bit of a clash.

To Brandon's point above, it could be that this is a sign of what's to come for improvements to the building.

Right, the sign appears to have the same basic color palette, just more vivid. If they were to give the Coliseum a fresh coat it might fit better.

Brandon

Yeah, they'll update it when the dark ride goes in.

380 MF laps
Smoking Area Drone Pilot

I've never understood this idea of a dark ride going into the current coliseum arcade space. Unless you mean getting pushed around in a wheelbarrow (that was our pretend roller coaster go-to as a kid in my backyard) with the lights off.

Promoter of fog.

We did the same thing as kids. Only the kid in the wheelbarrow was blindfolded. Kevin, thanks for bringing a memory.

You must be logged in to post

POP Forums app ©2024, POP World Media, LLC - Terms of Service