Top Thrill Dragster 2022 Status

Frog Hopper King:

Tony handed an iPhone to an intern...

You do realize that marketing is a department, not a Tony, right?

The communications from the park so far clearly have been very intentional, to say otherwise is just silly.

The more you double down, the more you're going to be disappointed, and maybe a little embarrassed.

Jeff - Advocate of Great Great Tunnels™ - Co-Publisher - PointBuzz - CoasterBuzz - Blog - Music

In the eyes of the park, we are all “GP”. Sure, there may be an event or two in which special access and treatment is a thing, but everything they do is a benefit to their bottom line.

“Enthusiast” money is the same money, except a lot of park fans are often frugal due to their many trips per year, and don’t spend as much of it.

It would be interesting to know what percentages of park guests know dragster exists, about the incedent, that it closed, that it's being reimagined, and the different ideas of what that reimagining entails. I'm sure management has their estimates for all those, and I'm equally sure we'll never find out.

39%.

Promoter of fog.

It's a good point. From my anecdotal experience with my family and friends, most got the "announcement" via 3rd party news articles on sites like Facebook and they were all convinced it was being torn down.

The marketing angle is still what I keep struggling with on this and why I see it more as a footnote on 2023 rather than a significant splash with marketing dollars.

Again using my family as a GP focus group - they will be thrilled at the ride staying because Dragster goes fast! haha

I just dont see Cedar Fair being being interested in those percentages. Honestly, I cant see why that would even be a minute part of the decision on TTD. As its stated a few posts above, everything is done to benefit the bottom line. That's just how business works. They needed a safe, reliable, and affordable solution to keep the ride. Otherwise, it would have been gone. They aren't worried about confusing or disappointing guests. Millions of people came through the gates this year when TTD didn't operate and the same will happen next year, regardless of whether TTD is running or not, or "reimagined", or exactly the same with a new launch system.

Nick

^This is the attitude I keep hearing from certain posters and I just can't agree with it. How can we think that CF "aren't worried about confusing or disappointing guests"? That will surely lead to declining attendance no? A business cannot stay strong with that attitude. Forget last year, there are confounding variables related to last year. They will IMO need to wow us again in the near future with great new rides, and then again, and then again, to stay on or near the top. It is common business sense.

Kevinj:

39%.

I can only assume you missed a decimal point, and this should read 3.9%

Master D:

They will IMO need to wow us again in the near future with great new rides, and then again, and then again, to stay on or near the top. It is common business sense.

I just don't see that as the current management mentality. That is more Kinzel-era thinking. Do they need improvements and changes, of course. Does it have to be the biggest, baddest rides out there? Absolutely not. I love the Boardwalk addition and the Wild Mouse coaster for 2023. There's nothing special or recording breaking about it, but it is a good addition to the lineup and is revamping a cool area of the park.

As far as staying on or near the top? I'm not sure that is a priority either. Its been talked about in this thread how as much as enthusiasts like to think of CP as the mecca, its still just a regional park. CP just happens to have a lot of roller coasters which makes it special to enthusiasts. I live in Nashville and guess where most people here have been if they have been to an amusement park? Its Dollywood by a vast majority, followed by Holiday World and SFoG.

Nick

Master D:

How can we think that CF "aren't worried about confusing or disappointing guests"?

This line of thinking makes the incorrect assumption that the lack of Dragster disappointed anyone. I'm sure someone was disappointed, but not in any material way that people don't come back. It's not like there aren't a hundred other things to do at the park. It's like arguing you'll never go back to Publix because of that one time they were out of bran muffins.

Jeff - Advocate of Great Great Tunnels™ - Co-Publisher - PointBuzz - CoasterBuzz - Blog - Music

Master D:

How can we think that CF "aren't worried about confusing or disappointing guests"? That will surely lead to declining attendance no?

I generally agree that the whole "people don't care about new and exciting rides" attitude is too prevalent here. But as it relates to Dragster, I don't see it. A lot of people believe it's being torn down, and simply the fact that it's reopening will be big news to them. The name and color scheme don't matter. Those may change, or they may stay the same.

The launch technology doesn't matter either. Many of the non-enthusiasts I've talked about it with actually believed it was already a "magnetic" launch! The "Thrill" in "Top Thrill Dragster" is all that ever mattered.

^Its all about size scale and materiality. For example, my small hometown bar didn't carry my favorite beer. I inquired about it to the manager and she very graciously started ordering it. Why? Because I am a loyal customer in a customer base of about 100 people. If I had gone downtown where people line up outside Broadway bars waiting to get in, and said I would like them to order specifically for me, the only option I have is to drink something else, drink nothing, or go find another bar. Even if I never came back, there are plenty of others to replace me. The same goes for CP...if 100,000 guests are upset about TTD or any other scenario, they can ride something else, ride nothing, or just leave. Even if some vowed to never return, CP is still gonna do just fine.

Nick

I hope they rename it to Top Bran Muffin'ster.

Jeff:

You do realize that marketing is a department, not a Tony, right?

oops, you missed my try at subtle humor.

Jeff:
The more you double down, the more you're going to be disappointed, and maybe a little embarrassed.

My position is that they are flipping to LSMs, new trains, new paint, new name/theme. It seems currently the most I could be wrong about is the paint/theme. I don't think I'm going to be disappointed or embarrassed.

And Exit English, I think you are actually proving my point. I was trying to show that CP is thinking about GP perception, not an enthusiast. Their statement was crafted for non-enthusiasts to understand, not to breadcrumb us along.

Jeff:
It's like arguing you'll never go back to Publix because of that one time they were out of bran muffins.

You CLEARLY have never gone to Publix only to find out that the Bogo deal you had heard of had run out. That sh-t hits DEEP.

argues just for clicks

Kevinj:

39%.

I believe you meant to say 37.

Frog Hopper King:

The communications from the park so far clearly have been very intentional, to say otherwise is just silly.

No one is saying the marketing is accidental or completely random or whatever, but people are extrapolating literally several tens of millions of cap ex out of simple word choices, which is patently insane. But hey, not their money, right? Much easier to spend someone else's money if you're not accountable for the outcome, like RCT in sandbox mode.

Brandon

e x i t english:

I believe you meant to say 37.

In a row?

Promoter of fog.

Thank you for the very fitting Clerks reference. Much appreciated.

I'm not even supposed to be here today.

Closed topic.

POP Forums app ©2024, POP World Media, LLC - Terms of Service