Top Thrill Dragster 2022 Status

Exit English it seems like you are suggesting that aliens were somehow involved in the coaster wars.

... makes sense... this puts Dick Kinzel in a while new light.

argues just for clicks

So to those posting that CP will be just fine with or without TTD are you saying CP should stand pat with their current headliners forever? I’m guessing no. So when should they build another headliner? In 10 years? 5 years? Has the amusement park world changed so much that a big, new, shiny, superlative-laden roller coaster is no longer needed to grow or compete? Past history shows that surely is not the case and new unique coasters continue to be built all over the world every year at most parks. I’m honestly not understanding. Using the attendance numbers referenced above to draw a conclusion suffers from confounding variables (reopening normal operations after the pandemic is just one of them). I do understand the idea of a well rounded experience but how long can the good attendance be maintained without a new, shiny headliner?

It's not rocket science. Look at how many major ride investments the park has made over the last ~16 years, and you'll see that on average they've built something major about every 3 years. And yes, I'm including Wild Mouse because despite the jaded enthusiass response to it, it is a major ride investment.

More relevant to the outlandish suggestions in this thread, look at how many massive 400' tall rides have been built in the last 20 years if you want an indication of whether or not parks think building rides of that scale makes ROI sense. And while TTD's tower already exists, adding thousands of feet of expensive steel track onto it in addition to the considerable investment they're already undertaking with the launch and controls improvements would be the same unrealistic realm of adding a new 400' coaster.

You know what else would be a "headliner?" A modern wood coaster, which would cost a fraction of the Planet Coaster-esque TTD extended layout nonsense, and would have the added benefit of further rounding out their ride collection.

Brandon

It's funny you mention both the enthusiast response and the lack of a modern woodie. Two other random takeaways I had from this past Sunday...

First was walking past someone in front of the boardwalk fence, who was clearly filming themselves for social media of some sort, while saying to their hypothetical audience, "This is where they TORE DOWN Wicked Twister for a Wild Mouse", with a tone of withering contempt usually reserved for Ohio State vs Michigan conversations.

Second was my delayed realization after riding Blue Streak and hearing the ride op dispatch with "Enjoy your ride on Cedar Point's only wooden roller coaster", that huh, for as much as Cedar Fair has invested in new woodies for the other parks over the last decade and change, somehow Cedar Point keeps on keeping on with just Blue Streak to represent.

From what Ive read, heard, watched.. woodies are very expensive. They require routine track walks and constant maintenance and upkeep for the track and structure. They are alot of work from what I understand. I bet that constant woodwork adds up to a pretty pwnny over time.

Jordan_Vanichek:

Also Jeff, I am curious as to what the quarter results including Halloweekends will be.

You don't have to be revenue curious, just read the release. It includes results through October.

That Crazy Dan:
who was clearly filming themselves for social media of some sort

I see those idiots at WDW all of the time, fighting through the crowds to explain why no one is going to visit the parks anymore.

NextGen89:
...woodies are very expensive.

Only if you're Herschel Walker. Zing! Seriously though, it totally depends. A park like Fun Spot in Orlando can afford to build one, and they do a pretty good job maintaining it as well. Furthermore, there are some solid innovations in track construction that are clearly going to change things. See Gravity Group's new vertical laminated prefab track. Folks who have experienced that on Racer and The Beast say it's awfully smooth, and it should last a lot longer.

Jeff - Advocate of Great Great Tunnels™ - Co-Publisher - PointBuzz - CoasterBuzz - Blog - Music

Also, there's a better case to justify the cost of a woodie considering they do not have a modern one. They already have several massive steel coasters making an extension of TTD comparatively redundant and therefore more difficult to justify.

Brandon

Jeff:

Only if you're Herschel Walker. Zing!

So the woman in the accident is off limits (which I agree with) but a woman (or.multiple women) more than likely being forced into a life changing event such as abortion is considered humor to you? I think maybe both of those things should be off limits and shows what you're willing to joke about while claiming to have the moral high ground.

Last edited by vwhoward,

Joe
Eat 'em up, Tigers, eat 'em up!

djDaemon:

Also, there's a better case to justify the cost of a woodie considering they do not have a modern one.

Does the average park guest care that Blue Streak is the only wooden coaster? I would guess as long as a coaster gives a good ride most people don't care if it is steel, wood, or plastic.

^The average park guest thinks Gemini, Mine Ride, and SV are wooden coasters. 🤣

Joe

To the average park guest, Steel Vengeance and Gemini are wooden coasters. The park doesn’t need another “true” woodie.

vwhoward:

So the woman in the accident is off limits (which I agree with) but a woman (or.multiple women) more than likely being forced into a life changing event such as abortion is considered humor to you?

Did I make a joke about those women? No, I made a joke about a horrible human being and public figure. Don't act like you can't tell the difference.

Jeff - Advocate of Great Great Tunnels™ - Co-Publisher - PointBuzz - CoasterBuzz - Blog - Music

Jeff:

A park like Fun Spot in Orlando can afford to build one, and they do a pretty good job maintaining it as well.

have you ridden mind-blower at the Kissimmee location? Woof that was a rough ride. I'm guessing that white lightning has better upkeep.

argues just for clicks

CPVet:

The park doesn’t need another “true” woodie.

I think CP would benefit from a woodie along the lines of Mystic Timbers at KI. That woodie is pretty damn good.

I agree, that would be nice addition to CP for sure.

I would not be shocked if over the next 5-10 years they spend their resources rehabbing or replacing existing rides that are aging like corkscrew, blue streak, mine ride etc.

Jeff:

Did I make a joke about those women? No, I made a joke about a horrible human being and public figure. Don't act like you can't tell the difference.

Now you're using the same mental gymnastics the guy here was using when he said he wasn't making fun of the woman but Cedar Point, Intamin, and Dragster itself. But ok. You're jokes was absolutely about abortion in the context you made it. Don't act like you can't tell the difference.

Joe

maverickDude:

I would not be shocked if over the next 5-10 years they spend their resources rehabbing or replacing existing rides that are aging like corkscrew, blue streak, mine ride etc.

I know this is a little off topic, but this is my hope.
I think a good portion of the ride profile of the park is outdated and needs a face lift. Corkscrew, Mine Ride, Blue Streak and maybe even magnum could use updated trains and or Retracking.

in my dream scenario, Mine Ride would be replaced by a Firechasser express like family attraction.

argues just for clicks

vwhoward:

Now you're using the same mental gymnastics the guy here was using when he said he wasn't making fun of the woman but Cedar Point, Intamin, and Dragster itself

How is referring to Top Thrill Dragster as "Shoot the Sensor Plate", or "Top Kill Dragster" making fun of any woman?

It's making fun of the accident that, you know, altered a woman's life forever.

Joe

Closed topic.

POP Forums app ©2024, POP World Media, LLC - Terms of Service