Top Thrill Dragster 2022 Status

I stopped going to the park when they tore out snoopy bounce.

The Crystal Method is the only way to find The Winner!

Cedar Point used to advertise being the Roller Coaster Capital of the World. I know they've shifted away from that a little bit but trying to become well rounded and cater to families. But I think they can continue to do both. You can have a Wild Mouse coaster that's great for younger riders and families, all while having an elite coaster like Steel Vengeance and hopefully whatever reimagining Top Thrill Dragster becomes.

If the park decides to change the layout of TTD, it could become one of the best coasters on earth. Instead of paying full price for an entire new coaster, you could use that money and invest into improving what's already there. Imagine how much it'd cost to build TTD from scratch in today's economy. It would be a lot, I'd assume. So to have the 400ft structure already in place, and to add onto the rest, make it safer, and more reliable would be a huge win for the park

Been visiting yearly with my now wife to celebrate our anniversary since 2010. Proposed on top of Valravn in '17 during the Sunrise Thrills Tour. Proud owner of two bricks in the Legacy Walk and have a piece of Wicked Twister

Cedar Pointer:

...when they tore out snoopy bounce.

Promoter of fog.

This isn't necessarily directed at you alone, because several people are guilty of this, but one of the things that is irritating regarding the "if only they enacted my RCT fever dream it would be a huge win for the company" suggests that the people in charge don't know what they're doing. Which is, of course, ridiculous on top of being insulting.

They have the data. They've done the math. The people suggesting grand changes to TTD's layout don't and haven't.

Brandon

Re: data and math, I'm very curious if there are some Sabermetrics-like statistics for each individual ride in regards to calculating popularity and capacity vs upkeep and return on investment and such.

Most apropos statistic I can think of would be if there was some analogue to Wins Above Replacement, in terms of attempting to quantify each ride's contribution to the park as a single number.

The enthusiast community continues to amaze me at how often they become so invested in the idea and perception that Cedar Point needs rides like TTD for (insert reason). When it reopens, whenever that will be, I promise you attendance won’t magically skyrocket.

IMO this type of reasoning we have been hearing from many is correct in the short term but wrong in the long term. Let's say CP takes a new approach and adds very few rides in the next 10 years and the rides they add are mediocre (nothing cutting edge, no record breakers, nothing very special). Are we saying this will NOT impact attendance at all over the next ten years? Of course it would. Even if it is every 4-5 years or so, CP needs to add premier thrill rides to their lineup to maintain their reputation, excitement levels and future attendance.

Are we saying this will NOT impact attendance at all over the next ten years?

Yes. You're hung up on rides when the management is correctly focusing on making sure people have a good time. Good enough that they want to come back next year. That's why Magic Kingdom could go decades with a couple of mediocre roller coasters and still be the trip that families aspire to.

Frog Hopper King:

When did Space spiral, shoot the rapids, and Snoopy Bounce EVER pull anyone to the park?

Subtle humor is obviously not your thing.

mgou58:
There’s enough diversity in attractions and experience at the park that the general public could care less about TTD being closed.

This is what paying attention looks like.

Jeff - Advocate of Great Great Tunnels™ - Co-Publisher - PointBuzz - CoasterBuzz - Blog - Music

Anybody see that video on youtube of Top Thrill Dragster with a traditional lift chain? Pretty cool idea. Click, Click, Click your way up the 90 degree incline for 3-4 minutes would be quite traumatic for even the most enthusiastic coaster enthusiast! I think we'd have to put a Depends vending machine at the line queue entrance :) I hope its in the reimagination budget!

Jeff:

Frog Hopper King:

When did Space spiral, shoot the rapids, and Snoopy Bounce EVER pull anyone to the park?

Subtle humor is obviously not your thing.

"Subtle humor" in a form like this doesn't work. So hilarious. Rotfl.

Last edited by Frog Hopper King,

argues just for clicks

Only if you don't get the joke.

Jeff - Advocate of Great Great Tunnels™ - Co-Publisher - PointBuzz - CoasterBuzz - Blog - Music

"Anybody see that video on youtube of Top Thrill Dragster with a traditional lift chain? "

Oh! The capacity!!!

Master D is absolutely correct. For the long term success of the park, I think I needs to maintain it's reputation. If they turn TTD into an elite coaster, that solidifies themselves as one of the top parks in the world. That keeps people coming back!

Been visiting yearly with my now wife to celebrate our anniversary since 2010. Proposed on top of Valravn in '17 during the Sunrise Thrills Tour. Proud owner of two bricks in the Legacy Walk and have a piece of Wicked Twister

MrJohnJLewis:

Master D is absolutely correct. For the long term success of the park, I think I needs to maintain it's reputation.

And whether or not a retrofitted Dragster reopens or they turn that area into yet another BBQish restaurant, they will still be one of the "top parks in the world" that will satisfy whichever superlative you feel is critical for their success.

Taken from the Sandcastle Suites thread:

Joe E:

Walking around LHP midday I always see a decent portion of folks a just relaxing at their sites. Some are there all day it seemed enjoying the weather and the views. My guess is they are staying there longer and don't feel the need to be at the park all day and every day.

Another example why the park doesn't need to focus on building thrill rides. It's not just the park, but the entire property as a well-rounded resort.

DaveDzRochNY:

Oh! The capacity!!!

Didn't think I'd get to use this twice in one week, but here we go (now with grain and vignetting):

Cartwright:

And whether or not a retrofitted Dragster reopens or they turn that area into yet another BBQish restaurant, they will still be one of the "top parks in the world" that will satisfy whichever superlative you feel is critical for their success

This doesn’t make sense. Then why didn’t they just put another BBQ joint there to begin with instead of building TTD? Could have saved a whole lot of money for the same ROI. Why did they bother with expensive RMC for Steel Vengeance? They could have just smoothed out a few rough spots and kept Mean Streak and saved a lot of money for the same ROI. I wonder why CP did those things???

MrJohnJLewis:

Master D is absolutely correct. For the long term success of the park, I think I needs to maintain it's reputation. If they turn TTD into an elite coaster, that solidifies themselves as one of the top parks in the world. That keeps people coming back!

I mean, this is just delusional. The park is more successful today than it has ever been, while debuting only 3 marquee attractions in the last 15 years. Yes, they will continue to invest in marquee attractions as their existing attractions age out, but to suggest they need to invest massive sums in the TTD project in order to achieve success is completely detached from reality considering they are already realizing record revenue and strong attendance while the old, apparently-not-elite-TTD has been closed for more than a year.

Brandon

This talk is all pointless. Clearly Cedar Point deemed Top Thrill Dragster important enough to reinvest in, whether it’s 5mill or 50mill. Otherwise it would’ve been scrapped for a wild mouse.

Enthusiasts talking about ROI and dumping buckets of money in a 20 year old ride...

Its a write-off for them.

Closed topic.

POP Forums app ©2024, POP World Media, LLC - Terms of Service