Top Thrill Dragster 2022 Status

Genoa, Italy is the port you would ship to if you were shipping to Intamin. It's less than a 5 hour drive from the port to Intamin. Perhaps they are sending some track to their engineers so they can create a roadmap for fitting LSM's on the existing track.

Us? Who decided they were the world leader, and even if they were, how did this affect Magic Mountain?

Jeff, that is a softball question.

-Amusement Today. They established the golden ticket awards. Cedar Point won from 1998-2013 (Best Park) and used it in all their marketing. They also won numerous best new attraction and best steel coaster awards.

-Cedar Point themselves. The marketing is clear:

-"Rollercoaster Capital of the World"

-"Americas Roller-coast"

-"Home of the worlds best rollercoasters."

These came straight from the Cedar Point marketing guide.

Families with money spending parents are important, yes, extremely important. It is why Cedar Point needs to be a well rounded park.

That being said, the notion that Cedar Point is the greatest thrill ride location in the world is what put it on the map internationally.

Augustmueller:

If magnets can launch aircraft from aircraft carriers perhaps they can also launch a coaster train to 100+mph in short time/distance.

The EMALS system is far less than reliable. A recent GAO report stated they don't expect it to hit "reliability goals" till the 2030's (First test launch was 2010). It's breaking down around once out of every 180 cycles. The old launch system, once every 4k.

I wouldn't use the system as a talking point. ;)

June 11th, 2001 - Gemini 100
VertiGo Rides - 82
R.I.P. Fright Zone, and Cyrus along with it.

So, more reliable than TTD. Got it.

NextGen89:

The marketing is clear:

-"Rollercoaster Capital of the World"

-"Americas Roller-coast"

-"Home of the worlds best rollercoasters."

That kind of marketing only targeted a small group.

NextGen89:

the notion that Cedar Point is the greatest thrill ride location in the world is what put it on the map internationally.

What percentage of CP's annual revenue comes from international guests? Hell, what percentage of their annual revenue comes from guests west of the Mississippi?

Brandon

Look's like the track is being shipped to Italy. While that is not 100 percent evidence that Intamin is involved, it does seem like the track is being sent back to Intamin or maybe even Mack rides. (really any developers out of Europe are an option at this point).

I will say, I am pretty perplexed by CP shipping the track. On one side like Jeff was saying, the track is either incredibly close to or has reached its shelf life and would need to be replaced (A-la The Incredible Hulk)
On the other hand, why would they carefully remove the track if it wasn't going to be reused?

The mystery keeps getting more complicated and I am HERE for it!

argues just for clicks

All we know is that one container of track is on its way to Italy. And while the care with which they removed other sections of track does indicate those pieces will see the same fate, that's not a sure thing. So it is possible that some track on its way to Italy is headed to Intamin for analysis, which would make some sense since TTD is the first, longest-tenured ride of its kind, and the condition of the track after ~18 seasons could give them insight on how the track fared compared to their design expectations, which could help them optimize future track design.

This isn't to say this outcome is any more likely than any other, but it's one possibility that would make some sense given that, as Jeff said, the track is closer to end of life than beginning.

Brandon

I think the evidence is pointing more and more to Intamin doing this conversion. Sometimes (usually) the most obvious answer is the right one.

NextGen89:

That being said, the notion that Cedar Point is the greatest thrill ride location in the world is what put it on the map internationally.

Expanding on what Brandon said above....It may be on the map internationally for enthusiasts, but Cedar Point is not an international destination by any means. 8 hours away in Nashville, most of the people I talk to haven't heard of Cedar Point, and even fewer have been, and most of those are transplants from Ohio or Michigan. On the other hand, if I ask about Dollywood in the Nashville area, almost all know of it and very good majority have been. As much as we love to think of Cedar Point as the mecca of amusement parks, it is and will continue to be a local destination. Outside of Disney, most amusement parks are known only in there respective regions, regardless of the number or intensity of attractions.

Last edited by Tennessee_CP_Fan,

Nick

CPVet:

I think the evidence is pointing more and more to Intamin doing this conversion.

Seems that way, but in that case they're spending an awful lot of money to modify old track, which is strange. I know steel is pricey at the moment, but give that an LSM and controls conversion will give the ride another 20+ years of service life, it seems like (to me, a layman) it would be financially justifiable to invest in new track.

Brandon

NextGen89:

Jeff, that is a softball question.

Then answer it with something that isn't the park's marketing or the meaningless AT poll. Also, how did this superiority affect other parks? And by extension, why does it mean they have to concentrate on roller coasters?

Last edited by Jeff,

Jeff - Advocate of Great Great Tunnels™ - Co-Publisher - PointBuzz - CoasterBuzz - Blog - Music

It’s possible that the track is being shipped to Ingenieurbüro Stengel GmbH in München, Germany.

He's just a designer isn't he? Not an actual manufacturer.

Meaningless to some maybe but not others. And what not concentrate on coasters?

Last edited by MagnumMatt,

Real Life != RollerCoaster Tycoon.

MagnumMatt:

And what not concentrate on coasters?

Because doing so is a relatively poor us of cap ex. You realize Cedar Fair runs a business, right?

Brandon

Sure I do. But it has done them well in the past. Not saying they need to concentrate on coasters every year but is has been a while since they made a splash with a record breaker. It certainly hasn’t hurt them in the past. Cedar Point has lead the way for record breakers and would be nice to see that continue. I just think it’s time for another record breaker that’s all. Been four years since SV and just chomping at the bit for a new record breaker. What they’ve done over the past few years has been nice to say the least with new food choices and improvements to the park no doubt.

Their marketing can continue to focus on coasters without adding any more record breakers. Even without a new record breaking ride, the park has the most stacked lineup of any park on the planet.

I am a bit puzzled myself why some here appear to be downplaying the importance of premier coasters at CP. Yes the whole experience matters (hotel, beach, food, flat rides), but premier roller coasters creates the most "buzz". I know plenty of non-enthusiasts and over the years the only times we really discuss CP is when new, premier coasters are built. What grabs the attention of the kids and teens? Big, exciting new roller coasters. People can go to a beach many other places. People can ride good flat rides at smaller local parks or even fairs. People are not going to CP because of the food (generally speaking). And although I like Breakers, without the big exciting coasters surrounding it, the occupancy would be much, much lower. Maybe I am misunderstanding what some are saying here but to say CP doesn't need to keep up with the Joneses as far as new premier coasters is IMO missing the point.

Closed topic.

POP Forums app ©2024, POP World Media, LLC - Terms of Service