Top Thrill Dragster 2022 Status

Kevin, maybe it's my phone but that pic you posted didn't show up.

Joe
Eat 'em up, Tigers, eat 'em up!

Curious, does this version show up?

Promoter of fog.

yep

It still being racing themed would be kind of a bummer, to be honest.

Yes Kevin that loaded in great for me.

Still haven't been able to uncross these circuits...
DJ Fischer

Did they send all the track back or just some of it? Perhaps they are shipping it back because some engineering needs to be done to retrofit the track for the new launch and brakes so they needed a few sample pieces to test.

It could just be that it's less costly to ship containers of track than it is to pay for travel expenses of several skilled employees. Shipping a 40' container by sea only costs a few grand.

Brandon

Shipping overseas by container costs a lot more than a few grand these days if you can even get a container. We just shipped a bunch of equipment across seas by container and it costs tens of thousands. We had a hard time even getting a container.

Last edited by MagnumMatt,

Just hope this doesn’t happen

That one worked great. Thanks, Kevin.

Joe
Eat 'em up, Tigers, eat 'em up!

MagnumMatt:

Shipping overseas by container costs a lot more than a few grand these days if you can even get a container.

Your anecdote does not match the global reality:

Ocean Shipping Rates Plunged 60% In 2022

Freight rates on the primary ocean trade channels are sinking during a time typically identified as the peak season in the industry after cargo owners reportedly shipped their holiday goods early and inflation dented consumer demands.

World Container Index - 13 Oct

Drewry’s composite World Container Index decreased by 6% to $3,483.19 per 40ft container this week.

Ocean freight rates are down...

The cost of shipping freight containers across the Pacific Ocean has cooled from record highs hit during the pandemic...

...the average price for a freight container Friday was $2,720.

As a point of reference, if I am visiting a customer in the US far enough away that airfare is involved, we charge roughly $8,000 for a 3 day visit to cover travel expenses and labor. Internationally that would increase substantially. So you can see that even at higher costs for shipping it makes fiscal sense in most cases to send things to people rather than the other way around.

Brandon

It’s not an anecdote it’s reality. We deal with it daily shipping containers world wide. You’re referencing good old news outlets which I don’t trust as far as I can throw them.

“You shouldn’t throw anyone Ed with your bad back and all.” - Grace

It does cost more to ship them in the lower bowels of the ship vs the top since you have a better risk of losing them overboard. Last shipment to across the pond costs us more than $20k. However that included dropping the container off picking it up and shipping it to the port. So your above is probably correct if we are just looking at a container and shipping from port to port not including transportation costs to and from the port.

Just my take from what I see.

Ah yes, the good ol' "I don't trust data that conflicts with my anecdotal experience" worldview, brought to you by the letter Q.

The WCI is a composite based on actual shipping rates as calculated by Drewry, it doesn't come from "news outlets."

Brandon

Point taken.

I’m just going off of everyday quotes and POs that are issued and written.

Again it’s reality. I live it everyday.

It might then be safe to assume, considering the over-the-water shipping method, that we won’t see the track return for some time (if at all).

If the track is reused for the reimagine, this might be the most technically advanced retrofit to an existing coaster yet.

Add that to the records broken list.

Is it at all likely they would sell the track back to Intamin, or someone else? I'm assuming it would be cheaper for them to use the already fabricated track if they had some other project that could use it, but with the costs of transport, refurbishment, etc. It may not be.

This is my first post, hello everyone!! Long-time Point-fanatic, Passholder, Amusement and Coaster enthusiast here.

*First Coaster: Corkscrew @ Geauga Lake.

*First Cedar Point visit: 1988

*First Stay at Cedar Point: 1991 Sandcastle Suites

I had to chime in, as I've followed these forums frequently time to time. Personally, I don't put too much stock in Cedar Fair reusing 20-year old track on one of their Flagship attractions, at their Flagship Park. I can't see any of this INTAMIN Coaster being reused or re-modified at Our Beloved Park. And honestly, this whole process sounds like an engineering nightmare and liability, especially after the accident.

Yes, steel is steel, but not all steel has taken the abuse of 120 mph hydraulic launches and Northeast Ohio Winters for nearly 2 decades. Any roller coaster at this point of their lifespan can possibly be candidates for re-tracking (ex: HULK @ Universal) or removal. Looking at the potential and probability of an additional 10-20 years of operation going forward, I have to think that a Company like Cedar Fair will treat this investment in a more serious manner. Just my opinion.

How necessary are shipping containers if the track is being shipped somewhere within the States to be re-profiled and re-fabricated to fit LSMs? Why isn't all brand new track fabricated within the states shipped in containers if it's a significant financial advantage in doing so? Is a conversion and re-utilization of 20-year old engineering really the best option, and most cost-effective remedy to make the conversion to an alternative launching system of this magnitude? Is it necessary to remove/replace the Launch Supports as well? With such a large crane still on site, what's it's next use? How soon will construction begin if they're just now retrieving the track to be modified?

Top Thrill Dragster "as we know it" is retired? The ride is being carefully loaded into shipping containers, supports and all... With the 2nd era of the coaster wars coming, do we think Cedar Point will tame an attraction like TTD by removing what made it famous (Hydraulic Launch) with a lesser LSM Launch? At what point, is it easier, better from a marketing standpoint, and much more logical to just start over from scratch? Regardless of which outcome happens, I cannot wait see it all unfold?

Last edited by CaptCruzeBlueStrain83,

Exactly. So many how, ifs, why, whats.

welcome aboard, CaptCruzeBlueStrain83!

Your argument is that they are meticulously removing the ride piece by piece, stacking and storing it nicely and loading onto shipping containers because they are going to remove the ride completely and start from scratch? Seems like a waste of time and money in that case.

I believe that it has been sold, and we're seeing the first parts of it being shipped out.

Last edited by CaptCruzeBlueStrain83,

Closed topic.

POP Forums app ©2024, POP World Media, LLC - Terms of Service