Top Thrill Dragster 2022 Status

Because they have more time now than later. It’s still a big project

Even though the cable can be replaced overnight, it still has to be quite the undertaking of equipment & personnel.

Assuming it is reopening in 2023 (I believe it has given it's last ride), it seems inefficient to plan the same job twice using the equipment & personnel when it can be done at the same time in the spring.

On the other hand, there are likely many more factors that I/ we are not considering.

Beer and golf Thursday thru Monday, Cedar Point & beer, Tuesday and Wednesday.

Can you see One-Eyed-Willie from the top of Magnum?

I agree that it's tough to reason why they would take it out now in either scenario, but it could be as simple as they had time to do the removal but not the reinstall at this point, perhaps because taking it out is less time consuming than the install.

Or the ride is coming down and for some reason this is the first of many steps in that process.

Brandon

Perhaps it is easier to perform a comprehensive recheck of every sensor and brake fin/cylinder with the cable off?

As I think about it a little more, could removing the cable be part of the normal off season maintenance? They have had the catch car in the maintenance shop during winter chill out, so I guessed I can’t tell if this is part of getting an early start on the off season maintenance, or prepping to tear down the ride.

CPVet said:

...certain people on this site were so adamant for years about Mantis never being converted into a floorless and Mean Streak never being RMC’d “because there would be no ROI” was typically the go-to reasoning…

I don't know who was making that case, but converting a ride that sees declining ridership and poor capacity extends the service life of the ride and gives marketing something to sell that year for a few million bucks. Seems like a good deal to me.

Converting the launch mechanism on Dragster is not a meaningful comparison.

Jeff - Advocate of Great Great Tunnels™ - Co-Publisher - PointBuzz - CoasterBuzz - Blog - Music

Probably converting it to streaming if they cut the cable

First ride; Magnum 1994

If they were willing to spend that much money on a refurb, moving the line out of the infield leaves room for a new back and forth track section. Those brakes are absorbing a lot of momentum that could be used for other elements.

It’s interesting to note that the Dragster car that is by the exit/photo booth has also been removed. However, I did say before that I think the entrance could be over there and utilize a lot of the old Blood on the Bayou area as the new queue.

Let me add a math spoiler. Red Force, the LSM ride, has 500 feet of launch track, same as Dragster. But Dragster is 60 feet taller with longer trains.

Jeff - Advocate of Great Great Tunnels™ - Co-Publisher - PointBuzz - CoasterBuzz - Blog - Music

While I don’t think an LSM conversion is likely to happen, is it out of the question to think that progressing technology would allow LSMs to launch the train to 120mph in 500 feet? Are LSM capabilities limited? *serious question*

I recall saying that I thought it was strange that they had that large fenced in area by the hotel as a staging area for a wild mouse coaster only. And while some parts were staged there, many pieces are already inside the park.

And with no other new additions to the park next year I have to believe this area is being used for something else, and I’d wager that this is where Dragster pieces and parts will be stored temporarily; whether it’s for new parts or the ride removal remains to be seen.

The current staging area is significantly smaller than that of Maverick and Valravn. I don’t think Dragster’s pieces for removal 1) Would be salvaged if they are indeed removing the ride. I’d wager that the track would be scrapped. 2) Would fit in this staying area.

I feel confident in saying that the staging area is for nothing more than Wild Mouse pieces.

You’ll notice that I stated it could be for removal or new parts.

Cable doesn’t get in the way of that but it would get in the way of replacing sheaves and launch nylon. There are a lot of reasons to take out a cable. Not a lot of reasons to remove a cable of its being demolished entirely later.

Last edited by bigdude1,

I still don't know where this launch conversion talk is coming from, unless converting the way the ride launches removes the part of the ride that lobotomized that poor woman.

A big change would give them an excuse to rebrand. That would remove the entire ride (that lobotomized that poor woman) from their catalog, while keeping the 18th coaster count, and potentially fixing the maintenance issues that have been problematic in the past. I think the dragster name/theme still has value though.

Really though it's all just wishful thinking.

Hudson said:

A big change would give them an excuse to rebrand. That would remove the entire ride (that lobotomized that poor woman)

The last I heard nobody knew what happened to the person who was injured at TTD. Did that change? Very sad if the injury was that severe!

I was just quoting from pyro's post above, not claiming to have any detailed info.

PyroKinesis09 said:

I still don't know where this launch conversion talk is coming from, unless converting the way the ride launches removes the part of the ride that lobotomized that poor woman.

Well they could achieve two goals at the same time no?

Goal #1: Fix the trains so nothing ever flies off again.

Goal #2: Improve the ride reliability with a new launch system (which requires new trains anyway).

Closed topic.

POP Forums app ©2024, POP World Media, LLC - Terms of Service