Cedar Fair and Sandusky New Agreement(s)

Either you’re being sarcastic or otherwise you’re extremely ignorant. I’m hoping it’s sarcasm.

mgou58, I was making reference to CED23's premise that the city was dying and was doing nothing on it own to reverse that trend. EXTREME sarcasm on my part - the bike path being a reference to one of the many great things that the city HAS recently done to improve itself. Take a look at my post immediately before the one you quoted for how I REALLY feel... ;-)

Last edited by Rusty,

Proud to have fathered a second generation coaster enthusiast destined to keep me young at heart and riding coasters with a willing partner into my golden years!

mgou58 said:

Rusty said:
Sandusky (you know - the town that refuses to do anything to improve itself and is a dying city).

Either you’re being sarcastic or otherwise you’re extremely ignorant. I’m hoping it’s sarcasm.

Sandusky is a dingly & dying area like many rural areas/cities in OH. The main areas of improvement revolve around things Cedar Fair has done, dorms, the Bowling Green Campus Complex, the sports Complexes, etc.....or the new Holiday Inn, there related to Cedar Point. The reason Sandusky has been whining about CF moving some corporate to Charlotte b/c Cedar Point/Cedar Fair is all they really have. That is directly by CF being the #1 tax payer by far & indirectly collecting bed taxes,etc... The town would be dead already w/o Cedar Point & is declining even with it. It's a dying city & low income. The median household income is like $32K, that's in the bottom 10 of like 250 municipalities in OH. Facts hurt, it's a dying city propped up only by Cedar Fair/Cedar Point

Last edited by CED23,

I really don't think the mere existence of the city of Sandusky should offend you this much

Clearly CED23 has spend little to no time in downtown Sandusky, or in any area of Sandusky for that matter. The city has done a lot just in the past three years to bring many much needed improvements as well as new businesses. They’ve placed an emphasis on investing into local communities and neighborhoods and are actually making an effort to reduce areas that are empty or abandoned.

As it’s your personal opinion it is what it is, but it’s an ignorant one at best. And citing average annual income levels has next to nothing to do with what a city is capable of in terms of revitalization.

Lol...You must be from the hole or are pure delusional. It's the epitome of the many rural dying small cities in OH. Sorry facts hurt, the income level is about your tax base or lack thereof. The median household income is the equivalent of a $16/hr job, maybe you think that's good, but it isn't. All of it circles back to the several year of whining & fretting about CF corporate moving some offices. All the town really has is CF/CP & they need them to pay for everything b/c Sandusky has little to no tax base besides CP & things related to it..ie..bed tax.

Last edited by CED23,

If Cedar POINT left Sandusky, it would be a tremendous blow to the area which the city probably would not survive. If Cedar FAIR left Sandusky, it would be unfortunate, but I would venture to say that would not cripple the town. Thankfully the former is never going to happen. Only time will tell if the latter eventually happens. But there are plenty of other businesses doing great things in (and for the) town.

mgou58 is spot on. I've lived in Sandusky for 22 years, after spending about that same amount of time in a truly dying Ohio city. My hometown is a shell of what it was in its heyday back when the steel mills were thriving. My new home is booming with new places to shop and eat and places to go to have fun other than/in addition to Cedar Point. CED23, you are entitled to your opinions about Sandusky, but I think you are missing the boat when you characterize it as "dying." Dying implies that it is on a decline. The developments and improvements in downtown Sandusky and beyond may not be on the same pace or scale as a place like Charlotte, NC (which is a much larger place to begin with), but they definitely have Sandusky on an upswing - which completely defeats your dying city reference.

Proud to have fathered a second generation coaster enthusiast destined to keep me young at heart and riding coasters with a willing partner into my golden years!

Please don't tell me Cedar Point is not essentially all they have, they have essentially admitted such.

If the amusement park doesn’t open: 2020

• Until July, revenue losses for the city could reach about $4.6 million

• At all in 2020, revenue losses for the city could reach $10.1 million

Because of the government’s sheer dependency on tourism — through revenue streams like admissions, income and lodging taxes.........

The three revenue streams account for roughly 80 percent of Sandusky’s everyday operating budget, $24.5 million, generating tax dollars to fund services like police, fire, roads, recreation and many others.

Last edited by CED23,

CED23: we get it. You hate Sandusky. Move along in the conversation. Or, avoid visiting the park and Sandusky and find somewhere else to complain. Your facts and opinions are again, largely ignorant. Thank goodness you don’t hold a council seat or position of power anywhere, because you keep citing the same statistics over and over as if that’s the only argument you can come up with. It’s not a dying city. Period.

Last edited by mgou58,

Facts hurt & you can't refute them. Of course your own logic is that facts are "ignorant". That's one of the dumbest things ever posted. You just don't like the facts that the town itself admitted their dependency on CP/CF. The town is dying slower with CP/CF , but it has been in decline for decades. Yes, that 32K household income tells the story w/ 80% of revenue dependency on CP/CF activities.

Show us on the doll where the mean city touched you.

Brandon

At risk of continuing to derail the conversation, if Sandusky is as dying as you repeatedly keep saying it is, what do you propose Cedar Point/Cedar Fair do? I can gather that at minimum you want corporate moved to Charlotte, but aside from that all I keep hearing are allegedly painful facts about how the median income of the area is somehow causing the paint on Magnum to fade or something like that.

I'm seriously curious what you would actually do about this 'problem' if you were, say, given the keys to the park or the chain tomorrow.

Not to speak out of turn I believe the solution is blow up the causeway/chaussee, get a bunch of tugboats and drag the newly created island to like Tampa or something.

CED23- Median income is kinda a BS stat. So if you have a sample of 10,001 households, 5,000 are below that $16/hr or $32,000 and 5,000 are above that number. But what that doesn’t tell you is how high those incomes might go. Median income doesn’t paint the whole picture.

ROUNDABOUND.

Per capita Income is $23,300

Number of 200K households is 0.7%

The avg income is $50,800,

The typical home value in Sandusky is $91,100 that's with 14% increase in the last year.

But, please keep trying to pretend Sandusky is some economic metropolis but it depends on CF/CP for 80% of operating revenue...lol. It's literally a ward of CF/CP & is undergoing a slow death for decades despite CF/CP as a benefactor.

Last edited by CED23,

Perhaps they should try a Winterfest at CP, that would surely raise the median income up.

New for 2024- Wicked Twister Plus

CED23, so at what point do you recommend I leave town because I don't want to be here once Sandusky is officially dead. I can live with a dying city that has tremendous parks and recreation that are not in any way affiliated with CP. I can live with a dying city that has fantastic places to eat in one of the most walkable downtowns I have ever seen anywhere. I can live in a dying city that has a waterfront with a top notch walking and biking path that is often so busy with both pedestrians and cyclists that each have to observe the right-of-way of the other. I can live in a dying city that has multiple museums and shopping venues all in that walkable downtown. I can live in a dying city that has a fantastic public library with more free programs than I can possibly sign up for. I can live in a dying city that has free outdoor concerts with excellent performers that draw really huge crowds. I can live in a dying city that has several different downtown block parties throughout the warm summer months for a multitude of interests - whether that be classic cars, motorcycles, art shows, and so forth. I can live in a dying city that has a superb live theater which was close to being destroyed by wind damage, but is being rebuilt rather than scrapped and :::ahem::: left for dead. I can live in a dying city that has another historic building in disrepair that is being rebuilt from the ground up to be repurposed into a new vibrant marketplace rather than left vacant to crumble into ruins. I can live in a dying city that is attempting to take advantage of its corporate connections with Cedar Fair to create a better place for its residents to live, work, and play. (And why the hell is it a bad thing for a city to try to partner with a major local corporation that has it roots in a naturally formed waterfront paradise that has been a go-to place for recreation for the past 150 years?) Please let me know when I should expect that dying city to completely flat line because I sure as hell want to get out of here before that happens.

Who or what was it tied to Sandusky that pissed in your Cheerios?

Nice soliloquy....(sarcasm)

You have low standards clearly and live in Sandusky, so you are jaded or delusional that it isn't actually a dump or moving to being a dump. It's typical of the many dying places like it in OH & midwest. It's just lucky at the time it is propped up up by CF/CP. that it is dependent on for 80% of its operating revenue. You are delusional that it's some vibrant metropolis. It's hard to admit you live in floundering city, that is wholly dependent on a theme park to exist. Even with CF/CP it's still moving towards death, just slower

Last edited by CED23,

At this point I’m just rolling on the floor laughing. Your ignorance is just that darn funny. Please move along. You’ve not convinced anyone at all, yet you continue to post. Which now means you’re no better than a troll.

Moving along…

Last edited by mgou58,

But wait.
Isn’t the entire world dying just a little?

I don't think anyone is trying to argue that Sandusky is on the level of Charlotte or Nashville or even Cleveland, but I'm reminded of the patronizing comments I get from folks (typically from California, Florida, or Charlotte) where their main argument for why I shouldn't be living in Ohio is either "it's not California" or "You're clearly too stupid to know that you're an idiot for living there".

I still haven't heard what you'd actually do to *ahem* remedy CP's proximity to this dying hole of broken Midwest dreams.

You must be logged in to post

POP Forums app ©2024, POP World Media, LLC - Terms of Service