Guest taken to hospital after metal object falls off TTD

Just beef up some driving range netting maybe?

Still haven't been able to uncross these circuits...
DJ Fischer

TTD2013 said:

On another subject regarding the incident...what do you guys think will be the modifications Cedar Point implements to Top Thrill Dragster?

My money is on shorter seatbelts…

ROUNDABOUND.

Seems to me the simpler and more appropriate solution would just be to make sure this plate can't come off again. Similar to when that cable fell on Skyhawk and a backup attachment was created and it was a pretty simple/cheap fix. Maybe a third fastener is all that is needed. Maybe these fasteners were not checked frequently enough since they were not considered structural. If you're going to cover the queue, why not the midway? If you're covering the brake run, why not the launch? Do the riders on the train then become more at risk if something comes off the train or a person riding and ricochets off said covering? Don't get me wrong, I fully expect the government and lawyers to come up with the most ridiculous "solution" possible. Just not sure it will make sense.

-Matt

I'm assuming these brackets need to be removed when assembling/disassembling trains from the track, otherwise I don't see why they wouldn't just be permanently welded to the trains. But presumably the park was pretty sure that those plates weren't coming off, and had almost 20 years of reliability to feel confident in that.

MLB had a similar situation with line drive foul balls, and now we've got nets at (I believe) all major league ball parks. Wouldn't be surprised in the least if we see some netting go up next season, as Brandon suggested.

380 MF laps
Smoking Area Drone Pilot

I do wonder if whatever gets done ends up getting phased in at other rides where walkways are immediately adjacent to the track, not just at CP but industry wide. Better to be safe i guess

Right... like Millennium's trains fly directly past the queue, over the entrance and then back again past the queue in the brake run. If Dragster gets modifications why not Millennium too?

1000 years of force said:

Or, perhaps, re-route the queue so that the area under the ride is devoid of paying customers?

With BOB moved to the island, that paved path and real estate could plausibly be used, with modifications, as a new not-under-this particular-ride queue.

The only thing to contend with there would be some hats falling off people riding Iron Dragon... (more than some, it turns out).

This got me thinking so I drew up a potential queue re-route for a visual on Google Maps.

https://ibb.co/kcBycN1

(In purple) The Fast Lane/Regular line could start to the left of the photo booth. Fast Lane could go straight in then turn right and connect into the platform via a bridge over the brake run/electrical room. The regular line continues throughout the Iron Dragon jungle then comes back to join to merge with Fast Lane onto the bridge and into the station. OR they could have the majority of the line in the Iron Dragon jungle then connect to the first set of queues currently there before the ramp via a cement tunnel going under the brake run like how the currently have under the launch track. This idea would make more logical sense having the Entrance and Exit close together... also easier access for re-rides on slower days!

For the launch track side/midway...keep the midway next to where the trains launch still for excitement and the grandstands. However, get rid of the midway after the grandstands to where the lockers currently are and make that a restricted low zone area since that's when the trains reach 50mph+ and flying objects become more likely to be dangerous. They could also back up the midway near the hydraulic room so you wouldn't be able to get as close to the launch track as you currently can and even put in netting on where the track begins ascending to vertical like they have on Valravn.

It's a lot cheaper to put up some netting than do all that earthwork and concrete.

Looks like the register is reporting on itself still trying to get info on the incident.

Oct 09, 2021 7:00 PM
"SANDUSKY — The Register’s open records case against Cedar Point’s police department has gone to mediation at the Ohio Court of Claims in Columbus."

https://sanduskyregister.com/news/347454/cp-case-going-to-mediation/

The Register needs to go take a hike.

Brian
Valravn Rides: 24| Steel Vengeance Rides: 27| Dragster Rollbacks: 1

I know we won't likely hear anything for a few more months... but watching the updates of Knotts having Xcelerator repainted (a crazy new colour scheme, by the way) really makes me miss Dragster and think about it's future. I hope they are working towards getting it to safely open again in 2022.

CP Coaster Top 10: 1. Steel Vengeance (40 rides to date) 2. Top Thrill Dragster (191 launches to date, 4 rollbacks) 3. Magnum XL 200 4. Millennium Force 5. Maverick 6. Raptor 7. GateKeeper 8. Valravn 9. Rougarou 10. Gemini

MDOmnis said:

I can see the investigation coming to a lot of different conclusions...

1) The wrong bolts were used. Although this isn't a "structural" piece of the train, it's important that it stays attached. Maybe the bolts used could not handle the constant vibration throughout the course of a season and one or both of them failed.

2.) The bolts were not replaced at a high enough cadence - again because they were thought to be less critical since they weren't structural or load bearing.

3.) The tightness/integrity of these bolts was not checked at a short enough interval.

I'm sort of envisioning the failure of one bolt for whatever reason - whether it loosened up, sheared off, whatever.

MDOmnis:

Here we go. Initially I avoided reading about this traumatic accident. I had mixed feelings because I love Cedar Point; the best memories of my entire life were spent here in Ohio each summer with my dad.

I didn’t want to read anything that would be disappointing or negatively impact my view of my amusement park home away from home, but I needed to read it to find out if they were liable in any way.

And afterwards, I found this psychic forum (or maybe intuitive, knowledgeable mechanics) and your post I’ve linked - dated prior to the release itself. So much of this is actually indicated in the report. I was very surprised and impressed with several discussions here as the report mimics many correct assumptions made in this thread.

Excellent Point 2 and 3 here, I and also to whoever noted exactly how the first bolt was able to become loose, shearing the plate off.

I haven’t finished this thread yet, so I may see this has already been stated. Ignore this if so. Does this now fall on Intamin? They allowed a deviation from the standard annual overhauling process in the 2021 season due to reduced capacity. Rules state whatever manufacturer directs, you do. They overhauled one car on each train, surpassing the 17% requirement mandated by Intamin. This included inspections of other components as well. If the full off season overhaul had occurred, this would have included the flag plates (presumably replaced with new bolts).

I am interested in where this will go. They may keep the structure around throughout the investigation and also while any court proceedings occur to not be accused of quickly demolishing it in an effort to hide something. Unfortunately, I’ve come to the conclusion it will ultimately be torn down. I will miss you, TTD! It would be great to just rebuild it there from the ground up. I’d like shiny new track pieces, cars, protection for the queue…

RN, but not “that” one. Dad’s first CP
visit: 1965 at 4, Mine: 1989 at 4, Daughter: 2016 at 4

Any updates on the poor victim??

Been visiting yearly with my now wife to celebrate our anniversary since 2010. Proposed on top of Valravn in '17 during the Sunrise Thrills Tour. Proud owner of two bricks in the Legacy Walk and have a piece of Wicked Twister

The lawsuit that the Sandusky Register filed against Cedar Point regarding the public records release has been dismissed

Weather Freak
Ride Warrior

I'm not entirely following. The lawsuit was dismissed because the court contended that the Register failed to obtain an attorney. The Register disputes this. I'm no lawyer or law expert but that seems like something that would be especially easy to demonstrate one way or the other.

Gemini 100 (6/11/01)

Dismissed without prejudice meaning they are free to file again. I think the court wanted the paper to get an attorney to talk them out of the case because its not justified. Paper said they plan to take a different approach which is what I think the court wanted to see. Shouldn't be a challenge for the paper to establish it hired an attorney. That they are taking a different approach (also likely not to be successful) is a good indication they hired an attorney. LOL

You must be logged in to post

POP Forums app ©2024, POP World Media, LLC - Terms of Service