Wicked Twister, Run it's course?

Og, thanks for the explanation. That makes a lot more sense now.

2020TpForSale said:

Just for clarification, have they actually said WT structure is coming down?

With the structure being a welders nightmare, I'd have to imagine it coming down.

Anybody here get to do the 'last ride' ?

I was watching the webcam and it appeared to occur at about 8:30pm

Last edited by Dennis Urban,

number of times to Cedar Point:50s/60s/70s/80s-3,1995-1,1996-27,1997-18,1998-13,1999-20,2000-16,2001-8,2002-7,2003-18,2004-14,2005-18,2006-28,2007-16,2008-17,2009-28,2010-26,2011-27,2012-21,2013-18,2014-24,2015-29,2016-46,2017-13,2018-14,2019-10,2020-0,2021-3 Running Total-483 72,000 miles traveled for the point.

0g said:

Regarding alphabetized ordering: at least in computers, one way of storing text is ASCII. ASCII stores all the letters on the keyboard as a number. All the uppercase letters are grouped from 65 (A) to 90 (Z), while the lower case letters are 97 (a) to 122 (z). Sorting using this method, all the rides with uppercase letters would come before lower case.

While I don't understand why this sorting method would not start at the left of the name and go to the right it appears that is what their website is doing. Look at the PEANUTS vs Peanuts.

I have never seen anything sorted like this. I can understand using a capital letter in the 3rd position to be the tie breaker versus a lower case character in the same 3rd position, but what is accomplished by giving any capitalized character in a name more priority than its 1st character?

Military Nomenclatures and government acronyms use all caps, and often spell words. When I was in the Marines we were very anal about proper capitalizations when entering data.

New for 2024- Wicked Twister Plus

I believe 1000 made a comment about them extracting the copper bus bars from the powerhouse. With the current economic issues still going on and some of the difficulties the park is experiencing financially playing catch-up I could certainly see liquidating vast quantities of pure copper as being a priority since they are closing the ride, it would follow in that case that the ride is coming down. Unless they were to overhaul the electrical system with something else? I'll be the first to admit this is a bit of circular reasoning justifying the reason that it's coming down with the reason it may be on the chopping block.

Still haven't been able to uncross these circuits...
DJ Fischer

If CF is at 'scrapping copper to get by' stage we might need to have a whole other discussion

Dennis Urban said:

Anybody here get to do the 'last ride' ?

I was watching the webcam and it appeared to occur at about 8:30pm

I was lucky enough to find a golden ticket from a manager. My wife and I drew row 12 for the last launch!

It was a fun experience, kudos to the CP team for a great time.

Last edited by Buckeye122,

No, CP is not in need of the scrap money. But, I would imagine whoever they hire to tear it down isn't getting that material "for free." The scrap value is probably figured into the quote.

Brandon

I did a very quick look at the Cedar Point ride list, and to me, it indeed looks like they used a case sensitive ASCII (or similar) computer sorting of the ride names. A few ASCII numbers are below:

P = 80. E = 69. e = 101. a = 97

When sorting the ride names, go left to right, lowest to highest. The first two numbers for a few attractions would be:

80-69 PEANUTS

80-97 Parasailing

80-101 Peanuts

From the standpoint of programming the website, it is easier to do it this way. From website ease of use, it probably would have been better to convert all the ride names to upper case before sorting. Why they did a case sensitive sorting of the names, I don’t know. All I can say is that the ride names look like they were sorted in this manner.

0g said:

I did a very quick look at the Cedar Point ride list, and to me, it indeed looks like they used a case sensitive ASCII (or similar) computer sorting of the ride names. A few ASCII numbers are below:

P = 80. E = 69. e = 101. a = 97

When sorting the ride names, go left to right, lowest to highest. The first two numbers for a few attractions would be:

80-69 PEANUTS

80-97 Parasailing

80-101 Peanuts

From the standpoint of programming the website, it is easier to do it this way. From website ease of use, it probably would have been better to convert all the ride names to upper case before sorting. Why they did a case sensitive sorting of the names, I don’t know. All I can say is that the ride names look like they were sorted in this manner.

This post looks too algebraic for me! I had to stop reading it.

Campfreak06, reborn

Didn’t keep you from quoting it though, did it? And direct from the previous post, at that.

^You're absolutely right. I violated the cardinal sin that annoys me like none other.

Campfreak06, reborn

The short version:

The ride order makes sense from a computer programming perspective, but not a human readability perspective. It was probably just a small oversight when they coded it.

So Wicked Twisted was razed to the ground overnight, and they are pouring footers for a new ride as we speak, right?

I’m either reading too much into this, or not far enough, BUT wouldn’t you think that if some big makeover was planned for WT’s footprint, they would have to close giant wheel at the same time?

Campfreak06, reborn

I guess it depends on how long it takes to dismantle and re-assemble it which probably isn't terribly long. Is it even on its own independent foundation?

As of right now from the webcams, Wicked Twister hasn't had anything done to it yet.

djDaemon said:

No, CP is not in need of the scrap money. But, I would imagine whoever they hire to tear it down isn't getting that material "for free." The scrap value is probably figured into the quote.

Are we assuming it is being scrapped? Not sold or moved? I was hoping it sees new life somewhere else.

Joe
Eat 'em up, Tigers, eat 'em up!

I would bet that parts of it will see new life at, say, Dorney, but I would be surprised if it were installed somewhere else. When the closure was announced, I figured it might find a new life at MA or wherever, but the more I think about it, it's an old-ish ride using outdated technology that costs a lot to operate. If they couldn't justify its operating costs at CP, where else could they justify it?

So my best guess is that WT's useful spare parts find their way throughout the CF chain and the structure is scrapped.

Brandon

You must be logged in to post

POP Forums app ©2024, POP World Media, LLC - Terms of Service