Wicked Twister, Run it's course?

I remember sitting on the beach late at night one time that year and seeing that. It was a stopgap until the off-season when they added the additional yellow supports.

2020TpForSale said:

I've just never been a fan of the ride ever since I worked there in 2002. At night, after the park closed, I remember them welding up both of the towers. Not a good sight to see.....

Better than if they didn't do it

I could totally understand how it may be alarming to some to see the sparks of the welding activity and have serious concerns about a spire snapping off or something. However, as Scott Cameron and Cartwright mentioned, it held things together sufficiently until the additional supports were installed. If there was any inkling whatsoever that an accident or breakage was imminent do you think the Black Shirt Higher-ups or Ohio Inspectors or insurance underwriters would have approved keeping it open during those times?

Campfreak06, I'd imagine you really saw those things sway during your days.

Yeah I remember riding it that year and watching it sway. People in line would see that and get alarmed. Some would leave even.

Always loved WT!

Joe
Eat 'em up, Tigers, eat 'em up!

jimmyburke said:

If there was any inkling whatsoever that an accident or breakage was imminent do you think the Black Shirt Higher-ups or Ohio Inspectors or insurance underwriters would have approved keeping it open during those times?

I'm really aging myself here, but back in my day, we used to call them Silver Tags!

Campfreak06, reborn

Scott Cameron said:

Yeah I remember riding it that year and watching it sway. People in line would see that and get alarmed. Some would leave even.

I remember how much the Superman impulse swayed the first year of Six Flags Ohio. I know it got significant support additions in the first offseason.

^I mean aren't coasters meant to sway to some degree? I think that's supposed to relieve stress on the supports or something. Someone explain/correct me if I'm wrong.

Steel Vengeance rides: 210

I'd rather be sailing

Marina operations attendant 2021-2023

They are and they do. But I vividly remember the Six Flags Ohio impulse swaying enough in its opening season for me to go "that looks a little unsettling". And in 2001 it had gotten additional supports.

I’m pretty positive Superman never received additional supports until the Cedar Fair era.

Wicked twister and Skyhawk are two of my favorite rides at Cedar point. Just the sheer up and down is my idea of fun as opposed to all the twisting and looping with that being said of course Stevie is the ISH. Looks like everybody is so critical no one stops to have fun on the coasters anymore. Yea its post to Shake rattle and roll a little bit that is why it’s a thrill ride!

Last edited by WZNM,

Wznm

2020TpForSale said:

Forward 215 feet, backwards 215 feet. Pretty darn repetitive. Now in it's 20th season, has Wicked Twister run it's course as a beginner coaster?

I've seen it run its course many times over and over. ;)

First ride; Magnum 1994

When did we start calling Wicked Twister a beginner coaster?

Promoter of fog.

I love the ride. It's so unique and intense. I hope they don't get rid of it completely but rather just find a new spot for it!!!

Kevinj said:

Right? Backwards acceleration gets me every time, and I've been on that ride (and its former cousin at Geauga Lake) a hundred times.

Jeff - Advocate of Great Great Tunnels™ - Co-Publisher - PointBuzz - CoasterBuzz - Blog - Music

It also has a 52" height requirement which to me takes it out of the beginner coaster camp.

Not to mention the 72 miles per hour and 200ish feet in height.

I mean, maybe it's a beginner coaster for folks born...in their 40's.

Promoter of fog.

Kevinj said:

Since someone spilled hot cheese on Gatekeeper’s lift hill.

Lol i remember its opening season. It was crazy watching those the spikes sway. Me and my buddy clocked 17 consecutive rides on it because no one stayed in line to ride it so it was essentially a walk on. Im going down the 31st to hopefully get some more rides on it. Im really gonna miss it though. I do hope it gets moved (MiAdv please!)

Last edited by JoshBrown,

Ride On!

08- Arcade Mechanic

CPisgreat205 said:

Near the back of the train, right side when facing forward is an incredible view on the two reverse spikes, essentially looking down/dangling facing straight down with nothing beneath you. It’s been a couple years since I was on WT but I’m pretty sure this aligns with the seat Scott mentioned. Love this coaster and agree with the comments about the launches/space concerns as well. Looking forward to riding soon!

Thats the best seat there is. Ill take that over the front any time. I never get sick of that second trip up the back spike.

Ride On!

08- Arcade Mechanic

You must be logged in to post

POP Forums app ©2024, POP World Media, LLC - Terms of Service