Wicked Twister, Run it's course?

Forward 215 feet, backwards 215 feet. Pretty darn repetitive. Now in it's 20th season, has Wicked Twister run it's course as a beginner coaster? Could that space be better utilized?

Campfreak06, reborn

Bring back the Space Spiral!!!

^Sarah, I have to agree with you on that one! I miss it! I used to have the spiel memorized, but I don't anymore!

Campfreak06, reborn

And 20 years later Cedar Point is still running out of space and people are anxious to tear things down.

Jeff - Advocate of Great Great Tunnels™ - Co-Publisher - PointBuzz - CoasterBuzz - Blog - Music

^Jeff, I'm not advocating for WT to be torn down to open up space due to CP running out of room. Having given my argument, which I will elaborate on, I did question as to what other type of attraction might be suited for that prime real estate.

I thought I was a bit clear in my post that I thought it had run it's course. Other coasters at least take you out a distance or give you a nice view of the lake or the park. But at 72 mph, WT literally takes you backward and forward in spirals and then the ride is over.

Campfreak06, reborn

I have absolutely no love for the ride but some people, my kids included, do like it. I think the design has probably run its course as far as I wouldn't expect new ones to be built but I don't see much point in it going anywhere either and it really doesn't take up much space or block the view too badly.

Paisley said:

I have absolutely no love for the ride but some people, my kids included, do like it. I think the design has probably run its course as far as I wouldn't expect new ones to be built but I don't see much point in it going anywhere either and it really doesn't take up much space or block the view too badly.

https://rcdb.com/16426.htm

A new, even taller version opened this year in China. Not saying it's gonna make a comeback as a model but they're still in Intamin's catalog. Even built with Intamin's newer track design.

That said, I personally would not care if it is removed or not. I much prefer the models with the straight spike and holding brake (when it is used).

Well TP, they might be able to fit 3 Larson Loopers in that space, you know, for 3 train operations 🤣

If it were up to enthusiast tastes, the park would have no kids rides, or shows. I don't know why one person's tastes would dictate the ride mix. I love Wicked Twister. It's probably my favorite application of LIM/LSM tech because two-thirds of the ride is spent launching.

Jeff - Advocate of Great Great Tunnels™ - Co-Publisher - PointBuzz - CoasterBuzz - Blog - Music

Yeah I'm a huge fan of Wicked Twister myself. In fact, I rode it this past Sunday for the first time in a long time and asked myself why I don't ride it more often. I happened to have good timing so I could pick any seat and the ride-op thought it was odd I chose 15-2 over the front. The people behind me were happy though.

I tried riding it this year, but I ended up doing the walk of shame.

Brian
Valravn Rides: 24| Steel Vengeance Rides: 27| Dragster Rollbacks: 1

Why remove it when it doesn't take up much room and adds to the coaster lineup

Been visiting yearly with my now wife to celebrate our anniversary since 2010. Proposed on top of Valravn in '17 during the Sunrise Thrills Tour. Proud owner of two bricks in the Legacy Walk and have a piece of Wicked Twister

I mean hey, Space Spiral didn't take up much room either.

Near the back of the train, right side when facing forward is an incredible view on the two reverse spikes, essentially looking down/dangling facing straight down with nothing beneath you. It’s been a couple years since I was on WT but I’m pretty sure this aligns with the seat Scott mentioned. Love this coaster and agree with the comments about the launches/space concerns as well. Looking forward to riding soon!

That is correct. 15-2 offers the highest, unobstructed straight-down view. Best seat on the ride!

Thabto said:

I tried riding it this year, but I ended up doing the walk of shame.

Don't feel bad, I did too.

Jake Padden
13-Tiques/Wave Swinger
12-Camp Snoopy; Tiques/Wave Swinger
11-CP & LE Railroad Platform; Cedar Creek Mine Ride; Tiques/Wave Swinger

One thing Wicked Twister has going for it is that it is probably the roller coaster least impacted by weather. I don't think it shuts down in high winds. So on those few really bad weather days, it still provides a decent thrill.

I remember at least two closing days where Wicked Twister, Corkscrew, and $5 tshirts at Pagoda were the only stars of the day

Wicked Twister doesn't take up very little space on the midway.

Wicked Twister takes up NO space on the midway.

Before that ride was built, the entire footprint of the ride was on the beach, outside the park fence. ALL of it is literally reclaimed space.

It's not my favorite application of LIM technology because while it demonstrates many of the things you can do with LIMs, it leaves one out: applying full power at zero speed, as the non-twist ones...er...are supposed to do. But it's close. It's also interesting in that it has both single-sided and double-sided LIMs, and the single-sided LIMs use a different kind of fin from the double-sided ones because those fins are also used for braking. There's just a whole lot of neat detail on that ride.

--Dave Althoff, Jr.

/X\ *** Respect rides. They do not respect you. ***
/XXX\ /X\ /X\_ _ /X\__ _ _____
/XXXXX\ /XXX\ /XXXX\_ /X\ /XXXXX\ /X\ /XXXXX
_/XXXXXXX\_/XXXXX\_/XXXXXXX\_/XXX\_/XXXXXXX\__/XXX\__/XXXXXX

I've just never been a fan of the ride ever since I worked there in 2002. At night, after the park closed, I remember them welding up both of the towers. Not a good sight to see.....

Campfreak06, reborn

You must be logged in to post

POP Forums app ©2024, POP World Media, LLC - Terms of Service