Beware: Early Ride Closings No Joke!

Limiting capacity isn't neccessarily a $$ killer, either. Peeps in the park can't be spending any money if they are standing in line waiting to spend money (or ride something).

It would be interesting to see the in-park spending for days that are "moderate" vs days that are "insane".

Promoter of fog.

mgou58 said:

I’m glad for those who had a better experience but it doesn’t mean much when the park has drastically reduced capacity thus making things appear better. If they weren’t limiting capacity they’d be in the same boat as last weekend.

I'd argue that it means a lot. It means they recognize the subpar experience they were offering a week ago and made adjustments so that it would not happen again.

The only day left available in May is the 31st.

I understand the need to run a shortened schedule, but it just feels wrong to leave at 8:00. I still don't understand why they have to open at 10AM. Instead of 10-8, why not 12-10? Maybe that could even drive resort stays and evening meals?

--Dave Althoff, Jr.

/X\ *** Respect rides. They do not respect you. ***
/XXX\ /X\ /X\_ _ /X\__ _ _____
/XXXXX\ /XXX\ /XXXX\_ /X\ /XXXXX\ /X\ /XXXXX
_/XXXXXXX\_/XXXXX\_/XXXXXXX\_/XXX\_/XXXXXXX\__/XXX\__/XXXXXX

Because for everyone that feels their day is just getting started after dinner, there is likely a similarly sized group of park goers that want to be home before dark that still want the full day. At least it's not like when Busch Gardens Tampa does 10-5 or 10-6 or the Universal Orlando 9-5 days. 8:00 isn't so bad compared to Florida parks in the slow season

RideMan said:

Instead of 10-8, why not 12-10?

I would imagine part of the calculus may be because most parents of young-ish kids prefer this schedule. And it makes more financial sense to cater to that group rather than the niche enthusiast group.

Brandon

Well, I have to give the park kudos. I (thankfully) wasn't there for opening weekend so I can't make a comparison reference but I was there this past Saturday and we had a great time. I don't know if they significantly reduced capacity, had more staff, or a combination thereof but the park definitely did not feel overcrowded, most food stands were open, and lines were definitely manageable. Overall a beautiful day for weather and a wonderful day at the park. Felt good to be back.

I wasn't there this weekend, but from what I could tell from the reports of others and the webcams, it looked like a combination of both. Windseeker, Skyride, and Rougarou were all open this weekend and also it looked like Mac Shack, Happy Friar, and Stockade (possibly more) were all open for food as well. The parking lot looked to be maybe 2/3rds of the way full at most when it was close to full last weekend.

-Matt

1000 years of force said:

RCMAC said:

<snip> because under no circumstances would overtime (time past 8p) be paid.
<snip>

I literally laughed so hard I am having to clean the Fruity Pebbles out of the keyboard...

Dude, there is NO overtime for seasonal associates.

None. Zilch. Zero. They are hired under "seasonal, migrant worker rules" so they don't have to pay OT or benefits or anything other than straight time.

Seven Twenty-hour O.C.s in a row? Straight time.

Unless they are in a union position (and they are on multiple shifts, so OT is unlikely).

I am still giggling. Awesome.

Not exactly.

Non-union, on-point positions do not qualify for overtime. However, off-point seasonal, part-time and hourly full-time DO qualify and are paid 1.5x base rate for hours worked over 40 hours (aka overtime). The key being positions not based on-point.

I think it stinks! So used to love waiting till that last minute to jump in line and get that last ride of the night! Oh well at least we are back to some normalcy and riding full rides!

^^

Define "off-point".

Promoter of fog.

Kevinj said:

Peeps in the park can't be spending any money if they are standing in line waiting to spend money (or ride something).

Don't they still have the $4 bottle of pop/water vending machines in the queues?

Campfreak06, reborn

Hydrate in a 3 hour queue at your own peril.

^I've got that covered.

Campfreak06, reborn

Can't wait until staffing levels improve and the state restrictions lift the reservation system is killing me...part of the extended family made reservations for CP and the water park on the 30th, other half of the family could only get the water park. Looks like Sunday is going to suck for swimming now. More reservations opened for the park and the rest of us were able to get them but now Friday (my son's graduation) looks like a weather train wreck so I don't know if they are going to ditch and use the rain date one of which is Sunday...when we have the reservations...so aside from worrying about whether or not I'll need to cancel them and how to cancel so I don't take spots away from others IF graduation gets postponed not sure do I cancel the water park reservations or wait and see if the weather sucks bad enough they end up closing the water park anyway or just ride it out in case the weather improves and I we don't get graduation postponed. Life will be so much less complicated when we can just show up or not show up.

Kevinj said:

^^

Define "off-point".

Castaway Bay, the sports complex, Sawmill Creek. Locations that for the most part are going to be open year-round or close to it that are not dependent on the season to be open.

Funny, I hadn't even thought of Sawmill or the Sports Complex. Or Castaway Bay.

This is what a pandemic does to your brain.

Promoter of fog.

KI is cutting hours back to 8PM closes several hours ago as well. That means no Beast night rides.

They sent an email to passholders and that is it. As of a few minutes ago there have been no social media posts about it. The KI app still has the 10PM closes. Right before a major holiday weekend. SMH.

In fairness, Kings Island's decision to cut back the hours (again, on the wrong end of the day...) might not have been entirely motivated by staffing considerations...

18 police calls in four operating days is a pretty lousy average.

--Dave Althoff, Jr.

/X\ *** Respect rides. They do not respect you. ***
/XXX\ /X\ /X\_ _ /X\__ _ _____
/XXXXX\ /XXX\ /XXXX\_ /X\ /XXXXX\ /X\ /XXXXX
_/XXXXXXX\_/XXXXX\_/XXXXXXX\_/XXX\_/XXXXXXX\__/XXX\__/XXXXXX

Kevinj said:

Funny, I hadn't even thought of Sawmill or the Sports Complex. Or Castaway Bay.

This is what a pandemic does to your brain.

As well as Housing, Express, Dairy Queen and QSL...all are paid overtime.

You must be logged in to post

POP Forums app ©2024, POP World Media, LLC - Terms of Service