Cedar Point to begin 2020 season with phased opening

Now if we could just get IT (I'd voulnteer even though I'd probably have to learn on the fly, but I don't think it works that way) to build it into the app or passes or wristbands we'd be all set!

Looking at the complicated instructions for gaining admittance to CP this season, all I can say is I hope the staff is prepared for a lot of flak. Most people aren't technically savvy or even aware of technology and don't know that before you show up at the gate you have to make a reservation, download a special 'health screening' app, do a health screening and pass it, and have everything on your smart phone ready when you come through the gate.

I expect the staff will be hearing a lot of "What do you mean I can't get in? I have a season pass! I want to speak to your manager!" from angry would-be parkgoers who arrive with their families as soon as they hear the park is open. I hope they have something set up at the entrance to the causeway and chausee so people know the limitations before they get to the entrance.

Per the FAQ the tollbooths will confirm your reservations. So I assume that will be the break point. Anyone who doesn't have a reservation will get turned away at the tollbooths long before the get to the gate.

They've been sending out so many emails, tweets, and website park updates I would think anyone who knew the park didn't open on opening day (even if they showed up to find out it was closed) have checked the website enough to get an idea of whats going on.

SarahB1863 said:

Most people aren't technically savvy or even aware of technology...

Most people aren't aware of tech? I may have agreed with this 10 years ago, but not today. Especially after having everything locked down, boarded up, not to mention every parent with a kid in public school being forced to do a crash course in online learning.

Point being, I don't think people are just rolling out of bed and deciding to go anywhere on a whim right now, much less Cedar Point. To know when they're open you would have to go to the website, and once you're there it's pretty much in your face of what you need to do.

It's also not complicated. There is only one step a guest needs to accomplish: 1) Make a reservation. Different? Very. Complicated...Eh. Once you get in all the other steps will take care of themselves and yep; this is exactly why your reservation will be checked at the tollbooths.

I would prefer a cocky troll on the causeway, but they never listen to my ideas.

STOP!

"You think you're ready to visit CP?

first you must answer my questions, three!"

"Oh, and the app. You need the app. Just....let me see your phone."

Last edited by Kevinj,

Promoter of fog.

Entering Kings Island today was pretty simple. I was able to self-scan at parking booths. The temperature check was quick; they just pointed at a sign with the three health screening and asked if I would answer "yes" to any of the questions before taking my temperature with a handheld reader. Doing the health questionnaire in advance on the app didn't seem to make a difference. I went through security and scanned my season pass at the gate. I wasn't asked about my reservation at any point.

Cedar Point might be different since it doesn't appear to have the self-scan machines at the parking tolls yet so you might get asked about your reservations there.

"Thank the Phoenicians!"

I was looking and didn't see any self scan equipment installed. Wondering if that's still delayed per the announcement at WCO about them being delayed due to manufacture shutdowns?

TimChat2 said:

...or Millennium Force's short-lived Ticket to Ride.

Yes, I think Orion's ticket system is much more like this than the old Freeway system. Although, I must admit I don't know much about Ticket to Ride or why it didn't work so well. Ticket to Ride was gone before I visited the park for the first time in 2000.

It will be interesting to see how this goes once the general public is able to go to Kings Island in another week or so. My understanding is that once the queue is full, your only choice is to take a ticket and come back later. If there are no tickets left, then you are pretty much out of luck. There does not appear to be a "standby" line option.

-- Chuck Wagon --
aka Pagoda Gift Shop

At the time I remember the bigger complaints about Ticket to Ride was that it was the ONLY way you could ride Millennium Force since there was not a standby option. With most of the tickets being distributed early in the day any guests arriving later than lunchtime would potentially be out of luck with no shot at riding the super-hyped (and fairly temperamental that first season) new coaster.

Last edited by TimChat2,

"Thank the Phoenicians!"

Correct. Freeway was essentially a free first-come-first-serve Fastlane. At least you could still get in line.

I don't think I ever experienced Ticket to Ride.

Promoter of fog.

Well here's your chance! It's a classic.

-Adam G- The OG Dragster nut

My experience with KI on 05JUL.

• Got to the park late, time slot was for 12:30 I arrived at 3pm. No issues.
  • Scanned my pass at the toll booth. No issues.
  • I could not actually find the health screening on the app, so I did not do it. No issues.
  • Answered the 3 questions at the tent and got my temp taken. No issues.
  • Went through security as normal. No Issues.
  • Scanned my pass at the ticket counter, they did not even look at my phone for the reservation, so I'm assuming it's all attached. No issues.
  • Rode Orion with a mask on. No issues.

Overall, it was a pretty smooth sequence of events. Maybe everything was ironed out by the third day. As long as you do not arrive early for your time slot you should be okay.

Per Tony on Twitter, Magnum gate is for resort guests only while main gate is for all other guests. Windseeker and Valravn gates will be closed for the season.

Would this mean that day guests won't be able to access the resorts at all even if they went through the screening at the Main gate?

"Thank the Phoenicians!"

I'm guessing that's the goal, per Tony the beach will be available with a park reservation though so maybe just can't go through the park?

You can access the beach via the boardwalk at the main parking lot.

Steve Shives
First Cedar Point Visit - 1972
Dockholder-Cedar Point Marina

Anybody catch those single ticket prices for this season? $47 is a steal!

Just saw that a few minutes ago. That looks pretty good. Although aren't they online single day tickets normally right around that price anyway or is my memory shot?

Still haven't been able to uncross these circuits...
DJ Fischer

DRE420 said:

Anybody catch those single ticket prices for this season? $47 is a steal!

Yeah but when you'll likely be getting less than 50% of the regular experience, is it?

I've still always thought they should offer a discounted ticket (in a regular season) from Opening Day until Memorial Day weekend when things are still getting going and the place isn't quite at 100% yet.

Didn't they do that last year?

And then people complained about flooding the park with "ne'er do wells" and bemoaning their beloved empty days at the park in the early season.

My memory does play tricks on me, but I could've sworn there was an early-season deal last year.

At any rate, the single-day tickets are going like hot-cakes. The dates of our planned trip (12 - 16) are selling out.

Last edited by Kevinj,

Promoter of fog.

I'm not sure if this has been posted here, so apologies if it was discussed. But I saw this on Twitter. Looks like they're going back to the "no loose articles at all" policy on Steel Vengeance this year...

https://www.cedarpoint.com/play/rides/steel-vengeance

380 MF laps
Smoking Area Drone Pilot

You must be logged in to post

POP Forums app ©2024, POP World Media, LLC - Terms of Service