Cedar Point to begin 2020 season with phased opening

I prefer my food to live on land. Seafood 🤢

Since I'm currently sober, I can assure you that the perch at Thirsty Pony is quite good. We pick some up on every trip at some point.

My favorite perch was always at the second Margaritaville, which has been gone for seasons now.

I'm not a Sandusky local, so I'm sure anyone who is knows of some hidden gems for great perch/walleye.

Or bluegill.

As far as resort guests, I would guess that the resort gate will have a scaled-down version of what will be at the main entrance. Or, perhaps Breakers will have it's own tent, with Lighthouse Point also having their own leading to the actual entrance to ease congestion.

Last edited by Kevinj,

Promoter of fog.

Thirsty Pony has gone way downhill. As a local, this place is no longer worth going to for perch. Last two times we ordered the fish smelled musty. Idk how that happens, but twice in a row within a couple weeks isn't a good sign. Margaritaville, on the other hand, is way better with their new menu, and the food was delicious.

Not a local, but I had a Perch sandwich at The Thirsty Pomy the night before WCO, and it was quite good. We prefer the Perch and Walleye at The Jolly Roger in Port Clinton, though.

Those walleye tacos over at Dockside Cafe were pretty legit last year.

So I just had a horrifying thought as a coaster nut. What if social distancing also means we don't get to pick our rows this year?

Just be happy you can ride the coaster at all.

Brian
Valravn Rides: 24| Steel Vengeance Rides: 27| Dragster Rollbacks: 1

This is very true. That was just one of those weird spur of the moment thoughts that just doesn't seem like a Cedar Point thing but it would totally make sense in the current environment.

Honestly it would feel weirder that they are assigning rows from a logistical standpoint than that fact that I can't choose my own row if that makes any sense.

I can remember a time when you couldn't pick your seat on certain coasters.

This is also very true. I'm used to the newer and high demand coasters not really letting you pick your seat. Times do change I guess. It will be interesting to see opening day.

I would imagine seats will be assigned. And I think that's fine. Just another one of the hundreds of things that won't be "normal".

Point being, you can't have people crammed into the station waiting for a first seat, or any seat.

I mean you could, but with distancing in mind it makes it much more efficient and safer to just assign seats and keep the station as empty as possible.

It will be an interesting sight seeing queue lines more or less filled, with people spaced out and stations clear. My daughter once asked why Mine Ride had such a huge queue that never gets filled.

I never thought to say..."well, sweetie...just in case there is a global pandemic..."

Last edited by Kevinj,

Promoter of fog.

I expect assignments for most coasters this year. No biggie since everything is modified right now. I've always been very happy with the interaction at CP when requesting a seat. If you ask clearly, nicely and respectfully, I've been granted the seat I've asked for nearly every time. Once and a while Valravn or Raptor row 1 is full, then I just go to the back row anyway.

CP Coaster Top 10: 1. Steel Vengeance (40 rides to date) 2. Top Thrill Dragster (191 launches to date, 4 rollbacks) 3. Magnum XL 200 4. Millennium Force 5. Maverick 6. Raptor 7. GateKeeper 8. Valravn 9. Rougarou 10. Gemini

It's amazing how far being a normal, polite guest can get you. :)

I've worked with the public in some capacity my entire life, and I think most people underestimate how rare it can be (some days) to encounter someone who is just...well...nice.

Promoter of fog.

^^ from the other end, it was always nice having guests politely make a seat request instead of being demanding. I don't know how things will be going this season, but something tells me requests won't be possible.

2015 - Ride Host: Shoot the Rapids 2016 - Team Leader: Ripcord/Challenge Golf 2017 - Supervisor: Thunder Canyon 2018 - Supervisor: Camp Snoopy 2019 - Supervisor: Power Tower

FYI: spoke with rep today & she informed me that as of yesterday, you can make a reservation for 2 dates.

Peace ☮️

Looking at the webcams today and it made me think that Skyride is probably not opening either. Absolutely no way to sanitize those cabins unless you just full stop the ride every hour. And social distancing would be difficult there as well.

I stopped at World's of Fun yesterday on my way home from my adventure out west. I realize it's a different park in a different state, but since they it is a CF park I'd imagine there are some similarities.

• Did the health screen on the app when I woke up. It was 3 questions. The typical do you feel sick and have you been exposed to Covid-19 stuff.
  • The park was DEAD. I knew it would be. It looked like they were taking 450 reservations per half hour segments. 11am was full but I got an 11:30 slot and there were still 400 left.
  • Getting into the park was simple. They had associates basically meet you in the parking lot, made sure you were signed in to the app, and had a mask. Then they directed you to the temp check.
  • The temp check was also simple. You went into a long tent that was filled with fans, stood on a certain spot and in a second I got the thumbs up.
  • Coasters were being sat every other row. No water rides were open.
  • It was very hot and humid. After spending several days in the desert it was jarring to be sweating so heavily. The rest areas were you can take off your mask and chill was much appreciated.
  • Every hour they would sanitize the trains. They used the sort of sprayer you would use to fertilize your lawn, wiped it down, and cycled it empty. It was a slow process.
  • Dispatch times were SLOW. This is not a complaint, I know the workers are dealing with a lot right now, and I've never been to WoF before so I have nothing to compare to. I hope CP is faster but even on a day where it is slow I wouldn't expect epic marathons of rides. It is what it is.

I hope some of this info helps people on what to expect.

-Craig
Lifetime Laps on Woodstock Express: 0

Interesting update at Kings Island; access cards (in one hour time blocks) are now being handed out to get in line for Orion to reduce the congestion. They were gone by about 1:30.

I wonder if Cedar Point will consider this for the busier rides on busier days as well.

Good ol' Freeway.

Last edited by Kevinj,

Promoter of fog.

...or Millennium Force's short-lived Ticket to Ride.

"Thank the Phoenicians!"

It's reasonable to assume Cedar Point could do this. Within the actual queue itself, it appears that social distancing was working just fine (for the most part). But the spaced stickers to help promote distancing also meant that the line is so spread out that it didn't take long for it to overflow, and it was that overflow where people were starting to mass-congregate and not have the intuition to not coagulate.

Last edited by Kevinj,

Promoter of fog.

You must be logged in to post

POP Forums app ©2024, POP World Media, LLC - Terms of Service