CP Reopening- Gov DeWine comments

Ralph Wiggum said:

Strictly guessing here, but the busiest days at a place like the Toledo Zoo is probably 5,000 or less.

Googling a few things, the Cleveland Zoo peaks around ~15k on a super busy day over 183 acres. A super busy day at Cedar Point is about 45k over 364 acres.

Last edited by Lowkae,

Capacity limitations mean nothing at a zoo where people are literally touching everything within split seconds of each other. Example: aquarium glass.

DeWine has placed himself and his administration in a very bad spot here. And up until recently I had agreed with the actions he had taken to slow the spread. But now, with the sudden jump to open everything up (no doubt he buckled under pressure from Trump), you can’t suddenly decide to exclude two of your biggest contributors to the tourism industry that much of Ohio depends so much on.

Sollybeast, according to Wikipedia Zoombezi Bay ranks 15th in North America for waterpark attendance. You kind of need their ZoomPass if you want to actually get on slides.

Don't compare daily attendance to acreage size because that amount of land is nowhere close to what is actually occupied by guests. Columbus Zoo might be 600 acres and Cedar Point at 364 but Cedar Point still dominates in walkable space.

Any space is walkable space if you're brave and/or stupid enough

Proud 5th Liner and CP fan since 1986.

Wikipedia says Columbus Zoo proper takes up 165 acres. I think if you take account for the (socially distanced) queues, CP would easily have two times or more walkable space. And probably a much lower proportion of indoor space (good thing we don't have a dark ride!).

Last edited by Lowkae,

Kind of funny how DeWine has gone from God to Mammon so quickly.

mgou58 said:

Capacity limitations mean nothing at a zoo where people are literally touching everything within split seconds of each other. Example: aquarium glass.

They can easily set up temporary barriers to minimize touching of things like aquarium glass.

Now the rails in the queues is a different problem.

-Craig
Lifetime Laps on Woodstock Express: 0

Lowkae said:

Wikipedia says Columbus Zoo proper takes up 165 acres.

That sounds about right for the zoo, water park, and parking lot. Looking at the plat maps for the zoo I came up with about 560 acres owned, which includes giant plot of unused land and the golf course. So that is where someone above was getting the 600 acres. But as I have already said, the actual space occupied by guests isn't anything close to what parks promote their park size to be. As far as space goes nothing else in Ohio, maybe even the rest of the US, is going to beat Cedar Point.

Nothing to do with CP, but went to the dentist this week for routine 6 month cleaning. Normal things like you would expect:

• Wait in parking lot until they are ready for you
  • Wear mask into office until you are in your chair for cleaning
  • Typical Covid questions about exposure, take your temp, etc.

At the end, couldn't do the normal polishing due to the particles that are emitted into the air as part of the polishing process. They provided me the polish to do at home if I wanted. Made perfect sense as to why, but would have never thought of something like that prior to the appointment.

Some of you are probably like "Cool story, bro - what the heck does that have to do with what we are discussing?" I think it will be interesting as more and more things open back up to note the little things that have changed that we didn't see coming or wouldn't have thought of.

^I think we are going to see a lot of stuff like that and be pretty surprised by it as we encounter those things. Every job has those parts to it that you would never think about simply because it isn't your job but it is something that is always on the mind of those doing it.

Yep thats the one I goto, Lancaster has a good one too

The news about lawsuits being filed on Thursday, the same day as the "suspected" announcement to re-open, seems unlikely to be coincidental. Cedar Fair appears to be tired of waiting. If I had to guess, they were probably hoping for an announcement of some kind in May, and here we are in June and they still are being left out.

-- Chuck Wagon --
aka Pagoda Gift Shop

I'm kind of dumbfounded. Indoor FECs and trampoline parks are both on my "Eh...probably not yet" list and my COVID-19 risk tolerance is pretty high. I'd feel safer at Cedar Point operating at full capacity than I would spending a few hours in an indoor FEC. Open air, sunlight, and reduced touch points are all in the amusement park's favor. Most FECs rely heavily on arcade games, which I would prefer not to touch for a while.

--Dave Althoff, Jr.

/X\ *** Respect rides. They do not respect you. ***
/XXX\ /X\ /X\_ _ /X\__ _ _____
/XXXXX\ /XXX\ /XXXX\_ /X\ /XXXXX\ /X\ /XXXXX
_/XXXXXXX\_/XXXXX\_/XXXXXXX\_/XXX\_/XXXXXXX\__/XXX\__/XXXXXX

Lowkae said:

DRE420 said:

Yeah, I'm not going to go to Ohio to see a movie.

When hair salons and restaurants reopened in Ohio there were stories about Michiganders flocking to Toledo. Could happen again with movie theaters.

I live in the Toledo metro area and I can say that is mostly false. A few, yes but Toledo was not flooded with people crossing the border.

Steve Shives
First Cedar Point Visit - 1972
Dockholder-Cedar Point Marina

As expected, Cedar Point has also filed a lawsuit.

https://fox8.com/news/cedar-point-kalahari-resorts-kings-island-fil...amy-acton/

Item 49 looks interesting. It looks as if Cedar Fair and/or Kalahari intend on opening before July 1st and are concerned about the legal ramifications.

Edit: it appears that Kalahari will open June 12th.

https://www.kalahariresorts.com/covid-19-update/

Last edited by DRE420,

Thabto said: I did see Home Alone 2 in the theater back when it was new but had to leave early because I threw up at the theater.

The smell from all that fish/freedom riding in the seafood truck with Harry and Marv will do that to you.

This will likely be expedited and make it through the court system in about two weeks with a decision. The courts will likely find an equal protection under the law applies and if the health department continues to try to overreach it will open the department and the state to monetary damages, which are easily provable by the plaintiffs.

This is over.

New for 2024- Wicked Twister Plus

I don't think it will even take two weeks. My guess is that they will settle this out of court within the next week.

Walt Schmidt - Co-Publisher, PointBuzz
PointBuzz on Twitter | Facebook | YouTube
Home to the Biggest Fans of the World's Best Amusement Park

While I am not planning on attending the park this season, I’m happy to see them fighting to reopen. However, I don’t share the opinion that just because a suit was filed that this is “over”. I suspect a week or two of back and forth and then an opening in July. The park isn’t opening right away even if they win next week. There’s still more prep to be done obviously.

Giant Wheel cabins still have to be installed

Brian
Valravn Rides: 24| Steel Vengeance Rides: 27| Dragster Rollbacks: 1

You must be logged in to post

POP Forums app ©2024, POP World Media, LLC - Terms of Service