CP Reopening- Gov DeWine comments

I will admit, the Toledo Zoo is more appealing than the Detroit Zoo.

Maybe, but it's not like it's going to draw nearly as many people as Cedar Point would.

It's so crazy that theaters and indoor FECs are okay to open, but not the park. There has to be a rationale.

Brandon

Yeah, I'm not going to the Detroit Zoo, let alone the Toledo Zoo. Losing Toledo for the Upper Peninsula is the best thing that ever happened to us! And I'm not a football fan so the Ohio State thing is a moot point for me. 🤣

Joe
Eat 'em up, Tigers, eat 'em up!

I'm pretty sure if Disney could work out an "out of towners" policy, Cedar Point could do the same.

Again, it's not the fact that amusement parks weren't on the list. It's their exclusion along with everything else on the list.

At least we now understand HB 665. They knew they were getting screwed today, and now are applying some political pressure.

While I look forward to hearing the logic, I wouldn't expect anything more than..."well....we just didn't feel that at this time....".

Then again, I'm also surprised at the June 10th date. Even if Cedar Point was on this list today, I can't imagine it would be ready to go for at least another couple weeks.

Last edited by Kevinj,

Promoter of fog.

Yup, that will be exactly what they will say to defend leaving them off the list, plus add in the whole "we wanna go as bad as anybody" shtick. I wonder if CP will follow suit and file as well. I was surprised by the June 10th date as well, and I know CP is still at least a month away from being ready, but they would have had the green light to start bringing in staff.

Oh, forget the Toledo Zoo. Columbus Zoo is where it's at, y'all B)

Proud 5th Liner and CP fan since 1986.

Yea, and I've tired of the "as bad an anyone" statements. I've already planned on not going at all; so my posts are certainly not "BUT I WANNA RIDE ROLLER COASTERS!"...at all.

To me, it's like walking down a sidewalk and saying...."OK, well this restaurant can open, but this one can't".

I'm not going anywhere near a movie theater until I have a vaccine in my bloodstream.

Last edited by Kevinj,

Promoter of fog.

DRE420 said:

It appears that Cedar Fair / Kings Island has filed a lawsuit against The Warren County health department and Dr. Acton.

https://www.fox19.com/2020/06/04/kings-island-sues-reopen/

Edit: Kalahari has also filed a lawsuit against Dr. Acton and the Erie Co. Health department.

Do you have a source on the Kalahari lawsuit? I can’t find anything on google

CP Top 5: 1) Steel Vengeance 2) Maverick 3) Magnum 4) Raptor 5) Millennium

djDaemon said:

Is it possible they're worried about exposure via out of state tourism? Metro Detroit has been hit pretty hard, though our metrics are greatly improved statewide.

I'd expect KI to get the go-ahead, but not CP if that were the reasoning. Either that or have CP announce a "no Michiganders" policy for an extra month. That would be interesting. It makes sense that KI filed the lawsuit; parks in Indiana and Kentucky have all announced opening dates.

^^ same article, just further down.

^^So now CP is policing home states? Seems unlikely. I mean, I'm with Kevin, you won't see me there anyway. Our spare time will be spent on a lake or river, in the woods, or in the campgrounds. Our 4 month old addition to our family was probably gonna slow down our amusement park adventures this year anyway.

Last edited by vwhoward,

Joe
Eat 'em up, Tigers, eat 'em up!

Michiganders are a large part of the CP guest base, so I can't see them doing that.

If it's keep the entire park closed for an extra month or open it up only to Ohioans a month earlier, I'd imagine they'd opt for the latter. I'm just questioning Dewine's logic.

djDaemon said:

Maybe, but it's not like it's going to draw nearly as many people as Cedar Point would.

It's so crazy that theaters and indoor FECs are okay to open, but not the park. There has to be a rationale.

What even are theaters showing?

Right? And how? Even with every other row and spaced within rows seating it's still way more dangerous, according to the exposure distance and duration calculus, compared to any outdoor scenario.

Brandon

Makes me wish I still lived closer to a drive-in. Before I moved to Columbus, I lived about fifteen minutes from the Lynn Twin Drive-In in Strasburg, where young me discovered wonderful things like double features, eating popcorn outside, and the curious smell of a lit Pic mosquito coil.

The last movie I think I saw there was the midnight premier of Revenge of the Sith. It was a spectacularly starry night, which made the opening space battle scene look unreal.

Proud 5th Liner and CP fan since 1986.

How anything indoors is safer than anything outside is crazy to me. The people in Walmart and Meijer can't even follow the direction arrows on the ground, or practice 6 ft distancing.

Since when has Kings Island been a separate legal entity?

Sollybeast- there‘s South High drive in showing first run on two screens. On S High, between 104 and Great Southern.

Last edited by RCMAC,

Re: mortality and infection counts... You can't talk about those numbers without taking about the intention rates, that is how contagious something is. Even with mitigation, in most places the R0 (the rate used in that modeling), peeked at 2.2 or higher in most places. That's why it's exponential, and that's why authorities responded as they did.

Which leads to the other opinion that there was an overreaction. There is plenty of evidence both on a small regional scale in the US, and in entire nations like Brazil, that show what happens when you under react.

Opening movie theaters before parks seemed pretty weird to me, too, but I think I get it. Tens of thousands of people gathering outdoors is less risky to individuals, but the problem is that the potential for a large scale "super spreader" event is high. I don't know if there's any scientific precedent, so it feels very gut based a decision.

That said, I'm not a fan of the gut approach, but even less a fan of the political approach the legislature wants to take. I'm skeptical they can override the governor's inevitable veto.

Jeff - Advocate of Great Great Tunnels™ - Co-Publisher - PointBuzz - CoasterBuzz - Blog - Music

You must be logged in to post

POP Forums app ©2024, POP World Media, LLC - Terms of Service