CP Reopening- Gov DeWine comments

We (partially) shutdown the country because 2,977 died on September 11. Makes sense for us close again for something impacting many more families.

As someone who knows family and friends directly impacted by this virus, I’ll always err to the side of caution. Money isn’t everything.

MrJohnJLewis said:

So we are shutting down the United States because 109,000 out of 328,200,000 died? (0.033%)

Again, your logic is disastrously flawed. You are using the death count resulting from the measures we've taken to argue that we shouldn't have taken them in the first place.

That's like arguing that seat belts are no longer needed because not that many people who wear seat belts get ejected from vehicles in an accident.

Brandon

So....I must be quite dumb to not understand the newest park update. Why do we need a bill to pass in order for them to reopen? I thought DeWine would just say to open and approve their plans? Am I missing something?

I think it is their way of putting pressure on DeWine.

But are the cabins assembled to Giant Wheel yet??????

380 MF laps
Smoking Area Drone Pilot

Uncle Steve said:

The shutdown is bogus. It has caused far more harm than good.
Government spending trillions, businesses losing billions, millions of people still unemployed, and now riots in the streets. Ridiculous.

The current unrest isn't related to COVID at all. Google 'George Floyd' for more information.

^^ we need someone with a boat or perhaps a drone to tell us that!!!

The CP/KI statement says to me that Cedar Fair is aggressive in trying to get the two parks open and knows they are running out of time and getting very frustrated

CP Coaster Top 10: 1. Steel Vengeance (40 rides to date) 2. Top Thrill Dragster (191 launches to date, 4 rollbacks) 3. Magnum XL 200 4. Millennium Force 5. Maverick 6. Raptor 7. GateKeeper 8. Valravn 9. Rougarou 10. Gemini

I see different coasters cycling on the webcams from time to time. Raptor is running at the time of me writing this.

Joe
Eat 'em up, Tigers, eat 'em up!

As is Valravn

And today's news conference has been cancelled.

Promoter of fog.

Yeah, he said any updates scheduled for today would be released via press kits and will be available on coronavirus.ohio.gov

There are 328,200,000 people that live in the United States

There are 1,890,000 confirmed cases of Coronavirus in the United States

Of the same 1,890,000 confirmed cases; 109,000 deaths have occurred (6%)

So we are shutting down the United States because 109,000 out of 328,200,000 died? (0.033%)

No. We're didn't close anything because people died. No amount of action we take will bring folks back. Rather, we took aggressive action so that (328M - 1.9M) * 0.06 =19.6M people didn't die.

And, yes, that is a glib calculation because more people than those confirmed have had it, but it's not as glib as using the entire population as your denominator and pretending that gives useful numbers.

So what your suggesting is that if we did NOT take measures then we would have over 10 times the amount of Coronavirus cases. That just seems unreasonable. Everyone on this site doesn't seem to allow anyone to have an opinion unless is is based on statistical data. What you are claiming is just an extreme projection. In my opinion, you could double the amount stated in my post and the percentages would still be low

It was also mentioned previously by another person that we did not shut down the United States. But infact we did. According to a May 2019 article on the New York Times, they claim that there were about 36,000,000 on unemployment. That is a HUGE number.

It's not all about money, but more people are being negatively affected by the shut down than people getting the Coronavirus.

DeWine is not going to let CP open until he wins a Ticket for a Lifetime.

MrJohnJLewis said:

Everyone on this site doesn't seem to allow anyone to have an opinion unless is is based on statistical data.

Anyone here can share their opinion with no worries but as soon as that opinion is stated as factual, don't be upset when someone asks for data to back up that claim. It's not a hard concept.

MrJohnJLewis said:

So what your suggesting is that if we did NOT take measures then we would have over 10 times the amount of Coronavirus cases. That just seems unreasonable. Everyone on this site doesn't seem to allow anyone to have an opinion unless is is based on statistical data. What you are claiming is just an extreme projection. In my opinion, you could double the amount stated in my post and the percentages would still be low

Let's unbox that...

"That just seems unreasonable" and "you could double the amount stated in my post and the percentages would still be low." But it's not. That's exponential math. Ohio, at the peek in mid-March, had an infection rate of 2.2, meaning that for every person who was infected, 2.2 others would be infected. 2 turns to 4, to 8, 16, 32, 64, 128, etc. If lily pads grew exponentially to cover a pond, doubling every day, it's important to understand that the day before it's covered, it's only half covered. Social distancing and quarantine stopped that.

"...allow anyone to have an opinion unless is is based on statistical data." Well, yeah, because observable outcomes have nothing to do with opinions. I can have the opinion that I'm rich, but if I have $10 to my name, I'm observably not rich.

Jeff - Advocate of Great Great Tunnels™ - Co-Publisher - PointBuzz - CoasterBuzz - Blog - Music

So zoos are ok, but not an amusement park?

I'm confused.

Promoter of fog.

Yeah, the exclusion of amusement parks is strange considering what's on the list of things allowed to reopen. Movie theaters before an outdoor amusement park?

Aquariums
Art galleries
Country clubs
Ice skating rinks
Indoor family entertainment centers
Indoor sports facilities
Laser tag facilities
Movie theaters (indoor)
Museums
Playgrounds (outdoor)
Public recreation centers
Roller skating rinks