To wear a mask or not wear a mask?

But because it isn't nothing, it doesn't mean it is something effective.

Of course. But, using the numbers from the cartoon ... would you rather come into contact with 20K germs or 200M? Both may be gross, but I'd rather take my chances with 20K than 200M. Of course, in the hand sanitizer cases I get to decide whether to use it and hence how much crud might be on my hands. In the mask case, someone else is deciding how much they're sending my way...

Thank you, DJ, for conveying that better than I could have. Of course a mask isn’t 100% effective against transmitting/contracting the virus. But even if wearing one cut your chances in half, isn’t it worth it when we’re talking about the cumulative effect of hundreds of millions of people?

Or even if you look at from a completely self-serving point of view: what actions can I take that will help my life return to normal sooner rather than later?

Brandon

Condoms are only 98% effective, but I still recommend using them.

ROUNDABOUND.

djDaemon said:

Or even if you look at from a completely self-serving point of view: what actions can I take that will help my life return to normal sooner rather than later?

My answer: Don't go to an amusement park.

GP answer: Run to Steel Vengeance as fast as possible, try to stay 6 feet ahead of everyone else.

-- Chuck Wagon --
aka Pagoda Gift Shop

Shane Denmark said:

Condoms are only 98% effective, but I still recommend using them.

Especially when teamed up with another form of protection like the pill.

It's almost like if I protect myself and you protect yourself the risk is even more reduced than if only one of us is protected!

But rights and freeeeedoms???

I woke up in a free country!

When I first saw that clip, I was absolutely convinced it was parody. I mean, it's just too on-the-nose to be real. Wearing sunglasses in a store, equating a company's policy with infringing on his rights, calling other people sheep. It's all just too absurd to be true, right? If only.

Thankfully these morons are outliers. Go ahead you brave heroes, boycott Costco. They won't miss you and neither will I.

Brandon

^If you liked that, you've got to see Shelley Lewis from Gelson's Dana Point. Talk about privilege. The cart guy dancing is hilarious. Then to find out she is a flat earther... classic!

Just another Karen

Last edited by vwhoward,

Joe
Eat 'em up, Tigers, eat 'em up!

Per their announcements today, Six Flags will be requiring masks for all guests. Exceptions for children under 2 and those with breathing problems only. That second exception should make for an interesting enforcement/verification issue.

CP Coaster Top 10: 1. Steel Vengeance (40 rides to date) 2. Top Thrill Dragster (191 launches to date, 4 rollbacks) 3. Magnum XL 200 4. Millennium Force 5. Maverick 6. Raptor 7. GateKeeper 8. Valravn 9. Rougarou 10. Gemini

All guests over the age of two and all team members will be required to wear face masks covering the nose and mouth throughout their visit/work day. Accommodations may be made on a case-by-case basis for persons with disabilities, health concerns, religious restrictions, or other circumstances that in Six Flags’ discretion warrant a modification of this face mask requirement

Unlike CF, SIX requires a Dr. note for the Boarding Pass program (disabilities) so I wonder if they will require a Dr. or Pastor note here as well. The religious restriction one will be interesting to see play out as it puts the park in the position arbitrating issues of faith.

Looking forward to all the entitled Karens who suddenly have breathing problems but can't disclose what due to HIPAA.

^ So basically all of the coaster enthusiasts that have been getting alternate access passes from Guest Services because they can’t bribe the ride crews to let them up the exit anymore. Shame.

Yup. Worked one of the big coasters this past summer. The alternate access program was openly and obviously abused frequently.

You can never say an individual "appears to have no disability", because there are lots of disabilities that cannot be visibly seen. The AA program is fantastic for people with autism or special sensory needs.

But come on, clearly there's something wrong when every day we would get huge groups of 8,10,12,16+ people with matching AA passes who often DEMAND they all sit on the same train.

Gates in manual, I guess.

But come on, fix your broken system Cedar Point.

Last edited by cpblue,

I'm surprised. I thought that Disney would require masks, but thought Six Flags would take a more lenient approach and only recommend them. That seems to tilt things in favor of Cedar Fair also requiring them, but we will have to see how things progress by the time they actually open.

-- Chuck Wagon --
aka Pagoda Gift Shop

Disney kind of has to require them because of the back-to-work agreement they reached with their unions. Not sure what the story with Six Flags is, but Six Flags has a history of trying to standardize across the company, and they do operate in some jurisdictions where face coverings are required by local order. I can see Six Flags applying the most restrictive standard to all parks, at least on paper.I think Cedar Fair is more likely to defer to the jurisdictional authority and require them where the AHJ requires them and recommend them everywhere else.

On a related note, Fun Spot has re-opened its two Central Florida parks. One park has a face covering requirement and the other does not because of the jurisdictional rules.

--Dave Althoff, Jr.

/X\ *** Respect rides. They do not respect you. ***
/XXX\ /X\ /X\_ _ /X\__ _ _____
/XXXXX\ /XXX\ /XXXX\_ /X\ /XXXXX\ /X\ /XXXXX
_/XXXXXXX\_/XXXXX\_/XXXXXXX\_/XXX\_/XXXXXXX\__/XXX\__/XXXXXX

cpblue said:

Yup. Worked one of the big coasters this past summer. The alternate access program was openly and obviously abused frequently.

You can never say an individual "appears to have no disability", because there are lots of disabilities that cannot be visibly seen. The AA program is fantastic for people with autism or special sensory needs.

But come on, clearly there's something wrong when every day we would get huge groups of 8,10,12,16+ people with matching AA passes who often DEMAND they all sit on the same train.

Gates in manual, I guess.

But come on, fix your broken system Cedar Point.

Absolutely! This is where one would be called names for assuming somebody’s disability of any kind. However, considering that exact same group back in 2016 never once used Alternate Access passes until management cracked down on not allowing this specific entitled group to just come up an exit and get on. It’s abusive to the program and not even the least bit compassionate to those who actually require alternate access just so these enthusiasts can get 10 rides on Millennium Force in a day. It’s pathetic to say the least.

The max number of people you can have attached to an AA pass is 4, including the person to which it's issued. As abuse continued throughout the summer, our supervisors were frequently told that they are allowed to disregard big groups of 8,10, etc. We were subsequently told that we were allowed to turn back these groups and confiscate their passes.

But in almost every case, all the group has to do is complain to guest services and they would all be allowed up the exit. All summer, there was a large disconnect between park management, guest services, and our ride crew + supervisors.

Our entire ride crew and supervisors, and without exaggerating, had little authority enforcing rules. We could do it, but ALL a guest has to do is complain. A guest physically shoved me into a wall once, and CP police told me I could press charges. I declined, thinking that being kicked out of the park would be enough.

They let them ride the coaster instead. Then, after they complained to a higher level, they were allowed to ride up the exit accompanied by CP police, an area supervisor, and a few black polos from corporate.

CP has a long way to go. I got a real "county fair" vibe working there. Which is not how they marketed the experience when I decided to work here. I still loved meeting new people, though. The crew made it worth it.

But I digress, rant over 😂

Last edited by cpblue,

That's not a new issue at all unfortunately. It was the same when I worked for CF in the early 2000s. People abused the policies left and right. Once they were confronted with their policy abuse they just go to Guest Services, usually tell a story that they're the victim and then come right back victoriously. It's sad and disappointing.

The "customer is always right" nonsense needs to stop. And that applies to more than just amusement park customers. The customer is usually wrong 90% of the time, bending over backwards in the disguise of "customer service" has helped create this entitled Karen culture we suffer in now.

You took the words right out of my mouth! That's exactly how almost all of my crew felt as well. Cedar Fair treats park employees poorly, and many of my friends and crew feel the same way.

In my case, why the hell did the park side with the guest's "I did not assault that employee" over my "that guest just assaulted me and here is another employee who witnessed it".

I've got loads more of those. In one summer. Two months. 😂

Last edited by cpblue,

Disney is no different. Horrific, abusive guest behavior is frequently rewarded.

You must be logged in to post

POP Forums app ©2024, POP World Media, LLC - Terms of Service