Virus Impact on CP

Agreed, Jeff. Quite honestly, I find it unrealistic to expect Cedar Point to open this season. Between the sheer quantity of associates that are:

1. From out of state, requiring a 14 day (Cedar Fair sponsored if living in Commons) quarantine period.
  2. Required to get the majority of the park open without overworking staff (Cedar Point won't be able to keep their associates if people are working from 7:30 to 11:00 every day)
  3. Living in one place in commons, making a single on-campus associate catching Coronavirus spell an instant end to park operations.

In addition to the staffing struggles the park already faced during regular operation, it's not going to be feasible to expect the park to operate, especially with the stance DeWine has already taken regarding large sports events and other gatherings, which are arguably better at supporting social distancing policies.

Millennium Force 2020
Raptor 2019

Jeff said:

That nonsense is all about getting votes, which is sad, because in an ideal world, we'd vote for people who respect science and expertise.

But in reality, the solution needs to be a mix of what science says and what makes sense politically and economically. In the same way that politicians don’t listen to what scientists say, scientists don’t come to their conclusions based on what is best for the economy.

What would be best, scientifically, is we lock every man woman and child in their homes and do not let them out other than to go to the hospital or to get food. Keep them there until there are no new cases of COVID, however long that might be. Close every business that people do not rely on for basic human survival. That would squash the virus real quick, but it’s not feasible whatsoever.

saratonin22 said:

djDaemon said:

For me, an ideal day at the park starts with rolling out of bed at Breakers when we feel like it, grabbing breakfast at Perkins, then leisurely finding our way into the park. And at the end of the day, grabbing a drink as the kids enjoy the pool back at Breakers.

Your ideal day at the park and mine sound pretty much identical. Guess time will tell when / if we get to relive those leisurely Breakers wake-ups. In the spirit of optimism, last week I went ahead and made a few reservations at Breakers spaced out throughout the summer so that hopefully we can get a visit or two in if they open! Interestingly, you couldn't book in May, but starting in June, you could.

Sounds like my favourite day.

I love to stay at the Econo-Lodge on Cleveland Rd. Usually the g/f and I are up early, coffee in the car listening to WJR (as the rooms are non-smoking), putting beer into the cooler, snacks into the pack, and off to the park.

At the end of the day, it's time for some harness racing (at the Thirsty Pony), and a couple of beers. Back to the room for pizza or sandwiches.

I imagine this year is going to be a wash, even if they're open. Not sure if I'm going to spend any hotel money as it might not be worth it.

For those of you who don't plan on going to Cedar Point or any larger amusement/theme park this year, try spending some of your money at your local FECs or smaller parks. Or just any local attraction that you might not otherwise visit because its something you've already done. Maybe even visit your local, state, or national park and enjoy some of the beauty nature has to offer. Enjoy your summer and support those who need that money or those places that rely on donations to operate.

CPVet said:

But in reality, the solution needs to be a mix of what science says and what makes sense politically and economically.

But that's not what's happening at all. Scientists gave a reasonable framework for reopening society, based on benchmarks and data, along with long-term recommendations for testing and contact tracing, and the United States has done none of that, and not reached any of the benchmarks they established. So what's going to happen is, yay, we flattened the curve, now we're going to have one that gets out of control anyway, which will have a far greater economic toll.

I hope I'm completely wrong, but there's little evidence to suggest that I am, and that's unfortunate.

Jeff - Advocate of Great Great Tunnels™ - Co-Publisher - PointBuzz - CoasterBuzz - Blog - Music

I'm planning to hit up Holiday World this year and maybe Indiana Beach since it's now under new ownership and probably off to a rough start. I'll visit CP and KI if they open and buy some merchandise to help them out.

Brian
Valravn Rides: 24| Steel Vengeance Rides: 27| Dragster Rollbacks: 1

Wondering if a partial park opening might be more realistic. Rides opening in rotation. Certain rides and shops on certain days. Or only the front half of the park (which doesn’t work as well since people can’t spread out ad easily)

First ride; Magnum 1994

^^ We also plan on visiting Holiday World this season for the first time ever. I've wanted to real bad these last few years, but, Dollywood, Carowinds, Kings Dominion, and KI have won the family votes in years previous.

My plan this year is maybe one visit to Point depending on restrictions and how much I deem it to be worth it with my pass now valid through 2021. My family and I typically spent every other Sunday in the park and then random days we would just got for an hour or 3, grab some food, maybe ride something with a short line and head home. Obviously random spur of the moment trips are gone, but trying it may just not be worth planning out in advance, reserving a ticket, hoping I don't have a slightly elevated body temp that day, etc., for a park the size of CP or KI that will surely have a lot of demand. Don't get me wrong, I fully agree with all the possible guidelines and will have no problem wearing a mask, it's more of the logistics now.

I am also another person advocating supporting local FECs, and smaller family owned parks. Parks like Indiana Beach, Kentucky Kingdom, Holiday World will need support more than Corporate parks. If you feel CP or KI may be too much of a headache this year, consider taking your money to one of these places.

Don't forget Waldameer and Conneaut Lake (which frankly looks like it's dealt with a pandemic for the last 30 years), both a fairly short drive from NEO.

Also a bit farther away but is there ever a valid reason to NOT go to Knoebels? Although Fascination might not be open.

-Craig
Lifetime Laps on Woodstock Express: 0

Holiday World and Waldameer are both definitely on my radar for later this Summer if things look a bit better by then. For the past 4 years as Platinum Pass holders, we've been taking Summer trips to a different Cedar Fair park, and then CP, for a week. Cedar Point is a super special place to us...but this might be the year to kind of get away from the big things, and spend a few days outside our regular comfort zone. I've been to Waldameer once a long time ago, since Erie is literally a straight shot up the highway from me in Pitt, and it seems like a doable getaway, where we could sort of do things at our own pace instead of being herded around in a mass of humanity like usual.

GL2CP said:
Wondering if a partial park opening might be more realistic. Rides opening in rotation. Certain rides and shops on certain days. Or only the front half of the park (which doesn’t work as well since people can’t spread out ad easily)

You've hit on why that might not be a good idea.

Restricting supply can have undesired and often unexpected effects. Yes, part of the reason grocery stores are so crowded these days is because groceries have replaced restaurant dining for a whole lot of food consumption. But part of the reason is that they have all dramatically shortened their hours. Before March 29 you would almost never have found me in a grocery store before 10pm; now the place closes at 9.

If you have a partial park open, even with a limited crowd the crowding can become a problem just because there is nowhere for everybody to go. That's similar to the issue with virtual queues: where is everybody who would normally be standing in line?

--Dave Althoff, Jr.

/X\ *** Respect rides. They do not respect you. ***
/XXX\ /X\ /X\_ _ /X\__ _ _____
/XXXXX\ /XXX\ /XXXX\_ /X\ /XXXXX\ /X\ /XXXXX
_/XXXXXXX\_/XXXXX\_/XXXXXXX\_/XXX\_/XXXXXXX\__/XXX\__/XXXXXX

The park will open this season. DQ and the Marina are already open, and the Marina Store and Famous Dave's open next week.

Six Flags revealed their reservation system for this season, and I can imagine that Cedar Fair will have something similar.

Plans are different than action. None of this has been implemented yet. They want to open. I think they'll likely open. But to say they *will* is confidence that frankly nobody should have about anything right now.

According to the page Ohio Valley Coasters, Orion was testing again today.

Brian
Valravn Rides: 24| Steel Vengeance Rides: 27| Dragster Rollbacks: 1

SuperS0nicSam said:

The park will open this season. DQ and the Marina are already open, and the Marina Store and Famous Dave's open next week.

The Marina Store is already open. Dropped some cash in there Saturday. Bought 2 toothbrushes and a long sleeve shirt that I didnt need. The transaction was totally touchless. I scanned the items, scanned my season pass, paid with Apple Pay, grabbed my receipt and put my items in a bag they had available then got a squirt of hand sanitizer on the way out the door.

Now if they would get the Surf Lounge open, Im pretty sure I could keep the park in positive cash flow for a while.

Steve Shives
First Cedar Point Visit - 1972
Dockholder-Cedar Point Marina

And at this point, that *can* open, can't it? It's just that your habits alone are probably not *quite* enough to justify operations...

The most worrisome thing at the moment is the situation with the Department of Agriculture, which has apparently laid off all the ride inspectors. I'm guessing those guys are not going to be recalled until the State has a re-opening plan for amusement parks, or until the State decides to allow licensing with third party inspections. Every ride permit in Ohio expired on December 31, and I'm *guessing* that nothing at Cedar Point has been inspected by the State yet.

--Dave Althoff, Jr.

/X\ *** Respect rides. They do not respect you. ***
/XXX\ /X\ /X\_ _ /X\__ _ _____
/XXXXX\ /XXX\ /XXXX\_ /X\ /XXXXX\ /X\ /XXXXX
_/XXXXXXX\_/XXXXX\_/XXXXXXX\_/XXX\_/XXXXXXX\__/XXX\__/XXXXXX

RideMan said:

And at this point, that *can* open, can't it? It's just that your habits alone are probably not *quite* enough to justify operations...

The most worrisome thing at the moment is the situation with the Department of Agriculture, which has apparently laid off all the ride inspectors. I'm guessing those guys are not going to be recalled until the State has a re-opening plan for amusement parks, or until the State decides to allow licensing with third party inspections. Every ride permit in Ohio expired on December 31, and I'm *guessing* that nothing at Cedar Point has been inspected by the State yet.

--Dave Althoff, Jr.

They can "self inspect"?

No. No they can't.

Last edited by Kevinj,

Promoter of fog.

Self inspection led to people dying at the Ohio State Fair a couple of years ago.

You must be logged in to post

POP Forums app ©2024, POP World Media, LLC - Terms of Service