Cedar Point COVID-19 Update - March 20, 2020

I thought at one point they started doing stamps later in the day like 12p or 2p? Maybe I am just remembering it wrong.

I think the major flaw turned out to be the long wait for the stamp. The booth was on the midway and the line went waaay down the midway and formed like that pretty much right away. So it was more like “Avoid the Wait! (Wait over here, please)”.

Did you have to pay for the stamp?
having to pay really helps shorten lines.

New for 2024- Wicked Twister Plus

Nope. It was first come first serve. It was nice for awhile before it caught on and people understood how it worked.

Cartwright said:

I'm cautiously optimistic that a Memorial Day/early June opening is possible. Likely with some restrictions, but at this point I'd take the worst operating conditions ever to have a sense of normalcy in the world

Where are you getting the idea of Memorial Day/early June? The park’s website says they will open in mid-may as usual.

Jake Padden
13-Tiques/Wave Swinger
12-Camp Snoopy; Tiques/Wave Swinger
11-CP & LE Railroad Platform; Cedar Creek Mine Ride; Tiques/Wave Swinger

Jake10- It also says they will monitor the situation, meaning the opening time frame could change. Universal just delayed their re-opening. It’s not unreasonable to think this goes into June.

ROUNDABOUND.

Jake10 said:

Cartwright said:

I'm cautiously optimistic that a Memorial Day/early June opening is possible. Likely with some restrictions, but at this point I'd take the worst operating conditions ever to have a sense of normalcy in the world

Where are you getting the idea of Memorial Day/early June? The park’s website says they will open in mid-may as usual.

Even with the lack of sports, that is one bet I would not put my money on.

If things keep progressing as they are I doubt any seasonal park will open before June/July at this point. Too many people are still ignoring the "stay-at-home" orders. Confirmed cases are still going up, 120 new confirmed cases alone in one day in Ohio yesterday. Michigan was over 1,300 confirmed cases.

It's okay to be optimistic, but take any of these tentative dates with a grain of salt.

When they do open, it will probably be a rolling restart. Like advance registration might be required to limit crowds before rolling out a public opening. I could also see them having only limited attractions available. And expect longer waits as they will likely be sanitizing after every ride cycle.

Last edited by Thabto,

Brian
Valravn Rides: 24| Steel Vengeance Rides: 27| Dragster Rollbacks: 1

I like your idea of advanced registration. (Maybe a future discussion for Halloweekends as well).

The thought of essentially a protein spill delay for each dispatch is just....unimaginable. Not to mention the costs involved in materials alone. Plus the restraint systems were not likely designed to sustain that kind of constant chemical exposure.

Last edited by Cargo Shorts,

I could also see the possibility of opening only to Ohio residents (ID would be required for entry) if the number of cases in Ohio is down while other states may not have peaked yet, that's if some kind of travel restriction isn't already in place.

Brian

That would certainly PO Michigan! Your Gold and Platinum Passes are now only valid Michigan's Adventure. Have fun!

Oh boy, you just opened a huge can of worms. :)

If Michigan is also under control by then, they could also be allowed as well as any other state that has a drop in number of new cases. Just like FL is trying to restrict NY and NJ, but in the end, that probably won't do much to slow the spread. I thought I read somewhere recently that WDW was only going to be open to FL residents for a time after they reopen, but that may have just been someone's speculation.

Last edited by Thabto,

Brian

MaverickLaunch said:

As far as adding days goes, I would like to see something like HW Thursdays even if it's for limited rides. Or stay open the week of Labor Day. There are easier ways to add days to the operating calendar than to simply tack them on to the end of the schedule.

And by mid November, nobody wants to be there anyways. Hell, in 2019 we had a foot of snow in early November. Which is unusual, but it does happen!

Indeed. It's a miserable place in the offseason. The wind from the lake is brutal.

Cleveland Clinic models are pointing to mid-May as when they are going to see their peak amount of patients due to the pandemic. I think the park opening in the month of May is optimistic at best.

-Craig
Lifetime Laps on Woodstock Express: 0

I don't think we will see large crowds nationwide until late June/early July as hot spots will continue to pop up as we've seen.

Enjoy the rest of your day at America's Rockin' Roller Coast! Ride On!

Thabto- As usual, upstate and western NY gets the shaft because of NYC.

Yesterday there were just over 30,000 cases in New York State. Almost 28,000 were in NYC, Long Island, etc.

Today there are over 37,000 cases in New York State. I expect the ratio to be similar. The most infected county outside of “downstate” has just over 150 cases, and that’s Albany.

Yet another reason why I wish NYC and surrounding area would become the 51st state.

Last edited by Shane Denmark,

ROUNDABOUND.

or preferably their own country. Along with most of Cali. ;)

June 11th, 2001 - Gemini 100
VertiGo Rides - 82
R.I.P. Fright Zone, and Cyrus along with it.

Shane I tend to agree with you. But in this specific case if we here in Western/Upstate NY were a separate state. It's very likely we wouldn't have these strict social distancing/ work policies and our numbers would be much worse. So in terms of Monroe County we shut everything down much earlier than we would have without NYC. As an Uber driver I can tell ya it's not even worth going out there and working. While financially it's a hard it, it's proof things are shut down to the point where we are irrelevant other than for the few that still need to get to work.

When it comes to CP and opening up, especially with severe under staffing and a whole new set of safety protocols. Not to mention a huge portion of the customer base being economically devastated after months of scraping by. It's a big ask.

The business model seems to have taken an even bigger shift this year towards packing the park with people/ multiple visits. So if you can't pack the park how does the business model hold up? I would assume if the park cannot turn a profit they won't open up at a loss? What a nightmare.

At least there is some hope for CP. My Dave Matthews concerts are toast at this point.

I hear UberEats driving is where it’s at these days. Here in Ohio, at least. With so many restaurants re-inventing themselves to try to stay afloat, and with some of us sick of our own cooking, combined with the uncertainty of shopping, it’s busy. They also have contact-free options- driver and customer don’t even have to meet.

There's a lot of opportunity there, provided that they can be safe about the way they transfer and handle the food. It's the only lifeline the industry has at the moment. (Disclaimer: I'm starting to work for a company that facilitates online ordering next week, so I hope that this is in fact the case.)

Jeff - Advocate of Great Great Tunnels™ - Co-Publisher - PointBuzz - CoasterBuzz - Blog - Music

You must be logged in to post

POP Forums app ©2024, POP World Media, LLC - Terms of Service