Cedar Point COVID-19 Update - March 20, 2020

The following is Cedar Point's COVID-19 update for March 20, 2020. Cedar Point's official updates can always be found at https://www.cedarpoint.com/park-update.

At Cedar Fair, the safety and well-being of our Guests and Associates are always our top priorities.

As we continue to follow regional and national health directives related to COVID-19, we want to provide the latest update regarding our park schedule. Currently, our Castaway Bay Resort hotel is temporarily closed. It is our hope to reopen that property mid-May or as soon thereafter as possible. Likewise, we plan to open Cedar Point, all Cedar Point Resorts properties and the Cedar Point Marinas mid-May or as soon thereafter as possible. We believe this decision is in the best interest of our associates, our guests, and our communities.

We will work with Guests who have an existing reservation or prepaid specific day ticket during the time period of our park closure. For prepaid ticket inquiries, please submit your request at: www.cedarpoint.com/contact-us. For hotel re-bookings, please contact us at cpresorts@cedarpoint.com.

For 2020 Season Passholders, we will be adding days to the park’s operating calendar to accommodate for the days the park is temporarily closed (against original 2020 operating calendar). Additionally, 2020 Season Passholders will enjoy added-value benefits to be announced at time of park opening.

We appreciate the support and cooperation of our Guests and Associates during this ever-evolving situation. Your loyalty to Cedar Point is invaluable. We look forward to seeing you soon.

Walt Schmidt - Co-Publisher, PointBuzz
PointBuzz on Twitter | Facebook | YouTube
Home to the Biggest Fans of the World's Best Amusement Park

I'm cautiously optimistic that a Memorial Day/early June opening is possible. Likely with some restrictions, but at this point I'd take the worst operating conditions ever to have a sense of normalcy in the world

Even 1 Train Ops?

Good to know. Was planning on going mid May....

Just Coasting said:

Even 1 Train Ops?

A roller coaster running reduced capacity or a shuttered park due to a global pandemic? Hmm.

It says they will be adding days to the operating calendar. Does this mean they may be open until around Thanksgiving or maybe they will try to add weekdays during Halloweekends?

Brian
Valravn Rides: 24| Steel Vengeance Rides: 27| Dragster Rollbacks: 1

The adding of days at these parks is interesting, if any end up actually opening. Kings Island is closed half of August and had virtually no public operating days in early September either, whereas CP has a full August schedule and more public September dates. Id love to see all CF parks have August fully open and add more weekday ops in the first half of September when the weather is usually still warm.

CP Coaster Top 10: 1. Steel Vengeance (40 rides to date) 2. Top Thrill Dragster (191 launches to date, 4 rollbacks) 3. Magnum XL 200 4. Millennium Force 5. Maverick 6. Raptor 7. GateKeeper 8. Valravn 9. Rougarou 10. Gemini

Just Coasting said:

Even 1 Train Ops?

I would take 0 train ops if it means this thing is behind us enough that we are allowed out to be somewhere like CP.

As far as adding days goes, I would like to see something like HW Thursdays even if it's for limited rides. Or stay open the week of Labor Day. There are easier ways to add days to the operating calendar than to simply tack them on to the end of the schedule.

And by mid November, nobody wants to be there anyways. Hell, in 2019 we had a foot of snow in early November. Which is unusual, but it does happen!

I was thinking along the same lines. They mentioned it being for pass-holders (not an insignificant number of people, of course), so probably bonus days after Labor Day with limited rides available.

Promoter of fog.

A lot changes in a day, from 3/19/20:

Good morning Robert!

Thank you for contacting Cedar Point.

Cedar Point is currently scheduled to open to the public on Saturday, May 9th, as planned. Any pre-season special events, such as our Just for Fun Weekend and the Platinum Pass previews, are also scheduled to take place on their planned dates. We are not issuing refunds at this time.

As always, we maintain close relationships with local, state, national and international public health authorities. We take their guidance when additional preventive measures are deemed necessary.

As we are learning, this entire situation is fluid and changes not just from day to day, but from hour to hour. We will keep our guests up-to-date on changes as they occur. Any critical information to be shared will be found on our website and/or social media pages. You can also sign up for our newsletter at www.cedarpoint.com/profile/register for news delivered right to your inbox.

Best Regards,

~~ Cedar Point Admissions and Guest Services Teams

New for 2024- Wicked Twister Plus

As far as Kings Island goes, I can see there being no gap between Haunt and Winterfest or possibly an earlier start to Winterfest this year. Usually the park is bought out most of September. However, if the economic impact makes these companies pinch pennies, they may cancel their park buyouts and they would just be converted to public operating days. Same usually goes for Sunday after opening day. That's usually a buyout day. CP has only one buyout day and that's usually the Saturday after Labor Day and sometimes it's not even for an entire day but just a delayed public opening.

Brian

Fond memories of bonus weekend Friday are flowing right now. The park was only open for four hours (or five including ERT) but holy hell did I get some coaster rides in on that day over the years!!!

Just Coasting said:

Even 1 Train Ops?

Don’t forget the social distancing group size quota. 1 train ops 10 riders max. Only 1 train because when 2 bump...that would be to large a crowd.

Will we see a rebirth of the Millennium virtual que hand-stamps?

Personally, I would prefer to bring back the late closings but my lazy teens, a 1/3 my age that get to sleep for the 2.25 hour drive home would likely whine about it and I would have to leave at 10 anyway. 🤯

Last edited by Cargo Shorts,

Cargo Shorts, what’s Millennium Force que stamps? I don’t remember those.

Last edited by Jake10,

Jake Padden
13-Tiques/Wave Swinger
12-Camp Snoopy; Tiques/Wave Swinger
11-CP & LE Railroad Platform; Cedar Creek Mine Ride; Tiques/Wave Swinger

Cargo Shorts said:

Just Coasting said:

Even 1 Train Ops?

Don’t forget the social distancing group size quota. 1 train ops 10 riders max. Only 1 train because when 2 bump...that would be to large a crowd.

Will we see a rebirth of the Millennium virtual que hand-stamps?

Personally, I would prefer to bring back the late closings but my lazy teens, a 1/3 my age that get to sleep for the 2.25 hour drive home would likely whine about it and I would have to leave at 10 anyway. 🤯

Cargo shorts, I like your idea about the social distancing on the coaster trains, but if it’s mid May, that wouldn’t be practical for the park to do. Anyway, I would love to see the later closings too.

Jake Padden
13-Tiques/Wave Swinger
12-Camp Snoopy; Tiques/Wave Swinger
11-CP & LE Railroad Platform; Cedar Creek Mine Ride; Tiques/Wave Swinger

The stamps were the predecessor to Fast Lane. Basically, they gave you a handstamp with a time to enter the line. I think they called it Freeway if I remember right.

Brian

It was called Freeway specifically because Six Flags Geauga Lake had a Flash Pass system available that you had to pay for. If there hadn't been a system there, Cedar Point wouldn't have started one until much later; in fact I think Freeway went away after they took over Geauga Lake.

--Dave Althoff, Jr.

/X\ *** Respect rides. They do not respect you. ***
/XXX\ /X\ /X\_ _ /X\__ _ _____
/XXXXX\ /XXX\ /XXXX\_ /X\ /XXXXX\ /X\ /XXXXX
_/XXXXXXX\_/XXXXX\_/XXXXXXX\_/XXX\_/XXXXXXX\__/XXX\__/XXXXXX

Freeway was flawed in that you had to be there bright and ugly to get a stamp. If you got to the park later in the day you weren’t getting a stamp for the big rides.

ROUNDABOUND.

^You say "flawed," I say "beneficial to me, an enthusiast." Perhaps a little greedy, but everyone had the same chance to get there early. :)

380 MF laps
Smoking Area Drone Pilot

You must be logged in to post

POP Forums app ©2024, POP World Media, LLC - Terms of Service