Dark ride?

The only explanation I got was that their rides are expensive to maintain and difficult to get parts. And I don't think that's is a good enough reason.

And just because you have more "life experience" once again doesn't make you smarter and worth more. You think just because someone is young, that they ride everything from open to close. That all we want are 500ft coasters. I enjoy going to shows, I spent a few hours in Forbidden Frontier, and I go to the beach. So the generalizations about all young people are narcissistic millennials is untrue and ignorant.

I based all of my opinions on what I feel others are saying about Cedar Point an ultimately what is going to make the park better. And THAT is what truly matters because when I do have kids (someday) that they will be able to enjoy the park as much as I do

I am very confident not EVERYONE thinks Corkscrew, Rougarou and Wicked Twister are Grrrreat!

But yet there they are....still there.....probably for a long time. 🤕

MrJohnJLewis said:

The only explanation I got was that their rides are expensive to maintain and difficult to get parts. And I don't think that's is a good enough reason.

That's because you don't budget the maintenance department. How many theme park companies have you worked for, and in what roles?

And just because you have more "life experience" once again doesn't make you smarter and worth more.

I made no such statement. (I'm definitely worth less after today's stock crash!) But I am objectively wiser. Wisdom and experience comes with time. You can't fast-track that. Sure, some people die asshats and don't become more wise, but most don't.

Jeff - Advocate of Great Great Tunnels™ - Co-Publisher - PointBuzz - CoasterBuzz - Blog - Music

Jeff said:

And my "old man" opinion at 46 ...

Christ on a Cheesestick!! You're 46 now?!

I'm getting old...

That's the name of my punk band.

Promoter of fog.

e x i t english said:

Ah, yes. The formative years of coaster enthusiasm, where you believe the world is centered around you and your “hobby”. It was a long while ago, for me, and it was during the coaster boom, so I guess I was lucky in that regard.

I have to wonder if this scenario is what causes the (perceived) animosity between the old and young folks on this site.

Us old folks got to experience the boom while we were in our young, (mostly) childless, care-free days and there really weren't any elders on the site at that time telling us we were wrong in wanting bigger, taller, faster. Everyone was salivating over what came next. Unbridled excitement comes to mind.

Then the boom slowed way down, we got older and wiser and suddenly the idea of wanting bigger, taller, faster isn't as appealing.

Now at the same time the elders are looking for "less and less" the site's next generation is coming on-board, and, in their carefree years, they are looking for their B/T/F coasters. And they are not happening anywhere close to the frequency that we got to experience. Think about it - we got Millennium, Wicked Twister, and Dragster in 4 years. Who of us wasn't going nuts at that time?

Now think that the younger folks have grown up with those awesome coasters just being there. They never got to live through the excitement of Dragster being built. How many of us rode Witches Wheel just so we could spy on what was happening on the other side of the fence? And then, on top of the building craze being over, there is now a large segment of the site telling them that the park doesn't need that - you young kids just don't understand what the park really needs.

I always wonder how we would have reacted in our heydey if someone had rained on our parade?

Is it time?

Could it be?

It can’t possibly start up after all these years. It’s considered a classic at this point... let’s see.. turning the key, and it’s cranking.... cranking... it’s started!! Now, let’s flip on the sirens and bring back the WAHHHHHMBULANCE!

Weee-ooo Weee-ooo

I don't have animosity toward young people. Sure, there are some that fit the entitled stereotype, but they're not by any means a majority. I value the energy and willingness to learn that most young folks exhibit. It's how I hold on to at least some level of "rational idealism."

I do think there may be some difference in perception, certainly. 2000 was a year of "OMG I can't believe this is happening." Since then, the build of legendary rides has been more gradual. It's also not necessary, because most parks have a handful of great rides.

Jeff - Advocate of Great Great Tunnels™ - Co-Publisher - PointBuzz - CoasterBuzz - Blog - Music

Sure. And as a young person, I also do not hold anything against the elderly on this website. You guys were around when Millennium Force was built, while I was in my small town elementary school unaware that roller coasters could be even built that tall.

From the origin of this post, I never said I wanted a 500ft coaster, I don't think it is necessary. I also am not asking for anything over 150mph. I just want the next coaster that is built to stand the test of time in the way Millennium Force, Top Thrill Dragster, and Maverick have.

I understand there are budgets, and if it cost alot to maintain than put it in the damn budget. I great coaster is an investment, just many of your own personal houses are. Houses are expensive to maintain compare to an apartment and the such, and still; many people buy houses. It's an investment.

Does everyone think Corkscrew, Rougaru, and Wicked Twister are great?? Absolutely not which is why year after year there is speculation on if those rides will be removed or relocated to other parks. You know where I don't hear speculation?? Millennium Force, Top Thrill Dragster, and Maverick. Because those are AMAZING coasters.

Don't get me wrong, I like Gatekeeper and Valravn and some other other mid level coasters, but they don't hold a candle to the top dogs. And I feel like a dark ride would be in the same group.

So to ensure the longevity of Cedar Points future, I am suggesting to build another GREAT coaster that people will tell their friends about. And their friends friends. Like Maverick; it doesn't have to be the tallest or fastest. It just has to be good. I am also in no rush to get said coaster, which I know alot of people are expecting something next year. The anniversary doesn't need to be celebrated with a new coaster (although it would be nice)

And I am also not against kid areas, I have told my wife for years that the kid area between the coliseum and carnival games needs to be revamped big time.

I love Cedar Point, as I am sure everyone here does. And just like everyone here has a job (or at least did, or then how would you afford to visit CP) you have an idea on how your company should do things and what you think is best for your future at that job. Well this is what I think would be best for my future visiting Cedar Point

All I got out of your post is that we are elderly now...

Get off my lawn, Rob! Don't make me put my teeth in and start hollarin' about commies and Kennedy!

MrJohnJLewis said:

So to ensure the longevity of Cedar Points future, I am suggesting to build another GREAT coaster that people will tell their friends about.

Your stubborness prevents you from hearing what we've all been telling you for pages now. The park's longevity does not require another great coaster. I'm sure they'll build one eventually, but they don't need another one. You want one. That's not the same thing as the park needing one.

Wait, age 46 is considered old? I thought I heard that the 40's were the new 20's.

And we are generally wiser with age? I misread the memo, I am generally more of a wisea$$.

I must be one of the elderly, I turn 60 in 2021. Does Golden Buckeye card work at CP?

My daughter just called me old the other day, and she's 25 (with a better grasp on how theme parks work than you do Mr. Lewis). Now I'm being called "elderly".

You kids with your loud music, and your Dan Fogleberg, your Zima, hula hoops and pac-man video games. What is this world coming to?

June 11th, 2001 - Gemini 100
VertiGo Rides - 82
R.I.P. Fright Zone, and Cyrus along with it.

MrJohnJLewis said:

Don't get me wrong, I like Gatekeeper and Valravn and some other other mid level coasters, but they don't hold a candle to the top dogs.

This is just laughably-wrong. Of the rides with the highest ridership, only one Intamin cracks the top 5 - MF. The "top dogs" are GK, Valravn, Magnum, and Raptor.

Last edited by djDaemon,

Brandon

MrJohnLewis- “Intamins are expensive to maintain and difficult to get parts” was far from the only explanation you got. Re-read the thread. Lots of other reasons why CF doesn’t work with Intamin any more.

Like I’ve said, I love Intamin rides, most of my top rides are Intamin but if I owned a park I’m looking elsewhere for the next big thrill coaster

ROUNDABOUND.

^^^Incredibly brave of you to talk about your 25-yr old daughter around these parts, Rob. Now you've got a crowd of coaster nerds wondering if she has a gold pass. ;)

380 MF laps
Smoking Area Drone Pilot

Ok, that made me laugh. Girl knows how to defend herself, no worries there.

And no she doesn't have a gold pass :)

June 11th, 2001 - Gemini 100
VertiGo Rides - 82
R.I.P. Fright Zone, and Cyrus along with it.

Maybe being elderly doesn't allow you to read correctly, but I've said they don't need to do anything at the moment. But when they do decide to put a coaster in, I am simply suggesting that they put in one that stands the test of time. The rideership on Gatekeeper and Valravn is higher because B&M does a great job of making their coaster efficient. What I am talking about is popularity. Not many adults would say either of those rides is their favorite coaster ever. Where many people LOVE Millennium Force, Top Thrill Dragster, and Maverick.

Its Iike you're to old to understand. Have you guys considered a senior living facility??

Last edited by MrJohnJLewis,

MrJohnJLewis said:

The rideership on Gatekeeper and Valravn is higher because B&M does a great job of making their coaster efficient.

You just explained why the park and CF will stick with a company like B&M over Intamin.

Also, I'm 36, guess I am firmly now middle aged if 46 is elderly. *sigh*

Last edited by WolfBobs,

MrJohnJLewis said:

Its Iike you're to old to understand. Have you guys considered a senior living facility??

You're now crossing a line that's dangerously close from you being ejected. Watch yourself, yo.

You must be logged in to post

POP Forums app ©2024, POP World Media, LLC - Terms of Service