Dark ride?

Could the park build a dark ride like Symbolica at Elfteling? Or an awesome modern log flume like Chiapas at Phantasialand? Maybe (although Intamin built Chiapas).

If THAT level of attraction is what we are talking about, count me in 1000%. If its Voyage to the Iron Reef (already replaced) or Wonder Mountain's Guardian or Plants vs Zombies... Absolutely not. I have no interest in that level of mediocrity at CP. Wonderland is my home park and the condition that WMG has been in the last 2 years is disgraceful. Multiple guns on multiple trains not working, lengthy downtime and screens not holding up, targets not working. That ride is only 5 years old last year! There was even a broken screen in the shed on Mystic Timbers last season at KI.

Unless it would be a world class attraction (as CP coasters are), it just doesn't feel like it fits in with what other things CP spends 25 to 30 million dollars on.

Personally, I would LOVE a log flume. We know Tony loves them and he joked about it again at chill out this year. Timber Mountain at Knotts is amazing.

CP Coaster Top 10: 1. Steel Vengeance (40 rides to date) 2. Top Thrill Dragster (191 launches to date, 4 rollbacks) 3. Magnum XL 200 4. Millennium Force 5. Maverick 6. Raptor 7. GateKeeper 8. Valravn 9. Rougarou 10. Gemini

I think that's been the snag for Cedar Point. From day one, Wonder Mountain felt....cheap. And it showed (I have not been on Iron Reef, but considering it's now been replaced/upgraded I think we can assume just how much of a success it was).

Not to get you too excited, James, but Garner Holt (a la Timber Mountain) did the the small but effective touches on Mine Ride recently.

In my fantasy world, they have been asked to work their magic at Cedar Point. Who knows; maybe they are/were involved with SRE as well.

Promoter of fog.

It's hard for me to picture Forbidden Frontier being at CP for more that 5-6 years

Skydiver said:
I don't care much that the splash-pad is gone, but I still really miss the waterball.

It lived on for a couple more years at another park! I do believe they eventually removed it but I tried my best to keep it alive.

99er said:

Skydiver said:
I don't care much that the splash-pad is gone, but I still really miss the waterball.

It lived on for a couple more years at another park! I do believe they eventually removed it but I tried my best to keep it alive.

don’t leave us hanging, where was it sent to?

Wasn’t it at Alabama Adventure?

I know Kennywood has/had one, but it wasn't from Cedar Point because they both had them at the same time for quite a few years.

It was Alabama Adventure. At the time they were getting rid of their interactive fountain as Cedar Point was installing theirs but Alabama Adventure still wanted some type of center piece at the end of their midway. I knew Cedar Point was throwing out the ball so I made the suggestion and AA liked the idea. I facilitated the sale and transfer from Cedar Point to Alabama and was excited it would live on but sadly when the park was bought a few years later the new owners removed it.

These two pictures are the only thing I have from it's installation at Alabama Adventure. Crazy to think these were considered great quality cellphone pics back in 2009.

Last edited by 99er,

Thanks for the info!

MrJohnJLewis said:

It's hard for me to picture Forbidden Frontier being at CP for more that 5-6 years

Well, let's examine the experience. After the initial year, they are 1) adding more actors, and 2) adding a family ride to enhance the experience. That's a good indicator of how successful FF was.

It's hard for me to imagine you having children.

Last edited by Kevinj,

Promoter of fog.

I do not have kids, but we went to Forbidden Frontier last season and thought it was cute for the kids. Being in my late 20's I probably won't be going back but can appreciate it being there just like I can appreciate all kid areas in the park. I was only basing that statement on how I felt like the overall reception of Forbidden Frontier was. I feel like at best, the general public was 50/50 on it. And the fact that it is free, and also I am unaware of a way to track how many guests are actually going there. At least with Dinosaurs Alive, you had a way to make money and track it.

I know the perfect way to track how popular it was. Watch what they do with it.

Adding 50% more actors and a brand new family ride is a fairly good indicator of how well it was received.

Promoter of fog.

Or a way to try and get the public more interested before they scrap their investment. I think one way to "track" potential sales would be to compare the sales of the food stand to other food stands

It's a little narcissistic to believe that your view is the one that the company would base its decision making on, especially in light of all the people trying to tell you that families spend more money than thrill seekers, and are thus a vital component of the customer mix.

Jeff - Advocate of Great Great Tunnels™ - Co-Publisher - PointBuzz - CoasterBuzz - Blog - Music

MrJohnJLewis said:

Being in my late 20's..

Ah, yes. The formative years of coaster enthusiasm, where you believe the world is centered around you and your “hobby”. It was a long while ago, for me, and it was during the coaster boom, so I guess I was lucky in that regard.

Nowadays, I will take chill time and “boring” family stuff any day of the week. I like a good mix so it’s not always “go, go, go”.

^Same with me. In my 20s I would ride as much as possible, back to back, from open to close and would go to as many parks as I could on a trip. Last year at Cedar Point I only rode Blue Streak once. I flew up from Florida and spent maybe 5 hours at the park and only rode Blue Streak. This is your future Mr. Lewis

Being in your twenties without kids is precisely the reason why they won’t scrap the island. You do realize there’s more than one demographic outside of entitled millennials/enthusiasts right?

As has been discussed to death on here the one demographic that the park has repeatedly missed on is the family attractions. FF and SRE are great first steps at addressing this gap and I have a feeling we will get our flume or another family attraction in the next few years. While under Kinzel it was all about having the tallest and fastest, it’s more about the guest experience now, and that includes families.

This is why the internet is poison. People don't read and people just spew out negativity. I didn't say I hated Forbidden Frontier, I literally just said I can't appreciate it being there just as I can appreciate all kid areas within the park. But I don't hear the general public openly complaining about Camp Snoopy in the same way I hear people talk bad about Forbidden Frontier. I went and thought it was fine, but I feel like for something to stay a long time EVERYONE has to agree it is great. And I just don't think that is how EVERYONE feels.

And just because I am in my late 20's doesn't mean your old man opinion is more valuable.

You confuse negativity with disagreement, particularly when you're not making a good argument and telling everyone else that they simply can't read.

And my "old man" opinion at 46 is definitely more valuable because I have more life experience than you do, and at least make a reasonable effort to understand what my blind spots are.

Jeff - Advocate of Great Great Tunnels™ - Co-Publisher - PointBuzz - CoasterBuzz - Blog - Music

MrJohnJLewis said:

This is why the internet is poison. People don't read and people just spew out negativity.

This from the guy whose main point is "I don't care about your explanation, I WANTS AN INTAMIN and that's all that matters"...

Last edited by Honorarius,

You must be logged in to post

POP Forums app ©2024, POP World Media, LLC - Terms of Service