Updates from Winter Chill Out

I think it is most years. I've not been in the off-season with it not wrapped up.

Jeff - Advocate of Great Great Tunnels™ - Co-Publisher - PointBuzz - CoasterBuzz - Blog - Music

It is usually shrink wrapped with the blue wrap. This off season, it is being worked on, so it is wrapped in normal plastic with makeshift wooden doors with a portable heater vented in.

kylepark said:

Walt said:

Cleveland Road sign will be replaced with new design

It would be cool if the new sign incorporated some characteristics of the old sign that stood there from the 1960s to 1990s, but with an LED screen for messages. I always thought the current sign was very bland and mediocre for one of the best amusement parks in the world.

How about an LED screen that adjusts brightness so it doesn’t blind drivers in the evenings and later?

Any pictures going to be posted here from Winter Chillout?

Jeff- Ever been to SeaBreeze? Their band organ is pretty impressive. They also have one of the largest collections of music scrolls in the world. Good for them to go the extra mile when they rebuilt the carousel back in the mid-90s after the original burned to the ground. Oh, and that carousel will never burn again. If the new sprinkler system is ever activated it will flash flood the midway. It’s pretty impressive.

ROUNDABOUND.

Going inside the Maverick launch tunnel was my favorite tour spot ever in my 5 years of going to Chill Out. I talked to the food an beverage guy at lunch, he was very nice and excited about their Vegan place which my wife and I are going to try. I am sad that the Burrito and Burrito Bowl option is gone from the park altogether this year, but he did say that they are looking at ways to bring it back next year in a new location.

CP Coaster Top 10: 1. Steel Vengeance (40 rides to date) 2. Top Thrill Dragster (191 launches to date, 4 rollbacks) 3. Magnum XL 200 4. Millennium Force 5. Maverick 6. Raptor 7. GateKeeper 8. Valravn 9. Rougarou 10. Gemini

Any chance Iron Dragon will get repainted to more earth tone colors? Perhaps brown supports with hunter green track?

Shane Denmark said:

Jeff- Ever been to SeaBreeze? Their band organ is pretty impressive. They also have one of the largest collections of music scrolls in the world. Good for them to go the extra mile when they rebuilt the carousel back in the mid-90s after the original burned to the ground. Oh, and that carousel will never burn again. If the new sprinkler system is ever activated it will flash flood the midway. It’s pretty impressive.

I really need to get to Seabreeze this summer. I haven't been, but have heard only good things about it.

That was one of my favorite parts of Knoebels, the awesome Grand Carousel with the band organ. Also, if I remember correctly, the had one set up as a standalone unit on one of the midways just playing music.

-Craig
Lifetime Laps on Woodstock Express: 0

Band organ, brass ring, beautiful artwork. Best in the country, imo.

PointMan said:

There certainly are changes. They state specifically that Steel Vengeance ERT is included with my reservation. Like I said they even still state that. However, despite what their website says, that's not the case. The fact is that Steel Vengeance ERT is not included with my reservation. That is a change. It's not implied that Steel Vegeance is available, it's stated that Steel Vengeance is available for the ERT.

Change happens. It's up to you to manage that change. Although, some people never learn to manage change effectively.

I'm well over 40 and I didn't get fired up when I read about the organ on a carousel. Its an organ that plays music. On. A. Merry-Go-Round.

I know I am in the minority here, but I wonder if we didn't know that they removed the recording of an organ with a real organ - would we have noticed? Or is there really that much difference between a recording, even if it is synthetic, versus a real organ at an amusement park? I suppose if you are sitting in a concert hall you might hear a difference. But on an amusement park midway?

I admit that I have never heard a real carousel organ. What am I missing about this organ? Does the organist take requests? Does it randomly break out into the chicken dance? Does a monkey wearing a fez run around while the organ grinds away?

In my mind I am comparing this with a calliope on a steam ship. Replace the calliope and its human player with a recording and that takes something away. But replace an organ without a human player with a recording and I do not see the difference. Kind of like replacing a player piano with a recording - what is the difference between the two?

Cedar Point has had this entire offseason to shore up Steel Vengeance, it looks as though they are doing it "Band-Aid" style again for 2020. Their #1 attraction not on early entry for weekdays is pathetic.

It makes zero sense, Cedar Point knows what the problem is but yet has not addressed the issue at hand. One would have thought that Cedar Point would have made this a top priority to get this resolved.

Pointman has a right to be upset, he was sold a bill of goods and the bill of goods changed.

Is anyone else relieved that, despite the overwhelming odds against it, Cedar Point has miraculously found a way to rebuild the bridge to Forbidden Frontier?

-Craig
Lifetime Laps on Woodstock Express: 0

Shades said:

I'm well over 40 and I didn't get fired up when I read about the organ on a carousel. Its an organ that plays music. On. A. Merry-Go-Round.

I know I am in the minority here, but I wonder if we didn't know that they removed the recording of an organ with a real organ - would we have noticed? Or is there really that much difference between a recording, even if it is synthetic, versus a real organ at an amusement park? I suppose if you are sitting in a concert hall you might hear a difference. But on an amusement park midway?

I admit that I have never heard a real carousel organ. What am I missing about this organ? Does the organist take requests? Does it randomly break out into the chicken dance? Does a monkey wearing a fez run around while the organ grinds away?

In my mind I am comparing this with a calliope on a steam ship. Replace the calliope and its human player with a recording and that takes something away. But replace an organ without a human player with a recording and I do not see the difference. Kind of like replacing a player piano with a recording - what is the difference between the two?

I can tell you that there is no doubt in my mind that you will not see any meaningful difference between the two, if you don’t hear a meaningful difference between an the acoustics of an actual player piano and a recording of a player piano played over a speaker.

For those of who care about such things, it is a profound difference in not only sound quality but the quality of the experience.

A worthy detail of import, likely to be overshadowed by the 2020 toll booth experience.

New for 2024- Wicked Twister Plus

I’m guessing the Steel Vengeance early entry deal is a maintenance issue. I bet there will still be a running of the bulls every morning, as people try to line up for Steel Vengeance to get a ride as soon as it opens. There will already be a line when Gold Passholders are let in, and an even longer line when the non-passholders are let into the park.

ROUNDABOUND.

Just Coasting said:

Cedar Point has had this entire offseason to shore up Steel Vengeance, it looks as though they are doing it "Band-Aid" style again for 2020. Their #1 attraction not on early entry for weekdays is pathetic.

It makes zero sense, Cedar Point knows what the problem is but yet has not addressed the issue at hand. One would have thought that Cedar Point would have made this a top priority to get this resolved.

Pointman has a right to be upset, he was sold a bill of goods and the bill of goods changed.

Is it past the time that Pointman can cancel his reservation? The return of his deposit would make him whole in the eyes of the law.
Also, are they stopping him (or anyone with ERT) from heading back there during ERT and being first in line before the non-ERT eligible visitors can get in? It was never going to be running at the drop of the barriers anyway.

Just Coasting said:

1) You have no idea what goes into getting attractions ready for an operating day, let alone a new season. Stop pretending you do.

2) It makes perfect sense. Clearly the ride takes “x” number of hours to get ready for an operating day, and it’s not practical or possible for it to happen by 9am on a regular basis. Rather than disappoint guests, they are setting expectations that are more reasonable for them to reach. To assume there is a “problem” they are choosing not to “solve” just to fit your personal agenda is laughable.

3) Pointman has no right to be upset. He was sold a bill of goods and he is getting what he paid for. One hour of bonus time in the park before everyone else with select rides and attraction open for his enjoyment is what he was sold, and that is what he (and you) will get.

Rugrats2001 said:

I can tell you that there is no doubt in my mind that you will not see any meaningful difference between the two, if you don’t hear a meaningful difference between an the acoustics of an actual player piano and a recording of a player piano played over a speaker.

Yes, the recording would have to be a good quality, but assuming it is what is the difference at an amusement park? Heck, even if it’s not a great recording what is the difference at an amusement park?

Last edited by Shades,

Pointman has a right to be upset, it is his discretion at this point and time to request a refund of his reservations and or reschedule, without penalty.

There has been no talk of restroom upgrades this season, there were rumors of that for quite sometime, just wondering if the parking lot toll booth situation took precedence.

If so, I would agree with the decision to shelve the restroom upgrades to 2021. Cedar Point made the correct choice into fixing the parking lot issue, that was most important, crowds are going to be at a all time high next year. Just hoping they put extra staff on directing traffic when Halloweekends arrive.

You must be logged in to post

POP Forums app ©2024, POP World Media, LLC - Terms of Service