Town Hall Museum Auction

^^Oh I know they're out there. I watch Pawn Stars.

I sure hope a modern amputation set doesn't look like that!

That show is INSANELY staged and fake.

June 11th, 2001 - Gemini 100
VertiGo Rides - 82
R.I.P. Fright Zone, and Cyrus along with it.

Glad there's a chance for me to own a game from the arcade that's one of my favorites since I missed out on getting my favorite pinball machine when they auctioned those off. I'll definitely be keeping an eye on some items up for auction.

Dan Fielding said:

^^Oh I know they're out there. I watch Pawn Stars.

I sure hope a modern amputation set doesn't look like that!

Looks like bone saws haven’t changed much. Not a bad price on Amazon either.

https://www.amazon.com/SurgicalOnline-Satterlee-Handle-Stainless-St...3499&psc=1

I have a dear friend who is a nurse. She collects antique medical equipment, and the stranger the better. She has these items randomly placed around her house, and considers them to be interesting decor. Hmmmm....
Anyway, I thought seriously about bidding for that thing.

I linked it to my best friend. Stuff like that is totally her aesthetic. (She was a full fledged plague doctor for Halloween once. Mask, cloak, whole nine yards.)

Proud 5th Liner and CP fan since 1986.

Took a peak inside the Jitney arcade and saw that they staged the red Gemini Ride Train Photo Op car in the museum along with one of the models of one of the rides.

Looks like no 6 train ops next year on Gemini!

If I'm not mistaken, that car has been in the museum for at minimum 5 years. So, I guess I'm not entirely sure where the dig at the park about not running 6 train ops on Gemini is coming from since that hasn't happened in at least 6 years...

Am I missing something here?

Yeah, a sense of humor.

New for 2024- Wicked Twister Plus

I was just having some reckless speculation previously in this topic.

Wouldn’t it be interesting if they had a station where you could “ride” all of the old rides that people still talk about? Mill Race, White Water Landing, Wildcat, etc. Make it into some sort of VR experience and get to enjoy some of the rides from years past. 29.95 Nostalgia Lane +

1) Millenium 2) Maverick 3) Vengeance 4) Raptor 5) Magnum

I don't remember back in the 70's what all was at the Town Hall except for the clock which fascinated me, but I remember many of the other things in the auction in the 80's, though. They might not be Cedar Point historical per se, but Frontier Town was supposed to resemble an old timey town and I'm sure that's why those items were chosen. So maybe they are going to a Cedar Point historical theme with old rides which will be interesting, but it won't be relevant to a "Frontier town" or old times. It would be neat to see some really old Cedar Point things, though.

Upside-down Fun House
Kris

Bryan, have you used a VR headset for a coaster sim? Not many can handle it. VR on a real coaster works because you are moving in physical space. I have tried a couple of coaster sims on my Oculus Rift and while I avoided the protein spills, I felt like crap and had a mild headache.

What is fun is using Google Earth VR to visit the park in the off season. The map isn’t perfect but you can kind of slowly following along on most of the coaster track. (I haven’t mastered the more complex elements like inversions). A lot of locations even have street view images available so you can pull those up and almost feel like you are there on summer afternoon fighting the crowds, you just don’t have 6 degrees of freedom in those.

Hanging out on the top of Dragster is pretty cool as well.

Last edited by Cargo Shorts,

Bryan A said:

Wouldn’t it be interesting if they had a station where you could “ride” all of the old rides that people still talk about?

I know this is drifting away from the town hall, but I want to spitball for a second. I agree with Cargo Shorts that VR Coasters are a tough sell because the traumatic disconnect between visual input and physical experience. But what if you were to choose a much slower ride to simulate in VR, like perhaps a Paddlewheel boat... B-).

Virtual coasters, you say...?

Proud 5th Liner and CP fan since 1986.

How did everyone do today on the auction.

I got 5 of the 6 lots I went for. :)

June 11th, 2001 - Gemini 100
VertiGo Rides - 82
R.I.P. Fright Zone, and Cyrus along with it.

0 for 1 for me Rob. I really wanted the Wizard of Wor machine because I missed out on the Gorf machines when they cleared them all out a couple years ago.These were my 2 favs at the arcade. It was a treat to see the WOW surface, but at $550 for a dead game, and a few hundred in repair possible if it needs a board set and having to drive 3.5 hours to get it and... it just became too much. The Ms. Pac at 1300 non working is way over value, There is clearly a "I used to play this exact machine, this one" factor in the prices, but I feel that exceeded the values these 2 sold for. That said, there were a lot of fair prices on many other items that just don't come up very often. I almost wish the park would have thrown a few banners or other items that are more common from the park in the auction too.

I had my eye on the Ms. Pacman and I too was blown away at how much it went for. Even the $600 opening bid was a bit mind boggling.

I was amazed the Star Trek chair was valued at $80-$120 and sold for $2000. Value seems pretty low, sale price is shockingly high.

ROUNDABOUND.

The post office went for $650? I would think both the Cedar Point and Ohio history behind it would make it go for way more than that! Whomever had the winning bid on that got a steal!

You must be logged in to post

POP Forums app ©2024, POP World Media, LLC - Terms of Service