Corkscrew Train Repaint

Corkscrew's trains are being restored to the more detailed paint scheme they had in 1976. Also, on Twitter, Tony has said in a reply that the trains will be red and blue.

https://www.cedarpoint.com/blog/new-year-new-corkscrew

Looks great! However, lipstick on a pig comes to my mind.

It looks rather nice, but I think a refurbishment would be in in order for Corkscrew.

Steel Vengeance rides: 210

I'd rather be sailing

Marina operations attendant 2021-2023

updating the lighting packaging would be neat too. Nothing over the top, just a mild led conversion (the softer natural tone lighting, not the harsh blueish ones). Maybe even gradual color shifting or fading.

remember: no matter where you go... there you are.

I feel like refurbishment of some of the older rides would be nice.

I'd rather be sailing

The deals being negotiated are....interesting.

I found that part interesting.

That said, sweet paint job. I wish there was an economical way to make the ride more comfortable, but at least it looks purty.

Promoter of fog.

I would definitely be on board with a refurbishment. I rode it a few times 2027/2018, and I came off that feeling more like 71 than 17. I also rode the thing with healing helix piercings in(big mistake) and my ears hurt like hell afterwards. Here's kind of meme I made about my mistake:

There is (or was) a user on this site who had posted several reasons why corkscrew should stay, all of them great reasons. His name is thedevairouseffect...

I have a question for you guys...

I have the feeling that most of you have been around since Blue streak(or even before that), so you were probably kids/teens when corkscrew came out. Was Corkscrew as rough back then as it is now? If it wasn't as bad, what year did the ride start having problems?

I'd rather be sailing

It's been a long time, and I may be wrong, but it seems to me it was smoother. What passed as smooth then might not be considered smooth now, given the way coasters are currently being designed. I doubt anyone bends wire anymore the way Ron did.

Well in my day...

I was -1 when Corkscrew debuted, and I think Skydiver just described it perfectly. It's the same ride that it was in 1976. What's fun for all of us to picture is the ride having 2.5 hour lines spilling out into the midway, keeping in mind that it was a world-record breaking roller coaster at the time.

Roller coasters were just rough. That's the way it was. In fact, according to my mother-in-law (who was there for its debut and 2+ hour lines), everyone got off thinking how smooth the ride was.

It's all relative.

Last edited by Kevinj,

Promoter of fog.

The photo I have seen of the pilot car looks fantastic. The big surprise is the retro CEDAR POINT logo that appears to be under the nose.

I hope they are also looking into updating the red chase lights on the arches over the midway. In recent years, the combination of faded color, burned out lamps, and a chase sequence that just doesn't look right, those lights just don't look good. The good news is that fixing it might be as simple as replacing a bunch of light bulbs. Well, maybe also correcting a miswired chase controller...

--Dave Althoff, Jr.

/X\ *** Respect rides. They do not respect you. ***
/XXX\ /X\ /X\_ _ /X\__ _ _____
/XXXXX\ /XXX\ /XXXX\_ /X\ /XXXXX\ /X\ /XXXXX
_/XXXXXXX\_/XXXXX\_/XXXXXXX\_/XXX\_/XXXXXXX\__/XXX\__/XXXXXX

A Twitter reply from Tony said that it'll just be the red and BLUE! trains going forward. Found that interesting.

CP Coaster Top 10: 1. Steel Vengeance (40 rides to date) 2. Top Thrill Dragster (191 launches to date, 4 rollbacks) 3. Magnum XL 200 4. Millennium Force 5. Maverick 6. Raptor 7. GateKeeper 8. Valravn 9. Rougarou 10. Gemini

Not only that, but the WHITE train is turning BLUE! Mind blown. The finished red and blue trains will be "inverse" color scheme versions of each other. Should look very sharp!

Director of Communications at Cedar Point

Nice! Loving the look of the new trains, and I won't miss the white at all. Now to re-paint the red train on MF to a beautiful green... :)

380 MF laps
Smoking Area Drone Pilot

^

Hey Tony, what about the elusive green train?

While the new Corkscrew trains look great, I'm a bit skeptical now about the ride's future.

I'd rather be sailing

Trains look great with the new (old?) paint schemes!

They would look much nicer in the CP museum with the ride removed ! ;)

But think about the trees! If they removed corkscrew so many trees would be unnecessarily destroyed and so much more concrete would be added. 🙄

New for 2024- Wicked Twister Plus

Skyhawk06 said:
I rode it a few times 2027/2018, and I came off that feeling more like 71 than 17.

Good to know corkscrew will still be around in 8 years ;)

2015 - Ride Host: Shoot the Rapids 2016 - Team Leader: Ripcord/Challenge Golf 2017 - Supervisor: Thunder Canyon 2018 - Supervisor: Camp Snoopy 2019 - Supervisor: Power Tower

This is great news! I was disappointed when they switched to the generic paint job. Looking forward to seeing the new paint job in person.

Last edited by Urumqi,

Tall and fast not so much upside down...

Not only am I wowed by the paint job (which is, to use one of my grandpa's expressions, slicker than snot on a doorknob), but I got a kick out of seeing the process from stripping to detailing. Even my coaster-hating husband was impressed! :P Can't wait to see them sailing over the midway this summer.

Proud 5th Liner and CP fan since 1986.

OnPointTony said:

Not only that, but the WHITE train is turning BLUE! Mind blown. The finished red and blue trains will be "inverse" color scheme versions of each other. Should look very sharp!

Blue and white. Millennium being turned into the 500 ft Aquatrax is confirmed.

You must be logged in to postArchived.

POP Forums app ©2024, POP World Media, LLC - Terms of Service