Let's Remember Disaster Transport!

Bump. Cedar Point will be remembering Disaster Transport this Fall at Halloweekends. Apparently Dave will be making a come back! (see the latest blog post)

For those of you who don't know, Dave used to monitor the queue in major effects room 1 (now it's just the painted aluminum queue walls, you can't see the actual size of the room). Originally, Dave could move his upper body and liked to talk about space travel and space pirates.

Last edited by Chuck Wagon,

-- Chuck Wagon --
aka Pagoda Gift Shop

The robot seems like it was pretty neat, wish they still had it themed that way!

Coaster H.Q: 2007-2012
@CoasterHQ

Yeah, it would be a lot better than a smelly aluminum hallway. :)

"You wanna, you gotta, you hafta hold on, Cedar Point...HOLD ON!"

I don't know how it would look now, but I remember being really impressed with DT as a kid with all the theming...

Of course, last year I saw someone taking pictures of the queue as it is now, and saying how awesome it was with all the "3-D effects"... and they were not being sarcastic.

Ripcord Crew 2002 / MF Crew 2004

I think it may have been a loop of the first 30-40 seconds of Lux Aeterna by Gyorgy Ligeti, known best from the Kubrick Sci-Fi classic, "2001: A Space Odyssey". I think it's very cool anyhow, and it reminds me of the music in the line at DT.

There is a coal power plant building just across the ohio river from Moundsville, WV where my boyfriend used to live that looks just like DT, only with a tall smokestack next to it! It's on the ohio side and sits on the water just like DT sits on the lake :)

I sooooooooooo remember those robots talking and the "I'm losing control, I'm losing control"...in my mind, I always hear that at that point! I remember waiting in line by the lake and walking up towards like Maxair.

By the way, I was just browsing through you tube and found this extremely funny Disaster transport short video made by this guy who was at the park for senior skip day or something. I can't post links on here, so just go to youtube and type in disaster transport at cedar point and scroll down to find "Nichole and Justin disaster transport senior skip day". Just thought it was funny to watch in one's spare time......:)

(from page 2) The '93 accident you are probably talking about is this. I heard a story from my friend who got permission with other employee friends to go inside DT's hill. The ride's crew told them about in the early 90's a maintenance worker hanged himself in the projector room in block one. They didn't say anything about the two cars colliding, though (if that was a different time) They said his ghost still haunts the ride. The ride crew who does trough walks and test runs on the ride said they have seen and heard creepy things. My sister used to work it and told me when she was on block one, she heard a man's voice yelling like the test car was full of riders, even thought it was empty. That's all I know. I feel bad for that maintenance guy, however.....

Reading through all of this makes me miss DT even more now. Still my all time favorite ride!

You should really get out more if DT is your all time favorite ride...

Even the Merry-Go-Round is more exciting. Not only do the horses go around in a circle but they go up and down.

The tollbooths are more exciting.

Last edited by XS NightClub,

New for 2024- Wicked Twister Plus

Maybe the greatest loss from DT was the old Showscan projector system that was just left in the top of the building when it was demolished. Film and all fell down into the scrap heap.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Showscan

https://www.in70mm.com/library/process/showscan/index.htm

I will have to look in the archives... somewhere I have the original industrial laser discs from the TV screens at DT. I wonder how salty CP would be if I transferred them to a digital format and put them up on YouTube...

Rescued from the trash by an un-named associate.

Would love to have had that old Showscan film for the archives...alas.

"Your persiflage does not amuse. " - Ralph (from Around the world in 80 days)

I’d love to see them ;)

I can tell you for sure there was no film left in the building when it went down. The projectors were still there (somewhat, whatever was not stripped and used/sold before) but all the film had already been removed from the building. Trust me I looked :) Same with the audio equipment, a bunch of EOL amps and playback devices were left but the tapes (yes tapes!) were removed way before. I think the system had been upgraded to use solid state (SD-10's if I remember) but the old media had been removed way before I started working there.

I assume most of the media was archived, but it's more likely that it was destroyed way before the rest of the building was.

The building actually had a pretty thorough walk through done before it was torn down. Anything that was considered historical or of use was removed. Everything else was in the wrecking.

Morté aka Matt, Ego sum nex
Dragon's Fire Design: http://www.dragonsfiredesign.com
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/mattdrake

I was one of several folks who attended a behind-the-scenes walk through of DT ("lights on") with Bryan Edwards 6 days before it gave its last ride. The thread caused me to reminisce and look back at that album - I figured I'd share it here so others can too... https://www.facebook.com/ken.srail/media_set?set=a.3835805288668&type=3

Hey, I heard a rumor that Top Thrill Dragster is sinking...

It just links to your FB profile and not the album.

He really wants those followers.

1999: First visit
Halloweekends- Harvest Fear, Tombstone Terror-Tory
Ride Operations- Professor Delbert’s Frontier Fling

I think it would be neat to see those pictures, as I find any behind the scenes pictures interesting

You must be logged in to post

POP Forums app ©2024, POP World Media, LLC - Terms of Service