2019 Teasing Begins...

I do not want to see the mine ride gone and if it does, we need another kind of ride like it. Cedar Point has too few coasters that are good for those who are intimidated by (I'm not one, but often go with few people who will not ride even ride Gemini and kids need these types of rides). Wildcat and Disater Transport were both good rides in that category that are gone and were not replaced with others. This is a very real need in my opinion whether ridership is quiete what they want or not.

Just for perspective, usually go up with siblings and parents still once a year. While several of us love the bigger ones, I dont think I have gotten my brother or one sister on anything added in last 10-15 years or so aside from pipescream. Meanwhile several rides used to ride are gone.

Well even Canada's Wonderland is going to have WinterFest now. Certainly means it's not the cold and snow as they get more (CP probably gets more nasty winds off the Lake). But it's most probably more so the staffing that is making the most major CF park a holdout in WinterFest.

Sacrificing playing video games to ride roller coasters.

^Staffing, as well as proximity to a large metropolitan area that can provide a large enough crowd to justify it.

380 MF laps
Smoking Area Drone Pilot

I think CCMR is gone after 2019. I don't think refurbishment or added theming would do much for Cedar Point. I am of the mind that a themed family-style coaster a la Firechaser Express would be a much bigger draw. Given the 150th, I wouldn't be surprised to see both a new family coaster and new GCI woodie in 2020. Either is a bit underwhelming on its own, but both together would be a considerable draw in my mind.

^^ Exactly. Being located in a metro with a population of under 26,000 people that many have a disdain for the park and more so the tourist season all together... Trying to extend the tourist interruption of the Sandusky winter break would likely make it difficult to staff and even less likely for locals to visit a winterfest.

New for 2024- Wicked Twister Plus

Why do so many people think 2020/150th anniversary is guaranteed to be something crazy? I mean, we may get a big addition, I'm sure the park is going to celebrate it with some cool events and such, but at the end of the day it's just another operating year for the park.

Last edited by operative_me,

-Craig
Lifetime Laps on Woodstock Express: 0

Probably because most of our lives dates and milestones are capitalized by companies. On a more human level I think most people enjoy a Happy Birthday even though every second of life could be considered just as important.

It's not an insignificant milestone for the park. Will they do something "Crazy"? Topping what they built with SV will be next to impossible. However it wasn't so long ago that MF was followed up with TTD 3 years later.

Whatever they do I think it will be special, coaster or none. Let me be very clear renovated bathrooms would work for me :)

^ Renovated Bathrooms would be the best thing I could think of to make the overall guest experience better.

Are you the Captain Matt? I remember one summer when I was in college my friends and I went to Cedar Point at least once a week and each time we rode Paddle Wheel we would insist on Captain Matt by chanting “We want Captain Matt” over and over. I think Paddle Wheel was the last ride that we rode that year on the last day of the operating season, because of the fun we had with Captain Matt. If you are that captain Matt I apologize for all that we put you through.

HeyIsntThatRob? said:
My guess is Red Garter Rob means to google the term 'VHS' because that's becoming a term you rarely hear anymore...

... unless you're Rideman ;)

Funny thing, I was going to point that out but you beat me to it.

Even I don't do VHS much these days. Good riddance.

operative_me said:
why do so many people think 2020/150th anniversary is guaranteed to be something crazy? I mean, we may get a big addition, I'm sure the park is going to celebrate it with some cool events and such, but at the end of the day it's just another operating year for the park.

I might have mentioned this earlier, but let's look to the past...
100 years: Centennial Theater, Wildcat
105 years: Cedar Point Cinema
110 years: Oceana
115 years: Avalanche Run
120 years: Soak City, Disaster Transport conversion
125 years: Summer Spectacular Midway Eyesore
130 years: Millenium Force
135 years: maXair
140 years: Shoot the Rapids II, park not sold to Apollo
145 years: Rougarou conversion

Hmmm. How about the 'Nth' seasons?
99 years: Cedar Creek Mine Ride
104 years: P-O-P only, park not sold to Marriott
109 years: Wildcat II, Wave Swinger
114 years: Cosmetic Improvements
119 years: Magnum XL-200
124 years: Raptor
129 years: Camp Snoopy, Woodstock Express
134 years: Cosmetic Improvements
139 years: Starlight Experience (Cosmetic Improvements)
144 years: Pipe Scream, Lake Erie Eagles, new Gemini midway
149 years: (refer to this forum)

--Dave Althoff, Jr.

/X\ *** Respect rides. They do not respect you. ***
/XXX\ /X\ /X\_ _ /X\__ _ _____
/XXXXX\ /XXX\ /XXXX\_ /X\ /XXXXX\ /X\ /XXXXX
_/XXXXXXX\_/XXXXX\_/XXXXXXX\_/XXX\_/XXXXXXX\__/XXX\__/XXXXXX

The thing I found interesting about those lists is the percentage of rides and attractions from the 0/5 list that are no longer with us compared to the 4/9 years. Especially if you include a few of the flats that were part of the centennial season’s Million Dollar Midway.

operative_me said:

BillO said:

Given the 150th,

Not a direct shot at this particular poster, but why do so many people think 2020/150th anniversary is guaranteed to be something crazy? I mean, we may get a big addition, I'm sure the park is going to celebrate it with some cool events and such, but at the end of the day it's just another operating year for the park.

The one thing that sticks out to me a bit (and i'm in the camp of thinking that nothing crazy is going to be built for 2020) is that a while back, earlier this year, Tony Clark had posted a picture of a meeting that I believe was captioned along the lines of "The 150th anniversary committee is already planning our greatest celebration."

"Celebration" doesn't necessarily imply a substantial cap ex addition. For all we know Tony could be implying the opposite - instead of spending a bunch of money on a shiny new thing, they're going to spend it on events, celebrations, etc.

Frankly I hope it's the latter.

Brandon

That is exactly how I look at it. The cap-ex schedule and plan will probably follow its normal course and the celebration and events will be really special. The people thinking that a 500' tall roller coaster will appear will most likely be disappointed but it will surely be a very fun summer at CP.

I'd rather be in my boat with a drink on the rocks,
than in the drink with a boat on the rocks.

I'd even go as far as saying there will never be a 500ft tall coaster at Cedar Point.

I'd even go as far as saying that there will never be a 500ft coaster anywhere, not counting polercoasters but even something like that being built is unlikely. Not only is it pushing limits to what your body can withstand, but the costs to build such a thing would be astronomical. It would be difficult to get a good ROI on something like that.

Brian
Valravn Rides: 24| Steel Vengeance Rides: 27| Dragster Rollbacks: 1

I forget which park (kings island or Kong’s dominion) was teasing bringing back something old for next year. This is interesting! Could fit along with the paddle wheels if CP follows suit

That was Kings Island who just announced they are putting in antique cars next year. Also of note is that documents were just leaked that indicate Kings Island is likely getting a B&M in 2020.

2018- Raptor

CP Top 5- 1)MF 2) Maverick 3) Gatekeeper 4) Top Thrill Dragster 5) Raptor

Doesn't the park usually kick-off the next season pass sales with the next year announcement?

https://www.cedarpoint.com/play/events/national-roller-coaster-day-weekend

This is a good deal though, got mine.

Last edited by XS NightClub,

Yep, so it's either that they are holding out on any announcement(s), or, there is simply nothing new for 2019. Not a dealbreaker as our family is all set for next season.

The funniest thing I saw today, was the butthurt coming from the KI crowd who all thought SOB was for sure returning.

You must be logged in to postArchived.

POP Forums app ©2024, POP World Media, LLC - Terms of Service