Steel Vengeance

Pics on Twitter show a (new?) policy requiring a "Boarding Pass" to enter the line, and the limited number of passes were gone for the day. Probably due to single-train operation, but I don't envy the PR headache that Tony has today.

Giant Wheel alum from a loooong time ago.

I think it’s a great idea given the one train situation. Universal Orlando did this just to enter the two Potter lands when they first opened.

Is Fastlane + being accepted on SV today?

Do you have a link to the tweet? I'm just worried about whether or not they'll get the bugs worked out of the ride.

Steel Vengeance rides: 210

I'd rather be sailing

Marina operations attendant 2021-2023

1) The boarding pass was given to people already in line when the ride broke down. With it, you can go up the exit and ride SV anytime this year (one time pass)

2) SV opened back up around 9:00 pm. They only accepted a few riders because of the single train operation. All should be back to normal from now on.

1999: First visit
Halloweekends- Harvest Fear, Tombstone Terror-Tory
Ride Operations- Professor Delbert’s Frontier Fling

Skyhawk06 said:
Do you have a link to the tweet? I'm just worried about whether or not they'll get the bugs worked out of the ride.

What makes you think that? It’s a new ride. Remember when Millennium Force opened? I think it’s safe to say that MF is the most reliable Intamin in the park (aside from Wilderness Run)

TwistedWicker77 said:

Skyhawk06 said:

What makes you think that? It’s a new ride. Remember when Millennium Force opened? I think it’s safe to say that MF is the most reliable Intamin in the park (aside from Wilderness Run)

Remember Maverick's "opening" weekend. It didn't open. Opening weekend doesn't always go as planned. An accident like this is.. not good, however minor it was.. trains should never touch. But, it'll get fixed.

Does anyone know if the new Brew Kettle Steel Vengeance beer is available?

With a ride this long you should be able to run 2 trains without one being in the station when the other returns.

Is TOWN HALL the only Place you get get them?

Did anyone who rode it notice anything different? I’m referring to the surprises that Tony announced there would be.

I'd guess the "surprises" were the custom "spiels" and TV screens per train in the station. I don't believe those were there for media day. It's a nice touch for sure. I do think they could stand to lower the volume on the music in there though. Stood in there for about two hours today waiting out some issues and there was one point when they turned it off for a minute and everyone cheered. I like that it's there, but the volume was kind of obnoxiously loud. Get off my lawn. :)

-Matt

I never got to the station. I guess the two trains bumping was a surprise, but I don’t think that’s what Tony was referring to.

I don’t think the comment about the boarding pass is correct. I do, in fact, think they are only issuing a limited number per day going forward, at least until they get the issues worked out. I was there this afternoon and evening, and at all times there was a sign posted just before the railroad crossing that guests must have a boarding pass to ride.

Aside from the SV incident, it was for sure a very rough “premiere” weekend for the park. They’d do well in the future to consider only opening the portion of the park that is “premiering” rather than the whole park. Might avoid these other issues I’ve seen complaints about all weekend.

What? Do I understand you to mean that Cedar Point should’ve only intended to have Frontiertown open to paying customers and hotel guests? If so I think that sounds like an even worse idea, for 100 reasons that should be obvious. A better solution would be to just push the calendar back a bit. That at least may solve maintenance or “ready” issues, but it wouldn’t give employees a chance to run things with real customers.

You know, it hasn’t been uncommon for parks to issue tickets or sign up times for the newest hit ride. I seem to recall Six Flags over Chicago having to do that several times, with Goliath being the most recent. The thing I hate for Cedar Point is that this SV fiasco has presented itself as an unfortunate surprise and these temporary measures can only be viewed as an attempt to back pedal. And they’re so screwed considering the fact that they’re creating unhappy customers in the process no matter what they do.

Perhaps they should at least pull the Steel Vengeance commercials off the air until everything’s a go. And a saving grace is that the weekend’s now over and whatever measures they have planned as fixes can be accomplished without the worry of having to operate at the same time.
I bet when the last customer walked through the exit tonight there was a huge collective sigh on the peninsula.

What do you mean? My wife and I are headed there tomorrow. ;)

It's our annual "opening Monday" when no one else is there.

Promoter of fog.

Not quite. There are logistical ways you could do a premiere weekend without opening the whole park. If the idea is to bring attention to a new attraction, there’s better ways to do it without sacrificing the guest experience across the ENTIRE park.

As a local pass holder I fully expected chaos this weekend and had a lot of fun playing checkers with my son in the new general store as well as cornhole. Little things like that were pretty neat to discover.

But for those who traveled a long way I’m not sure an early premiere weekend is a good idea, I do think it can be done differently if the park sees fit to do it again.

Last edited by mgou58,

I don’t see any logical reasoning to only having a set amount of people to ride SV per day. It actually sounds downright idiotic to me. If the issues aren’t fixed then don’t open the ride. It sounds to me at everything is good to go. All I know about the boarding passes is that all of the guests in line (including myself) got a sheet of paper that says immediate boarding through the exit of SV. The ONLY reason there was a set number of people to ride once it reopened on Saturday was because it was an hour before the park closed and they only had one train operating. If they had everyone storm to the ride, then they would be there all night.

Last edited by CoasterKyle1121,

I've seen pictures of the sign and boarding passes. They look like they were something that was printed up professionally, so they weren't done overnight. It looks like they were set up to do that as a backup plan in case things went haywire. Looks like they were prepared for crowd control. Or maybe that's just all a bunch of leftover stuff from the preview.

Brian
Valravn Rides: 24| Steel Vengeance Rides: 27| Dragster Rollbacks: 1

They have a print shop, they can print what they need on demand.

I'd rather be in my boat with a drink on the rocks,
than in the drink with a boat on the rocks.

RCMAC said:

You know, it hasn’t been uncommon for parks to issue tickets or sign up times for the newest hit ride. I seem to recall Six Flags over Chicago having to do that several times, with Goliath being the most recent.

On a 2016 trip, we went to Goliath at park opening and they were handing out tickets to get in line to address crowd control issues.

I know it's not a fair comparison due to the logistics at the year-round parks, but no one blinked an eye when Disney did 2-3 weeks of running 7 dwarfs with employees for training, then the soft opening days for passholders and another set for DVC members. The first day the ride was "open to the public", the crew had at least as much experience as the CP crew will have by Memorial Day.

You must be logged in to post

POP Forums app ©2024, POP World Media, LLC - Terms of Service