New "Ultimate" Lighthouse Point Sites

Not officially announced by Cedar Point yet, but my folks who camp at Cedar Point multiple times every summer got a call today from Cedar Point about "upgrading" to new campsites where Sandcastle Suites was located. No map yet or number of sites. They are expected to be completed by Mid-June. There will be a new bathroom. Fire pits at each site. BBQ grill built into brick.

They called the new sites the "Ultimate Patio Sites." The one my family switched to is an "Ultimate Patio Lake-View Back-In Site"

From the email from Cedar Point/Lighthouse Point:

Ultimate Patio Lake-View Back-In Site

• Concrete site - 70 ft long x 12 ft wide
  • Electric hook-up
  • Water hook-up
  • Sewer hook-up
  • Cable hook-up
  • Expanded Private Patio Seating Area with Dining Table and 6 Chairs
  • Built-in Charcoal Grill
  • Wood-Burning Fire Pit Surrounded by 4 Adirondack Chairs
  • 2 Person Glider Swing Offering Lake View
  • Free WiFi Access
  • Pets are welcome
  • Tent Camping is Not Permitted
  • Lighthouse Point offers shower/restroom and laundry facilities, a supply store and a swimming pool/hot tub (available May-Labor Day)
  • Requests are noted but cannot be guaranteed

Honestly, i was hoping for a new hotel to go back there.

However, this does sound like a major upgrade for the camping community. Im interested to see how this project plays out and to see the Lot when its all done.

Very cool!

argues just for clicks

I assumed they would have given any lake frontage to new cottages. Apparently they feel there are enough of those for now.

Will the rest of the former Sandcastle space likely go for "standard" sites then?

"Thank the Phoenicians!"

Seems a quick Temporary way for replacement revenues. I’d imagine their are several proposals for a new hotel, probably waiting to see how inventory sell through is balanced this year before making any final decision in the end project.

New for 2024- Wicked Twister Plus

Or, there could be space for a hotel in addition to the new RV sites, especially if the hotel is a narrower high rise style offering beautiful views of the lake.

I'd rather be in my boat with a drink on the rocks,
than in the drink with a boat on the rocks.

If this is the case it's quite surprising to me the park wouldn't have new sites available sooner. Completing camp sites is very simple and shouldn't require that long of a time frame with the site cleared already. Cabins or cottages if they decided to add more are park models and simple to instal. The only thing that would be even remotely time consuming would be building a new restroom, which in its self is simple.

Just curious the cost of the upgrade.

Wow this is huge. I’ve walked through the campground a couple times, it’s nice enough. But for what they ask for a site, there’s nothing to them. And campfires aren’t allowed. That, more than the price, has always been the dealbreaker for me. The local KOA gets a pretty penny for their “Premium Patio” sites but they are really nice so it’s worth it.

JeffH- Did your parents say what CP charged for these new sites?

ROUNDABOUND.

Shane Denmark said:

And campfires aren’t allowed. That, more than the price, has always been the dealbreaker for me.

According to JeffH's parents email there will be wood burning fire pits. Safe to assume they will be allowing campfires?

Anyone know if the pool/hot tub from SS was demolished? Hopefully they left it or at least are building a new pool/hot tub in that area. The LP one would be quite a walk from this area. I'd say if they are investing in this premium offer, this is the replacement. I know we all want a hotel, but there has been nothing in the rumor mill about a new hotel. This is what has been rumored to have been the replacement of SS for over a year now.

With the major staffing problems the park has... this is the wiser choice. With a new hotel comes the need for more cleaning/maid crew, food/beverage offerings, lifeguards, supervisor/management, more maintenance staff, etc. With campsites, little to no maintenance/cleaning is needed between guests, and the management/supervisory team can simply grow a person or two to the already existing LP team. I have always heard that LP has the best cost/profit ratio.

I'm guessing this new area will be announced at Winter Chill Out.

Last edited by Tilt-a-Whirl,

I think it’s pretty telling that it’s not opening until June that this is more of a temporary fix that was conceived of later in the planning process. These sites are easy and quick to put together and if they were planned long term they would’ve been done by opening day.

The new hotel may be a year or two out while they entertain options and design, meanwhile make some easy cash on RV sites that regularly sell out most of the season. Then when they remove the new sites for a hotel they can raise rates on the current existing sites due to ‘demand’.

Last edited by XS NightClub,

New for 2024- Wicked Twister Plus

I still think they can fit a hotel in addition to the new sites, especially if the new sites are in the old Breakwater Cafe area.

XS NightClub said:

The new hotel may be a year or two out while they entertain options and design, meanwhile make some easy cash on RV sites that regularly sell out most of the season. Then when they remove the new sites for a hotel they can raise rates on the current existing sites due to ‘demand’.

I share your desire to see a new hotel built, but where are all of you getting your information? Never has the park announced, nor has there been even rumblings that they are planning a new hotel. This is starting to sound like 500 footer speculation. I know we all want to see one built, but I just don't see it happening. This is what was planned all along, the timeframe is Mid-June because they had to demolish SS first. This isn't an after thought.

Breakers has and always will be the flagship hotel.

If Breakers does remain the flagship, that's a disappointment. It's nice, but certainly not "flagship" nice.

I'm with Pete - maybe this is going to be in addition to a future hotel.

Brandon

Shane Denmark said:

Wow this is huge. I’ve walked through the campground a couple times, it’s nice enough. But for what they ask for a site, there’s nothing to them. And campfires aren’t allowed. That, more than the price, has always been the dealbreaker for me. The local KOA gets a pretty penny for their “Premium Patio” sites but they are really nice so it’s worth it.

JeffH- Did your parents say what CP charged for these new sites?

I'm looking forward to campfires as well. Oddly enough, Breakers has had campfires for a few years now, but Lighthouse Point/Camper Village never has.

Prices:

Depending on dates: $137 average per night with taxes for non-lake-view. $150 with taxes for lake-view.

XS NightClub said:

I think it’s pretty telling that it’s not opening until June that this is more of a temporary fix that was conceived of later in the planning process. These sites are easy and quick to put together and if they were planned long term they would’ve been done by opening day.

Keep in mind that when the deluxe cabins were added in 2014 to replace Camper Village, those were not ready until a few weeks into season. I wouldn't automatically assume that this isn't a permanent installation because they're opening in June. I would imagine that the peak demand does not occur in May so not being ready until June doesn't sound like a big deal.

Gemini 100 (6/11/01)

Pure speculation, but if a new hotel is built, imagine it much closer to the lake with a slightly elevated pool deck featuring an infinity pool pointed at the lake. Beautiful!

In all honesty, I don't see a new hotel being built. Regardless of your opinions of Ouimet and Zimmermann, they were/are committed to returning the Cedar Point Beach to its former glory. This means keeping Hotel Breakers as the flagship hotel on the peninsula and filling up the remaining space with camping-like accommodations. Cedar Point (and Cedar Fair in general) has always attempted to shy away from a "corporate park" such as a Six Flags park, and instead being labeled as a beach/camping resort with a giant amusement park in the center.

TL;DR A Lighthouse Point expansion seems better for the park's future visions than a new, ground-up hotel.

Thanks JeffH for the info.

To keep the speculation open to what else will go in that area... My wife called reservations to book our site for the week after the fourth. CP Reservations said they are only offering the upgrades (at this time) to the people who have booked over the 4th of July week.

My wife inquired a little more and found out there will only be 25 sites. That still leaves room for a hotel or more cabins/cottages.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Cedar+Point/@41.4908205,-82.689037,286m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x0:0xae0d3d15735875a7!8m2!3d41.482207!4d-82.6835206

If you look at google maps and compare other sites and cabins, you will see that 25 sites is all that would fit along the beach and where Breakwater Café was.

There will probably be more traditional sites that are similar to the existing ones built where the current SS parking lot is. 25 may not sound like a lot, but if you look at the map, it takes up more lakefront space than you think. Here's an example, notice I left a portion for beach access and a pool/hot tub assuming they keep the pool or create a new one, either way, there will have to be beach access for campers in this area.

Last edited by Tilt-a-Whirl,

From what I know at this point, there will only be 25 ultimate lake and non lake view rv pads. Anything else is pure speculation.

Last edited by Amaze,

You must be logged in to post

POP Forums app ©2024, POP World Media, LLC - Terms of Service