Interesting Observation

Mark Kussro said:
From a surveyor, the symbols in the picture above represent “Traverse point #15, (where they set up equipment to stake things out).”

So the code doesn't really mean anything, other than they're looking at the area...

Thanks. I knew it looked familiar, but it's been more than a decade since I did any surveying.

Hasn't RMCs on other coasters taken more then one season? I'm starting to lean toward the obvious soak city improvement, but also the announcement and the beginning stages of RMC for mean streak.. So perspectively opening in 2018.

From what I can recall, there's only been two RMC coasters that haven't been able to be converted or built from the ground up and still open on time. 1. was Six Flags Magic Mountain with the lift hill fire (and I may be wrong, but I thought they had to push the opening back a little) and 2. the other is the well documented issues with the lift hill launch on Lightning Rod (which don't appear to completely be RMC's fault).

There's no reason that I can see why a conversion on Mean Streak would take longer than an off-season.

-Miker-

I can't imagine CP leaving the former go-kart area barren for long. It is right by the newly renovated Breakers and also the only entrance point to the park that hasn't been refreshed. Based upon that my best guess is the go kart area is where next seasons development will go.

I really do think something will change in regard to MS very soon, however with the already mentioned former go kart area, and the removal of STR I'd think MS will be further out than the other 2 areas. However, the fact that they didn't care enough to have it open last weekend, and left it down many times last year does have me questioning this.

With the amount of money CF has invested at CP these last several seasons I can't see 3 major projects taking place in the next 2 seasons.

I suspect whatever becomes of the former go kart area, it will involve a remodel of the resort gate entrance to CP.

From what (admittedly little) research I did, RMC conversions aren't the biggest wallet eaters out there. New Texas Giant's conversion cost around $10 million. Much cheaper than building a coaster from the ground up.

-Miker-

On Sunday, there were 5 ride mechanics working on Mean Streak's trains and sending them through an occasional test run. I only saw 2 trains, not sure where the 3rd one is but its not been put in the station yet.

Steve Shives
First Cedar Point Visit - 1972
Dockholder-Cedar Point Marina

I'm curious to know what order Cedar Point will work on it's next projects. Probably the Soak City expansion and new entrance in 2017, family coaster on the Shoot the Rapids site in 2018, and then Mean Streak conversion in 2019 or 2020? I don't know if I could wait that long.

I still think Tony Clark goes and spray paints stuff in the park just to get a rise out of folks like this. :)

When I asked why Mean Streak wasn't running (because I'm curious), they said the ride is "the lowest of our priorities." Interesting...

CP Top 5: 1) Steel Vengeance 2) Maverick 3) Magnum 4) Raptor 5) Millennium

I saw Mean Streak Henry on Sunday and he said they were getting new trains for it and they are retouching some of the track.

Brian
Valravn Rides: 24| Steel Vengeance Rides: 27| Dragster Rollbacks: 1

New trains for Mean Streak? Hopefully they have full off road shocks and suspension.

Would Blue Streak be getting new trains then as well? If I recall they are the exact same kind as MS

I think a Mean Streak RMC conversion would be tough to market. The ride is already in a section of the park that is isolated from the rest. Plus, most people know Mean Streak as being very "mean" and I think having the same structure would be tough to sell guests on a new experience.

Enjoy the rest of your day at America's Rockin' Roller Coast! Ride On!

I think it would have the exact opposite effect. Creating a new name, telling people that this is completely modified and a much smoother experience, would draw people in.

And look at Maverick. It's pretty isolated itself and it still draws a crowd. Imagine a completely new ride experience on a 162 ft coaster that will have a ton of speed and airtime. I think the marketers would have a field day with the new Mean Streak (or whatever they want to call it).

Well said, Sparty. When RMC is done with Mean Streak, it won't even resemble Mean Streak anymore. Red steel track, numerous inversions, airtime hills, and a modified layout will make it look like a brand new coaster. Rebrand it with a new name (like Iron Streak) and the public would see it as a completely different ride.

Can I just say, I am SO pumped for this conversion and really hope it actually happens!

Last edited by Theme Park Press,

I rode my first two RMC coasters this past weekend on a trip to Texas to visit my brother. HOLY HELL! A short drive to Six Flags Fiesta Texas and Iron Rattler was just insane and felt like a taller faster version of Maverick. That drop with the slight twist was probably one of the best drops on any coaster I have been on. It was insane. I flew into Austin (great town BTW) and drove to Dallas for a trip to Six Flags Over Texas and New Texas Giant was awesome as well but Iron Rattler is where its at in my book! I cant believe how awesome these conversions are after seeing just pictures after all these years. I really hope that Meant Streak gets the overhaul.

Last edited by clevelander,

Theme Park Press said:

Well said, Sparty. When RMC is done with Mean Streak, it won't even resemble Mean Streak anymore. Red steel track, numerous inversions, airtime hills, and a modified layout will make it look like a brand new coaster. Rebrand it with a new name (like Iron Streak) and the public would see it as a completely different ride.

I'm still not sure how "not ready for preview weekend" translates into this.

I also don't think Mean Streak is getting new trains. In today's social media world, surely Tony would have mentioned this during all of the offseason updates, tours, etc.

Cartwright said:

Theme Park Press said:

When RMC is done with Mean Streak, it won't even resemble Mean Streak anymore. Red steel track, numerous inversions, airtime hills, and a modified layout will make it look like a brand new coaster. Rebrand it with a new name (like Iron Streak) and the public would see it as a completely different ride.

I'm still not sure how "not ready for preview weekend" translates into this.

Did I say anything about "not ready for preview weekend"? *confused*

I so hope RMC is not on the table for anything except a completely new ride. The conversions look like the rollercoaster equivalent of putting a body kit and huge wing on a Honda Civic.

You must be logged in to post

POP Forums app ©2024, POP World Media, LLC - Terms of Service