Valravn Goes Vertical--Construction Starts

You are incorrect sir. They are indeed called a funicular as stated by the manufacturer and by Cedar Point officials themselves.

They also call Pipe Scream a roller coaster.

CoasterFreak94 said:
You are incorrect sir. They are indeed called a funicular as stated by the manufacturer and by Cedar Point officials themselves.

Actually, I'm afraid Jeff's correct on this. A funicular, by definition, is two cars, counterbalancing one another as one ascends and the other descends. An inclined lift (or inclined elevator) has a single car that ascends/descends by a mechanism, such as a winch. In the case of millennium and valravn, it doesn't matter what the park calls them, they are by definition inclined lifts.

Last edited by CPGuru,

Now all the fun has been taking out of calling it what I thought it was. Now it's just an "icular". :P

-Adam G- The OG Dragster nut

Jeff- taking the FUN back out of funicular...

ROUNDABOUND.

It's interesting to me that they've chosen solid fencing for the low zones. I wonder if this will be the new normal going forward, given previous incidents of guests retrieving items from low zones. After all, if you can't see that your phone is "just over that fence", you're less likely to jump said fence.

Brandon

The wooden fencing is only going where Valraven and the park are partitioned off from non-park areas, which is moving slightly inwards from perimeter road. The rest of the low lying areas will still have regular fencing, with a few additions like spikes and barbed wire. ;)

Last edited by CPGuru,

Are you basing that on observation or insider information? If it's the former, keep in mind that some of the fencing in place now is temporary.

Brandon

It doesn't really matter what it's based on. This close to opening day...why would CP pour concrete for temporary fences in the low areas if they were just going to replace them. It looks like there will still be additional walls to help with containment, but the current low area fences will more than likely remain for the season thus making them permanent and not temporary.

Last edited by CoasterHero,

CoasterHero said:

It doesn't really matter what it's based on.

...the current low area fences will more than likely remain for the season thus making them permanent and not temporary.

"More than likely remain"? "Thus making them permanent"? That seems vague.

I'm a Marxist, of the Groucho sort.

CoasterHero said:

...why would CP pour concrete for temporary fences in the low areas if they were just going to replace them.

Did they pour concrete for those temporary fences? Sure look like sandbags to me.

Brandon

That's what they are indeed. Sandbags supporting temporary chain link fence panels.

Vague is my middle name. Stirring up the conversation pot is my game ;)

CoasterFreak94 said:

No, I'm very much correct. Look it up. People and corporations don't get to alter the English language to suit their purposes. That right is reserved for politicians.

Jeff - Advocate of Great Great Tunnels™ - Co-Publisher - PointBuzz - CoasterBuzz - Blog - Music

If Cedar Point follows B&M's recommendations for operating temperatures, we more than likely won't see full circuit test run until sometime next week.

^ It's not up to Cedar Point anyway. The ride manufacturer handles the initial testing, so unless B&M goes against their own guidelines, the ride will not test if the temperature is too low (40 degrees for most B&Ms).

funicular |fyo͞oˈnikyələr|
adjective
1 (of a railroad, especially one on a mountainside) operating by cable with ascending and descending cars counterbalanced.

Last edited by Pete,

I'd rather be in my boat with a drink on the rocks,
than in the drink with a boat on the rocks.

That does sounds fun. It's a ski lift.

1999: First visit
Halloweekends- Harvest Fear, Tombstone Terror-Tory
Ride Operations- Professor Delbert’s Frontier Fling

Looks like they've poured or are in the process of pouring the queue

Last edited by CoasterGuy15,

Anyone confused about a funicular, go to pittsburgh and ride one of their two existing inclined-rails.

Edited to add: no, a ski lift is not. A funicular is not a full circuit.

Last edited by Augustmueller,

You must be logged in to postArchived.

POP Forums app ©2024, POP World Media, LLC - Terms of Service