Shoot the Rapids?

It's a lot warmer in Cincinnati earlier than it is in Sandusky, I am sure that is the reason.

Cedar Point guest since 1974

And Kings Island isn't next to a lake that can make the temps 15-20 degrees cooler than it is just a few miles inland.

Brian
Valravn Rides: 24| Steel Vengeance Rides: 27| Dragster Rollbacks: 1

Mystical Matthew said:

I was at King's Island on opening day. I ran into Shawn Meyer! :) Super, super dude. :)

Thank you Matthew! :)

45Wheelgun said:

It's a lot warmer in Cincinnati earlier than it is in Sandusky, I am sure that is the reason.

While it's true that Cincinnati is generally a bit warmer than mainland Sandusky, the weather on KI's opening day (Apr 24: 69F) averages about the same temp as CP's opening day (May 9: 70F). So, it's not so much that Cincinnati is warmer, but to Thabto's point, the park being on a peninsula probably has more to do with the later opening at CP.

Brandon

If I remember correctly, White Water Landing (and Mill Race and the original Shoot the Rapids for that matter) always operated from opening day. The current Shoot the Rapids is in a similar groove, but hell, it can't be relied upon to operate consistently in the dead of the summer, right?

At many parks, raft rides like Thunder Canyon don't always open for the season with the park (Kings Island's included) and my guess is it has to do with staffing as much as weather. They can take their time getting the ride ready and concentrate on rides that provide a less soaking experience, and use ride ops elsewhere in the meantime. Plus, it's likely guests aren't that disappointed given that the weather can be iffy. And I've seen years where, to my surprise, Snake River Falls opened earlier in the season than I what I would consider comfortable riding weather.

I'll be interested to hear from our samosuband to see how much time he actually spends at STR, especially in the spring.

You remember correctly, the old water rides were always open on opening day. Even Snake River Falls was open on opening day when it was new. I'm surprised Shoot the Rapids is not open on opening day since they can adjust the water elements to make it dryer. Or, maybe it will be open?

Last edited by Pete,

I'd rather be in my boat with a drink on the rocks,
than in the drink with a boat on the rocks.

I know that adjusting the wetness factor was advertised as a feature of the ride before it opened, but I don't think I've ever seen them do anything aside from turn off the waterfalls and such. Can they adjust the water level so that it doesn't dump a boat load of water on your shoes?

Brandon

XS NightClub said:

Sink?
On a boat that basically can't float and rides on wheels for the most part?

It's a dream. Calm down.

Pete said:

I'm surprised Shoot the Rapids is not open on opening day since they can adjust the water elements to make it dryer. Or, maybe it will be open?

Memorial Day Weekend

Last edited by samosuband,

2015 - Ride Host: Shoot the Rapids 2016 - Team Leader: Ripcord/Challenge Golf 2017 - Supervisor: Thunder Canyon 2018 - Supervisor: Camp Snoopy 2019 - Supervisor: Power Tower

Does anybody know what other changes were made to the ride? Specifically safety changes?

So...Anyone on here seen any activity going on with Shoot the Rapids? Such as Testing?

^

What changes would you be talking about? I've never heard of any changes being made to the ride itself.

Promoter of fog.

Well I meant activity as in getting Shoot the Rapids ready for the season.

Sorry, that was meant for the question above asking about changes.

Promoter of fog.

Next weekend is Memorial Day weekend so I'm sure they will be testing this week to open up next weekend.

Do they have the Yellow Boat ready? ;)

This Isn't A Hospital--It's An Insane Asylum!

^ Nope just the red and blue boats : (

The green boat sank.

I'd rather be in my boat with a drink on the rocks,
than in the drink with a boat on the rocks.

I thought it missed a curve and landed on the island

This Isn't A Hospital--It's An Insane Asylum!

After riding the train today, I saw that STR was very dirty, with no water, and did not see any boats around.

2016 Visits: 57
2017- Guest Services Ambassador Intern
2018- Hotel Breakers Front Office Supervisor
2019- Hotel Breakers Front Office & Housekeeping Supervisor

You must be logged in to post

POP Forums app ©2024, POP World Media, LLC - Terms of Service