Sweet Spot to be added

http://cpfoodblog.com/kings-island-cedar-point-experimental-sweet-spot/

Brian,Favorite flat: MaxAirFavorite coaster: Millennium Force

Im guessing we will find out tomorrow.

Better not mess with a Toot Sweets!

1999: First visit
Halloweekends- Harvest Fear, Tombstone Terror-Tory
Ride Operations- Professor Delbert’s Frontier Fling

They used to have taffy making machines in plain view of the customers, the machines always attracted spectators who usually also bought some taffy.

I'd rather be in my boat with a drink on the rocks,
than in the drink with a boat on the rocks.

If they make fresh Savannah, GA pralines in the shop I will be very happy.

^^I remember at Kings Island being fascinated by a taffy machine, probably nearing 10 years now

2015 - Ride Host: Shoot the Rapids 2016 - Team Leader: Ripcord/Challenge Golf 2017 - Supervisor: Thunder Canyon 2018 - Supervisor: Camp Snoopy 2019 - Supervisor: Power Tower

Sweet Spot at Cedar Point will be located next to the Pagoda Gift Shop. They are renovating the old recording studio that hasn't been used for anything but stoage for years. Not sure if that means any changes will be happening to any of the other existing candy shops.

-- Chuck Wagon --
aka Pagoda Gift Shop

I think this is an excellent idea, and it'll definitely spur sales. I remember Hershey putting on quite a show at night, making their kettle corn. I was like a fly attracted to light and purchased my first bag ever. It was one of the longest lines I'd ever seen for a concession stand, and it stayed open long after park close. I would have never purchased that bag if I hadn't seen and smelled it being made.

The place looks really cute and is a good use of the abandoned space. There's nothing like the draw of confections being made on premises, places like Disney and Silver Dollar City have been doing it for years.

Upon hearing this announcement I would've bet my last dollar that they were planning to reconstruct (and probably expand) Sweets and Treats up by the front gate. The stands around there close later and it would be the perfect place to temp guests into grabbing a treat to go as they exit the park. Or as they enter for that matter.

But this location will be fine, maybe even better for mid-day traffic. And if the concept works, which it will, there's no reason why two or more locations couldn't be included eventually.

Going back to a previous discussion, this is exactly the kind of family attraction that the CP of my youth would have built but was lacking during the previous decade or two. From what I get from the description, this will be a cool place that all age groups will find interesting beyond just the aspect of buying candy. It's something you can't find at the local mall, it's actually a non-ride amusement that serves a double duty of selling candy.

I'd rather be in my boat with a drink on the rocks,
than in the drink with a boat on the rocks.

I'm curious as to know what they might do with the Fudge shop up front now that Sweet Spot will be a Football field away from it. Besides that, I'll be stopping there at the end of the day to pick up some FUDGE! :)

I saw a picture of the one at Kings Island and it looked nice. I'll be indulging there.

Brian
Valravn Rides: 24| Steel Vengeance Rides: 27| Dragster Rollbacks: 1

I walked through the Sweet Spot at KI this weekend. It is a very nice shop. They don't make that much there though, white chocolate dipped marshmallows shaped like snoopy, different types of candy apples were the big things being touted Friday and Saturday. Sadly no Salt Water Taffy being made on site.

There is a huge selection of over sized candies and cool wrappers like an Nintendo controllers, PacMan and others. The big draw is the bulk candy. Fill a bag and be charged by the 1/4 #. Choose from all the Jelly Belly flavors you can name, Nerds, Gummies, Sours, and the list goes on. The one at KI takes up half of one side of the shops on International St.

Worth a stop in to check out.

If the Kings Island Sweet Spot is any indication the Cedar Point location should be a solid addition. I particularly like that they are doing more fun character-specific stuff with the offerings, especially stuff like a candy apple shaped like Charlie Brown's head. Not that Cedar Point has been shy about showcasing food in the past but the Sweet Spot will help really make the candies, chocolates, etc. seem like something special and exactly the kind of stuff guests should enjoy when visiting an amusement park.

"Thank the Phoenicians!"

They are making up the first batch of fudge now.

https://twitter.com/TonyClarkCP/status/590275209342689280

Brian
Valravn Rides: 24| Steel Vengeance Rides: 27| Dragster Rollbacks: 1

RCMAC, remember Coffelt's on the main midway and the candy factory on the Trail? The midway location had multiple taffy pulling machines in the front windows along with the wrapping machines. Then they made fresh fudge and hard candies (including hand made all day suckers) at the Frontier Trail shop. Those places were always busy

Thabto said:

They are making up the first batch of fudge now.

https://twitter.com/TonyClarkCP/status/590275209342689280

Oh! I bet there are a few posters on here that would love to help pack that fudge.

~Rob

That's just hilarious.

Anyway...yes, Dutchman, I remember it well. Those taffy machines are hypnotizing, and I'm sure seeing it made led to sales. Coffelt's also had a similar stand for years at the State Fair. The candy company is still in business in Springfield, Oh, but they stopped supplying taffy to CP. I'll have to check, but I think KI still serves Coffelt's taffy, but once again, it's shipped in.

My favorite food memory from back then was Aunt Em's on the trail, where Panda is now. The had homemade pies with seasonal favors. I love early season when we could stop in for big ole slices of fresh strawberry pie with lots of whipped cream.

I remember on one of my first few trips to KI, when I was around 8 years old seeing a taffy pulling machine near the front gate, either in a storefront window or on a cart, I can't remember. All I remember is staring at it in awe for a few minutes

2015 - Ride Host: Shoot the Rapids 2016 - Team Leader: Ripcord/Challenge Golf 2017 - Supervisor: Thunder Canyon 2018 - Supervisor: Camp Snoopy 2019 - Supervisor: Power Tower

I don't really like taffy, and yet - put that machine in front of me and I'll watch it longer then I should and end up buying taffy that I will never eat...

Cedar Point guest since 1974

You must be logged in to postArchived.

POP Forums app ©2024, POP World Media, LLC - Terms of Service