Rides that might be removed in the next few years

coasterJay said:
I'm thinking that they will let Mean Streak hit its 25th Anniversary then tear it down.

I don't think Cedar Fair makes those kinds of decisions based on sentiment, such as "letting" a ride hit an anniversary.

If Mean Streak continues to meet whatever metrics the company uses to measure attraction performance, and the company doesn't need the land for a new attraction or improved infrastructure, Mean Streak will stay where it is.

kylepark said:
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_cVF2LlOx6Zc/R2mgFGzJoTI/AAAAAAAACls/2DmRO...verArt.jpg

That looks sweet.

Arms Down, Head Back, and Hold On!...Arms Down!...Arms Down......

If you consider what rides have been removed in recent years, the trend seems to be a combination of the maintenance costs increasing and the desire to re-use the land they sit on (Wildcat, Disaster Transport, Space Spiral). It's possible those rides would still be in operation today if not for expansion in their areas.

Contrast that to rides like Schwabinchen, Demon Drop, and Chaos which were just removed without any significant construction in their place. You also have rides like Ocean Motion and Troika (and Giant Wheel and Calypso if you go even further back) which were relocated despite being older rides.

All of that to say I'm not sure I would consider Mean Streak's location "prime real estate", which means it could be much longer before it is replaced if the park chooses to upgrade other areas.

-- Chuck Wagon --
aka Pagoda Gift Shop

I can remember when Chaos was across the midway from Magnum. They didn't tear it down they just moved it to another part of the park. Of course it's gone now. Calypso was also a better looking ride before they moved it to it's current location. It's been along while since I rode Calypso.

I'd want to encourage the park to maintain it's rides as long as possible and build in areas that are open. Or take out old infastructure to create room while replacing the old infastructure in a more reasonable location. There is plenty of room on the point for expansion without having to take out a ride at this point. I could see Kiddie Kingdom leaving pretty soon but that's about all I see them removing. I couldn't even image them moving Challenge Park into the park. To expensive to move these rides when they could just fill in a lagoon or build over one like Mantis is. When we finally do get a new coaster in a few years it most likely will be bye bye dinosaurs. I don't see it happening until Carowinds is finished with their major overhaul. 2018 Millenium will get some company on the island. And the park keeps all its rides!

redsfan said:
When we finally do get a new coaster in a few years it most likely will be bye bye dinosaurs. I don't see it happening until Carowinds is finished with their major overhaul. 2018 Millenium will get some company on the island.

I don't see how that can happen, considering the island is pretty much dominated by Millie and Shoot the Rapids.

Mantis was built over the top of a lagoon. They can drain them to pour footers. At one time the paddlewheel excursion traveled through the site that is currently Mantis. There are alot of paddlewheel that is sitting open for expansion. Wouldn't require tearing down rides.

Since we won't know anything till Xmas it's ovbious that we're not getting anything huge.

Did Cedar Point make an announcement that information on 2015 improvements will be released during the Christmas season? Am I missing something that was announced?

I'd rather be in my boat with a drink on the rocks,
than in the drink with a boat on the rocks.

There's been no announcement, Pete.

Brandon

Well at least its getting closer, yesterday the announcement was Jan. 1st and today it is Christmas, by the end of the week we should be at Thanksgiving.

You forgot to mention Black Friday.

Arms Down, Head Back, and Hold On!...Arms Down!...Arms Down......

What announcement? CP is going to try something new. There will be no announcement about a new attraction for 2015. It will just "appear" on opening day. This is one way to spur interest and drive all of you crazy!

In most years I can remember when CP has gotten improvements that don't take 9 months or more to install an announcement didn't come until updates are made to their webpage at the new year. I said Christmas. If they haven't created a construction zone already they aren't going to. Until spring. Whatever the park is getting will go up real quick or be indoor work.

We know the hotel is getting alot of TLC. I am excited about staying at Breakers next year. I haven't been up there yet this year to see the outside improvements. The birds have had their way with the Hotels. I bet they've made it pretty again. At least for awhile.

I wouldn't be surprised if CP made an anouncement in the summer/fall of 2015 or maybe 2016. But not this year.

Now that Rougarou has debuted and everyone that I have talked to is happy about the Improved ride experience, what other rides could be Improved or better yet just removed? I rode Corkscrew for the first time in a long time yesterday, and I can see why not too many people ride this. It just bumps you around all over and makes you feel like a Pinball. I like the History of Corkscrew and all, but is there any company out there that still makes looping roller coasters like Corkscrew? I think it would be cool to see a new and improved version over the midway.

The biggest issue with corkscrew is that it does not accommodate people with long torsos (and I'm talking normal taller people around 6'2") very well at all. It leaves those tall people in a curved spine situation that makes a bumpy ride extra rough. That said, I don't think Corkscrew should be removed at all, but it would be nice to see some new trains, restraints, etc.

The rational part of my mind understands that no ride or building is "safe"; any ride or building can be removed to make way for new attractions.

The sentimental part of my mind loves the iconic view of the Corkscrew's corkscrews passing over the heads of people on the Midway and doesn't want it removed.

I'm a Marxist, of the Groucho sort.

The footprint of Corkscrew is almost non-existent, especially now that land around the ride layout is part of the new entrance road to Breakers. I cannot see space availability leading to the removal of corkscrew. As long as maintenance and parts aren't prohibitively expensive I am not sure what CP would gain by removing Corkscrew.

Noggin^^^ That is the only reason I don't want it to go. I never ride it anymore, but it was my first looping coaster. I'm not very attached to it though. They would have to come up with something as visually pleasing or better than Corkscrew going over the midway for me to want it replaced however. Plus I'm not sure what would fit in that small sliver of land.

Last edited by CoasterCam,

All I'm saying mostly is If it ever was removed, replace it with another looping roller coaster that's more up to date. That way It can still travel over the midway!

How about an S&S 4D? It would fit there and make some great visuals flipping over the midway.

You must be logged in to post

POP Forums app ©2024, POP World Media, LLC - Terms of Service