COUGH...Cough...couch...

Took the family to CP this past weekend (Oct. 4-6) for Halloweekend -- had a great time even though had some big rain on Saturday. It was my wife, 9-year old daughter, her friend, and myself.

I was a bit shocked especially after dusk, with the amount of people smoking cigarettes... it wasn't just an isolated incident... a very large amount as we walked around the park. Even my daughter asked me why all these people are smoking since she thought it was pretty much a non-smoking park.

I'm not posting this to start a smoking debate, but it certainly was enough to warrant some head spinning on our part. A few times I even saw security walk right past the smokers (not in any of the smoking areas either). The only think I could chalk it up to was that this late in the season the employees have pretty much given up on enforcing some of the rules and just want the season to end.

We are season pass holders and have been to the Point a bunch this summer and I haven't seen or smelled the cigs during the regular season.

Oh well, just an observation.

Last edited by Pogues,

I have dealt with that myself and your right. It seems like the rules aren't as enforced as much as during the regular season. I've even noticed while waiting in line for Gatekeeper that people were smoking in line. That upset me to the point where I actually said something to the line attendant. I shouldn't have to put up with that while I'm waiting in line, but I guess you'll have the people that just don't care and will light one up anyway.

I was there Saturday and noticed that to. It really was starting to get out of hand.

Yes, this is has been a on going issue it seems it needs a better enforcement with all employees.

I am a smoker and I do respect the smoker areas. But what kills me is when the parents that have their kids with them or holding them in their lap puffing away. When I see that I will move as far away from any kid.

Also I am not afraid of telling anyone to put out their cig when I see them puffing away, also will let them know I am a smoker also.

Last edited by KHTOExtreme,

I'm confused. What does this have to do with couches?

There has been much smoking this year and it's increased as the year has gone on. Saturday was a joke. Smokers were everywhere. I first noticed a number of smokers just inside the front gate. The area between Midway Market and Raptor was just loaded with smokers as was the area near the Magnum restrooms just to mention a few places.

I mentioned the increase in smokers to Park Operations a couple of months ago. The told me employees and police are always on the lookout and are supposed to tell smokers to go to a smoking area or put out the cigarette. Since then I haven't any employee say anything to any smoker even when it was obvious the employee saw them. Before that time I saw very few.

Of course I notice the amount of smokers shirking the rules going up the more crowded it is. I guess that's a statement of the obvious. Smokers and line jumpers....what to do?

e x i t english said:
I'm confused. What does this have to do with couches?

I was waiting for someone to notice my typo... LOL.

darkrider68 said:
Of course I notice the amount of smokers shirking the rules going up the more crowded it is. I guess that's a statement of the obvious. Smokers and line jumpers....what to do?

Maybe CP came make money off the smokers... We already have Fast Pass for the line jumpers... one can pay more and get to the front of the line.

Why not have a Fast Smoke option... pay more and get to smoke where ever you want.

Pogues said:
Maybe CP came make money off the smokers... We already have Fast Pass for the line jumpers... one can pay more and get to the front of the line.

Why not have a Fast Smoke option... pay more and get to smoke where ever you want.

There is a VIP pass that will get you in front of the line.

I don't like the idea of smoking anywhere. There are people with asthma and smoke can cause breathing problems for them. I think they could make money off smokers by fining them.

Pogues said:

I was waiting for someone to notice my typo... LOL.

I'm not gonna lie, it's a pretty funny typo. :)

Surely you contacted the park to file a complaint, right?

Brandon

dj, I'm certain that Pogues did, but did you have to call him Shirley?

Waka waka!

~Rob

HeyIsntThatRob? said:
dj, I'm certain that Pogues did, but did you have to call him Shirley?

Waka waka!

~Rob

I was gonna say that as well... LOL...

I actually did report the smoking issues I encountered by email when I got home -- no response yet.

I was gonna report at the park, but I got thrown out for smoking a Big Ole Cigar while I was eating my dinner inside Johnny Rockets -- nothing like a Stinky Cigar to help with the digestion... I kidd, I kidd...

I have noticed more smokers in the park and in our line for our house. When I see it I try to ask them to stop but I cant catch everyone.

Fast Lane Rant in

Why do people get so butt hurt over Fast lane. It makes tons of sense. People from around the world go to cedar point. Most people don't have season passes. They have one trip, sometimes for their whole lives. If I traveled a crossed the country or globe to a park I would want to ride everything the park had to offer. Next year some of my friends from North Carolina are going to make the trip up to CP and we probably will chip in extra money to get the FL so they can leave saying they got on everything. I think the system needs some working on but with some fine toning it will get better. I was in line for Maverick and a family walked past me in the FL. No big deal to me. But this man booed at the family as they walked past. Booed in the face of a little girl!!
Whatever... Rant over.

The Crystal Method is the only way to find The Winner!

I have no problem with Fast Lane. It's here to stay and I would MUCH rather see people use that than blatantly line jump. If they want to spend the money--have at it. I wouldn't totally rule out using it at a park I would only be visiting once either. No need for it at CP since I live so close and can go frequently.

I could "rant" about how disrespectful and filthy some smokers are as well here...but what's the point. Was on a charter boat the other day and a bunch of smokers around me just chucked their cigarette butts in the water giving no thought of littering in our lake. Don't know how to stop people like that. Say something and you risk an altercation, but even if it works out....there will be someone else doing it in his/her place soon as you you turn around. A never ending battle.

Thats a sucks man. I hate seeing people litter like that. I think the difference at Cedar Point is that its a rule that should be enforced more, but like you said some people are going to not care no mater what you do. Ive seen employees getting yelled at just because they are doing their job to ask people not to smoke.

The Crystal Method is the only way to find The Winner!

Yea, thanks....it was the only downside to a fantastic fishing trip.

I think the only way to handle that at CP would have a well trained security staff enforce it. I don't think ride ops and the other rank and file are equiped to handle situations like that since, yes, people can get bent out of shape and need to be dealt with in a professional manner.

See, it's not really a rule when it's not enforced, or only selectively enforced. Kinda like the "no RV parking in the soak city lot rule". It is seldom enforced, but when it is, it happens to be the day I want to park my RV there.

I've addressed a lot of things with management and have to say, although I've had some responses, overall their efforts to take care of obvious problems leaves a lot to be desired. Such is the case with this smoking "rule".

I have noticed more smoking during HalloWeekends than the rest of this season. The parking lot isn't looking any better at the end of the night either.

You must be logged in to post

POP Forums app ©2024, POP World Media, LLC - Terms of Service