Rides that might be removed in the next few years

^http://pointbuzz.com/Forums/Thread/28659.aspx

And just imagine how much land the park could work with if Corkscrew, Gold dorms, and the other various buildings in this area are removed. I could especially see this happening with the new maintenance building the park recently acquired. This would allow them to remove the existing maintenance building to make room for future additions.

Last edited by Ride On_17,

thrillsawait.weebly.com
Top 5 CP Coasters: 1. Steel Vengeance 2. Millennium Force 3. Maverick 4. Dragster 5. Magnum
Coaster Count: 102

The Gold Dorms are next to the Breakers East parking lot.

I'd rather be in my boat with a drink on the rocks,
than in the drink with a boat on the rocks.

I remember back in '76 my brothers less than impressed with Corkscrew being so short and basically not worth the long wait. However, I agree with others that the aesthetic of the track and lights over the midway is really impressive and I'd hate to see that go away.

I think the ride they need to really think long and hard over, and I know countless others have said the same, is Mean Streak. It's a beautiful structure, but at least Corkscrew's few knocks (which I might be able to brace for) is not a painful vibration the entire duration of a much longer ride and that takes up a much larger space.

I'm curious if anyone knows about the ride statistics on Mean Streak, in comparison to Gemini, Corkscrew, Mine Ride, Blue Streak.

Upside-down Fun House
Kris

What is the building in between Gold Dorms and Corkscrew?

Nick

^Maint sheds

Corkscrew, Power Tower, Magnum, & Monster/ Witches Wheel Crew 2011

Just thought I'd bring this up about Mean Streak. I'm not sure if it says anything about security of the ride in years to come or not.

Last edited by samosuband,

I doubt it because I'm sure they have to go through that every so many years.

Enjoy the rest of your day at America's Rockin' Roller Coast! Ride On!

Gravity said:
If they're removing Gold dorms, then something big could easily fill in there and where Corkscrew currently resides.

Not unless they tear down the buildings between the dorms and Coekscrew

Ride On_17 said:
I believe Ouimet stated he plans on looking at the coasters at each park and trying to weed out at least 1 that no longer is needed/wanted.

When/where did he say this? Besides, he's already removed 2 (Wildcat & Disaster Transport).

BTW, what constitutes "needed?" Are any "big" coasters other than Raptor, Millie, Maggie, Maverick & Gatekeeper "needed?"

This Isn't A Hospital--It's An Insane Asylum!

Rides that might be removed in the next few years:

Cadillac Cars (we will still have the Antiques in Frontiertown)
Turnpike Cars (I still enjoy them but ridership is low and theres a TON of prime real estate there for future development.

Buildings that might be removed in the next few years:
Cedars Dorms (originated before the Breakers in 1905!) Outdated
Good Time Theatre (the ice skating shows are getting old and this
building is a shell of what is was originally intended for).

On the point of Corkscrew, Gold Dorms. Wait times and ridership are still good for Corkscrew (45+min in the summer) and those dorms are still being used and not as old.

^^ I swear I read somewhere in which Ouimet said he planned on looking at each park's needs and possibly eliminating rides that could be replaced by better things.

thrillsawait.weebly.com
Top 5 CP Coasters: 1. Steel Vengeance 2. Millennium Force 3. Maverick 4. Dragster 5. Magnum

Was it an amusement park tabloid site named Screamscape?

CPfan1976 said:
Rides that might be removed in the next few years:

Cadillac Cars (we will still have the Antiques in Frontiertown)

NO! We can remove Turnpike cars, but not Cadillac cars. To me, I think Cedar Point would prefer to have the gentle rides on both sides of the park. I'm sure in the future they could make room just by taking out turnpike cars out.

Last edited by Shawn Meyer,

^Hey, I'm with you. I enjoy them but....if another coaster/ride/attraction is
needed to liven up the Blue Streak midway in the future (which is sorely needed), I seriously feel as these will all see the chopping block. I wish some of the younger folks on here could have seen what the Blue Streak midway used to be like with the Pirate Ride and Super Jets there. It wasn't a dead zone like it is now.
You just made me wonder something else by your post. I never gave a thought to which cars (Antiques or Cadillacs ) I prefer riding on. I wonder about others on here? I know the Cadillacs are about 10 years older, thus that reason and the real estate location for seeing them being removed in the next few years, this is just my opinion. We'll have to wait and see what the next 2 years projects bring I guess....

^ I know peopl that barely know turnpike cars and calypso exist...

Captain Hawkeye said:

Gravity said:
If they're removing Gold dorms, then something big could easily fill in there and where Corkscrew currently resides.

Not unless they tear down the buildings between the dorms and Coekscrew

...and you don't think that's extremely plausible now that they have that huge off-site maintenance facility?

2003 - Wicked Twister
2004 - Wicked Twister/Top Thrill Dragster

Corkscrew is a ride that I wished I liked more. But the harnesses are not shaped to my shoulders and you sit way too low in the seats. It hurts my back and neck when riding through the inversions, and makes me stiffen up my body just to brace myself. I also always hit my jaw in the corkscrews. When I ride rides, I want to be relaxed, not holding all my muscles in place like a crash test dummy.

Gravity said:
...and you don't think that's extremely plausible now that they have that huge off-site maintenance facility?

Not sure how many maintenance sheds/buildings they have on-site, but it's still good to have at least some maintenance stuff on site otherwise it's going to take a lot longer to get rides fixed when you have to leave the park to get the spare parts.

Ride On_17 said:
^^ I swear I read somewhere in which Ouimet said he planned on looking at each park's needs and possibly eliminating rides that could be replaced by better things.

This is status quo for all parks. Eventually, the cost to operate an attraction becomes too high when taking into account that attraction's popularity (though there are other factors), and that ride is removed. There are exceptions, of course, but that Ouimet said as much is not news-worthy.

Brandon

^And I completely understand that. I was just under the impression that unlike how it seemed under Kinzel, Ouimet is actually attempting to make actions in regard to rides. Others may have a different opinion, but I personally feel that for the most part, Kinzel would rather let old rides stay in the park and not do anything about them while Ouimet actually wants to take action.

I feel that within the next several years we will see a higher number of rides being removed from Cedar Fair parks to make way for newer and better additions. I believe that if Kinzel was still in charge, we would not have seen the recent removals of DT, SS, and Wildcat. He would probably start to weed some of these out eventually, but not in a massive attack as it seems with Ouimet. And even though some people don't like this mass exodus of classic rides, I really do think that in a few year the park will be more balanced. As long as Blue Streak is not a ride on the Chopping Block (or even CCMR, I still like that little ride) then I'm all for Ouimet's new style. I just won't be surprised if rides like Corkscrew get removed in the near future, as it seems to be Ouimet's style to take care of outdated rides. And like I said, right now it might just seem like Ouimet is just randomly picking weeds out of the park, but I'll be shocked if within the next 5 years twice as many flowers don't spring up in the same place. Sometimes you have to get rid of the old and replace it with even better, new things, and I believe Ouimet is doing exactly this.

thrillsawait.weebly.com

Ride On_17 said:
I believe that if Kinzel was still in charge, we would not have seen the recent removals of DT, SS, and Wildcat. He would probably start to weed some of these out eventually, but not in a massive attack as it seems with Ouimet.

There's certainly some truth to that (Kinzel was probably too focused on the "most coasters" record), though I would think another part of it is timing.

CP is not going to see any dramatic changes in attendance, and by extension, won't see huge increases in revenue. As such, they can only afford to support a limited number of attractions. So, when it is determined that guests are clamoring for something new, it's more likely now than it was that something will need to be taken out.

Brandon

You must be logged in to post

POP Forums app ©2024, POP World Media, LLC - Terms of Service