Top Thrill Might lose its record in 2005, Possibly.

Maybe they just want the tallest and/or the fastest coaster in the Northeast or just the East Coast.

If you look at it that way then TTD will still hold the world's record.

I'm bored with records.

Yawn.

Who cares if they did get the record? However, given the ride's length and the unlikelyhood that Six Flags would ever pour that much capital into one place again, I doubt it will be very big.

Jeff - Advocate of Great Great Tunnels™ - Co-Publisher - PointBuzz - CoasterBuzz - Blog - Music

The information on www.rcdb.com says is is an Intamin AG - Rocket Coaster. So wether it's a record breaker or not, it will likely be something like Excelerator or TTD.

884 Coasters, 35 States, 7 Countries
http://www.rollercoasterfreak.com My YouTube

Jeff said:
I'm bored with records.

Yawn.

Who cares if they did get the record? However, given the ride's length and the unlikelyhood that Six Flags would ever pour that much capital into one place again, I doubt it will be very big.

Especially given that we're just breaking records just for the sake of breaking records. We're not making cool roller coasters anymore, just record breaking machines. I doubt its true, but if it is, I'm gald they're losing the record by equally as cheap means as they got it. Funny how everyone got excited for TTD even though Xcelerator had already debuted but everyone seems to think this one will not be cool. If speed and height are everything, as many of the TTD fans keep telling me, than as long as this is higher and faster it'll be better.

Well, I wish them better luck with their launch then. :)
I agree with Jeff. If it breaks the record then it breaks the record. If it doesn't it doesn't. I'll still ride TTD either way. Steel Dragon 2000 didn't effect Millennium Force at all. If CP has trouble keeping their ride running then Six Flags would treat it like Deja Vu. Just imagine, TTD with 1 train operation. OUCH LONG WAIT!!!

-Craig-
2008:Magnum XL-200 | Top Thrill Dragster
2007:Corkscrew | Magnum XL-200 | Maverick

1 Train operation would make a 1/2 wait to about 3 hours
Gomez, that's not even funny... *** Edited 7/31/2004 12:18:22 AM UTC by Huggy Bear***
How many people remember the first ride over the next one that came after it that was slightly bigger?

If all it does is go 20 feet higher and 5 MPH faster, then what makes it more memorable than a coaster just a smidgen smaller if it basically the same thing?

Records are for people who like to read the Guinness Book and for public relations folks who need things to write about. Yes, TTD was a record breaker but it broke the record in a way that was unheard of, much like Magnum XL-200. That's better publicity in my opinion than just stacking on a few feet to something someone has already done.

If it is like dragster, design wise, then six flags sure has some nerve copying off of it. It would be like them taking dragster, repainting, and selling it of as their own.

And how could Intamin agree to do this to Cedar Point! :)

Hey Eric H.:

You are absolutely correct about the insignificance of breaking the record of such a ground-breaking coaster as TTD.

However, wouldn't 20 feet higher be a pretty good leap from 420? On the other hand, would an extra 5 mph get it over the top? Based on Dragster's record, you'd have to wonder.

When Steel Dragon eclipsed MF, didn't it exceed MF's height by less than 10 feet?

But for Six Flags fans (do they really exist?), one might argue that all Dragster did was go a little higher (what, about 20 feet) than Superman at Magic Mountain while completing a full coaster circuit, which is a noteworthy achievement.

But of course, CP argues that Superman isn't really a coaster. Frankly, I'd like to get a rollback on Dragster to get a bit of an idea of what Superman is like. But in 20-plus rides, it has yet to happen.

I suppose that the next frontier is at least 450 feet in height, so unless they're going to reach that level, then you are right: What's the big deal?

But hey, higher and faster are what we're looking for.

At what point will a ride be too high and too fast?

Do I hear 500 feet?

Just make sure the belts are long enough.

Too High? Too Fast? What does that mean.... These statements do not make sense to me.

884 Coasters, 35 States, 7 Countries
http://www.rollercoasterfreak.com My YouTube

Being a fan of both CP and SFGA, this thread really shows how some CP fans just refuse to believe their eyes. Yes, the new coaster is 320 feet shorter than TTD, but other threads on PointBuzz have shown that with fewer trains and a more intense launch (shorter launch and brake run), the records (speed and height) can be broken with 2,480 feet of track.

Yes, SFI has a ton of debt, but their capital budget is $75m for 2005, so one flagship park could get a record breaker at the expense of other, smaller parks. Furthermore, Wall Street holds the fate of SFI, and they are 2 hours away from SFGA.

Most importantly, 45% of the entire US population lives within 5 hours of SFGA which is the other flagship park in the chain, and the only one without a 400 foot ride (MM already has one). Given the size of the supports, it is pretty clear (99% certainty) that SFGA will capture the speed and height record from TTD (unfortunatly), but given CPs competitive nature, it only quickens the arrival of a 600 foot monster IMO (and that certainly is good news imo).

Bottom Line: This is a great move for SFGA and SF, while I believe, being the first to break a milestone height is more important than maintaining the record. Magnum, MF, and TTD are all testaments to their quality and uniqueness.

Tom

Gomez said:
If CP has trouble keeping their ride running then Six Flags would treat it like Deja Vu. Just imagine, TTD with 1 train operation. OUCH LONG WAIT!!!

Uhhh... I don't think I understand what you are saying, but how do you run Deja Vu without one traing operation?

But again, I am a Noob to life. ;)

He's saying that if Cedar Point has trouble with TTD, then Six Flags will have trouble with theirs and only operate the ride with one train. Deja Vu isn't a complete circuit coaster. They can only operate one train because of its design.

http://www.sixflags.com/parks/magicmountain/images/deja_vu1.jpg

http://www.sixflags.com/parks/magicmountain/images/deja_vu2.jpg

Just because the supports are bigger doesnt mean the ride will be bigger. It could easily just be a design change. We all know how great that Intamin steel can be.
Well Huggy Bear, I didn't think that I would have to put the [sarcasm] note every time I use sarcasm. I though that the ;) would do the trick, but I guess not.

TTD 120mph said:
And how could Intamin agree to do this to Cedar Point! :)

Do you think Intamin really cares? They get their money no matter where their coasters go. If this coaster is in fact a clone of Dragster, or at least a scaled-down version of it using the hydraulic launch system, who's to say Intamin hasn't made the system more efficient? I don't see Hershey having much trouble at all with Storm Runner...

I was just joking (notice the smiley face). I'm well aware that Intamin wouldn't care. And regarding that last sentance I believe I remember a while back somebody said in a thread that Intamin and Hershey Park officials visited Cedar Point(in March or April) to take a look at Dragster.
They wanted to get an idea of what might to expect with Storm Runners hydraulic system. And I'm not exactly sure but I think Intamin did something to Dragsters hydraulics while they were there *** Edited 8/1/2004 2:42:46 AM UTC by TTD 120mph***
Well, I personally don't think those are going to be supports for the world's tallest coaster to-be.

If it is...I'll find some six flags MM fansite and go prove to them that CP ownz them. Simply because we have had the world's tallest coaster record 4 times! The fastest 4 times too...maybe 3? Can't remember Gemini at the moment.

And what does SFMM have? X:A ride that is down every Wednesday for maintaining. Riddler: Oo! I big B&M stand up. I'm scared! BatMan: like the oldest inverted B&M I think. It's grey. How is that batman'ish. We have the mean green killer bird machine! Goliath: Who the heck is Giovaniola (or however you spell it)? Yea, they've made a few coasters, but so what. The ride is a dwarf compared to CP's rides. Flashback: has it gone a week with fairly consistant uptime in the last...umm...5 years! Viper...It's big, and neat for an arrow, but it's getting old. And it's uptime is much less than Magnum, an even larger Arrow. Deja Vu: What a joke for a half-way decent ride. I'm happy with the 10 rides I can get on a Vekoma bomerang. The thrill from those rides is a total of 5 times more than Deja Vu.

SFMM cannot keep their coasters up and running. Some of them are falling apart and people are too stupid to notice. Flashback looks worse than Wildcat before it was painted. They need to shape up at that place and get some sense...and money without the little "-" before it.

DT is CP's embarrassment coaster, but it gives a good ride. And it's one of few bobsled coasters. A rare treat these days. I like the fact that there isn't a track holding you in one specific spot.

CP is better. Who cares about SFMM.

I like CP...and cheese. *** Edited 8/1/2004 3:59:31 AM UTC by rathofdoom***

Closed topic.

POP Forums app ©2024, POP World Media, LLC - Terms of Service