(This isn't 1991!) You know it's crowded when...

Thought I'd post a picture of something I haven't seen since 1991 opening day but saw today at the park that made me do a double take. Yes, it was running and the queues were full. Check this out:

http://i1260.photobucket.com/albums/ii572/CPpixx/100_4489_zps5nbmqv3n.jpg

So there goes all the doubts about Mean Streak's popularity!! Had to post this cause I couldn't believe it unless I witnessed it with my own eyes.

Being a member of this forum for 13 years (w/2 different screen names since 2002), I totally forgot about it being Columbus Day weekend (been warned many times on here in the past) and I felt as though I stepped into a time warp and went back to 1994, the year when Raptor was built and Cedar Point has it's biggest crowds ever.

Things I saw at the park today that I haven't seen in years, if ever. I knew we were in trouble when we got to the park (via the main toll gate entrance) at 1:30pm and there were cars 3 rows across, about 50 deep with another 50 behind us. We had to park in section 75K, yes that section does exist! because of the main lot being full. This section is to the inside (by the water/east of the marina) and immediate left of the main gate toll booth (directly past the sculpted Peanuts character bushes). I've never had to park here, ever and I've been going to the park about 40 years. I've parked on the grass before by the Chausee entrance. This was even further back. The attendants started directing traffic to the Soak city lot right after this.

I've never seen a wait for Mean Streak, like today, in over 20 years. There was lines out the door at 4pm to eat at Chuck Wagon Inn and Last Chance Saloon. Yes, you read that correctly. Swarms of people everywhere. Wait times witnessed for a few rides: Gemini 60 minutes, Corkscrew 45min, MillForce 2 hours, Maverick 2 hours, and also from 630-7:30, lines out the door,snaking down the midway, toward the Raptor entrance, to eat at Midway Market. Unreal. There were lines crazy long for Hurricane Hannah's and all food stands. I felt as though I stepped into the Twilight Zone. Yet, I walked right into the Hexed haunt at 8pm with no wait or line at all! Bizarre. I wish better luck on anyone going on Sunday, it should be interesting. Was anyone else on here at the park today and experienced these sights?? What is it with the Columbus Day weekend being crazy every year??

What was the wait time for Mean Streak?!

I went today against my better judgement only because Friday and Sunday this weekend are both a no go and I'm trying to get every last possible visit in before the park closes. I knew of the potential for trouble but decided to live dangerously. We arrived a little after 6pm. We ended up parking in the main lot after wandering for about 15 minutes watching for people leaving. My kids, one of whom said traffic on the midways didn't look heavy on the webcam, suggested leaving as soon as we saw people parked in the grass but I told them we're here, our parking is free, let's just go in and see what happens. We normally ride Mean Streak but did not because of the mentioned line. It wasn't quite that long when we were back there but it was at least 30-45 minutes and I'm not waiting that long knowing that next week the wait will probably be back to 10 minutes. Spilled out into the midway like that picture they probably waited an hour easily. At one point I had to wait in line for the bathroom. Some restrooms were in much better shape than others. All food lines looked awful but I rarely eat in the park so that really didn't affect us. We rode CP&LE, Pipescream, and Cedar Downs once each and got in 6 rides on Blue Streak 3 when we got there and 3 on the way out. We walked right into the station each time and only waited 2 cycles maybe each time. We got through Cut Throat Cove, Feary Tales (which had improved from 2 weks ago) and whatever they call the Frontier Trail walk now(is it still Screamworks?). We also took a nice walk down the boardwalk and my kids watched the letting the monsters out thing back in Frontier Town. Blood on the Bayou lines were all the way down the midway almost to where Corkscrew goes over the midway. Cornstalkers was down the midway all the way to the water cannon area of Maverick. Maverick's fastlane entrance line spilled out and down the midway. Eternity Infirmary's line was out into the midway by a good 50 ft. it was crazy but I knew that was a possibility today so our expectations were adjusted for it and we had a good time. We left around 10:30 and at that point traffic was heavy but reasonable and there were no back ups going out the chaussee. They had a lot of traffic control and were directing at the corner of the chaussee and Rt 6 so hopefully things went smooth after closing but I figured I wasn't going to push my luck and wait around that long.

Last edited by Paisley,

Glad to see you there Paisley :)

Welcome to Columbus Day weekend. I will say, today was one of the best days to work. And the parking lot cleared out A LOT faster than 2013. Now that was a mess.

CPfan1976 said:

So there goes all the doubts about Mean Streak's popularity!! Had to post this cause I couldn't believe it unless I witnessed it with my own eyes.

[...]

Swarms of people everywhere.

So first you imply that the (relatively) long wait for Mean Streak indicates popularity, then you confess that the park was simply packed everywhere. Which is it?

When the park is busy, popularity increases?

That'd be some serious witchcraft there.

More rather, as the park fills in, everything draws larger crowds. People tend to somewhat be able to disperse themselves throughout the park such that everyone is not waiting for the same few things. Something like..

"Well, I don't particularly care for Mean Streak, but it's 'only' got a half hour wait instead of the 2+ hours over at Maverick. Guess we can do it at least once.."

See, that doesn't indicate a change in popularity, which would imply that the riders actually enjoy the ride and want to ride again.

popularity |ˌpäpyəˈlaritē| noun the state or condition of being liked, admired, or supported by many people

Last edited by topthrilldragster4lyf,

Right. Relative popularity remains the same. But absolute popularity seems to increase (for everything) based on the average wait times.

I was at the park yesterday, as well. definitely some of the longest lines ive ever seen at the park. It didn't help that TTD was up and down all day, at one point there was a line down to the station (from the entrance) and the ride hadn't even opened back up yet. Magnum was an hour and a half at one point, waited almost 2 for Maverick. After the Haunts opened up i thought it would die down, but that wasn't really the case. Magnum got to a half an hour and Rougarou was maybe 20 minutes, so it wasn't terrible. Last ride of the night was a 1h30m wait for MF. I was actually pretty impressed with the ride ops yesterday keeping the lines moving. I'm usually pretty critical of them, but they were on top it. Wanted to try Slaughterhouse, as well, as ive heard good things, but couldn't bring myself to wait an hour 45 for a haunt.

Wife and I went yesterday as well. Normally I'd avoid crowded days, but the weather was too inviting and we hadn't made much use of the platinum passes this year.

The place was packed as previously posted, but I was really impressed with alot of the ride ops being this late in the season. They still had a good level of intensity/perkiness and working the crowds. Lines everywhere, even for MS. Surprised to see it all the way out of the queue entrance. Maverick FP was clocking in at about 45 minutes, so I wasn't even going to touch it (not having a FP so my wait would have been in the 2 hour + zone). Good decor as always for this time of year. Spent time walking the boardwalk together and just enjoying the sights and smells. Met up with my son and his friend at FD's for dinner - he gave me a taste of the jalapeno bacon from his burger - very tasty.

remember: no matter where you go... there you are.

I did Columbus Day Saturday once, by accident, in 2002. Never again. I love to lurk on here though to see the chaos that occurs every year. I feel like the weather is always A+ for this weekend as well. Glad to see while crazy crowded, the park handled it well.

I plan to hit my first ever closing day this year. I figure it'll truly be hit or miss crowd wise based on the weather.

I went on Friday. The line for the Maverick was 45m - 1 hr, MF was 30m, TTD was Up & Down. Raptor 5m, Rougarou was 5m, Magnum 30m, Gatekeeper 5m. The Zoobie High School was a 10m & at 8pm the Slaughter House was 15m. At this time of year to go to Cedar Point is on Friday's. Why I say this is because there are high school football games, kids going back to Collage, and some parties going on. 2 weeks ago all Open Roller Coasters were not even 30m waiting times.

I've always said that Friday nights are wonderful nights for kids to do their art projects.

Promoter of fog.

I know this is a PointBuzz forum, but just got back from a weekend of doing Kings Island and the same phenomenon occurred there as well. It was so unbelievably packed, but it was still a great time.

Oddly enough Stricker's Grove (that hipster park that is only open 4-5 days to the public each year) was also crazy packed. Ever since their presence on Facebook and promoting their customer appreciation day, the park attendance has grown exponentially.

Glad the weather worked out and we saw packed crowds. That's great for the park and the economy.

~Rob

Didn't they get rid of all the queue switchbacks on Mean Streak so there's really no way to make the line bigger anymore? Granted, if it's only like this for maybe 3-4 days a year, it's not a huge deal.

Just came back from Kings Island yesterday and although the park was full, the lines seemed all pretty manageable. Only long wait was on Flight of Fear and that was more due to clumsy Fast Lane merging than anything.

Ben.gifford1 said:

I was actually pretty impressed with the ride ops yesterday keeping the lines moving. I'm usually pretty critical of them, but they were on top it.

Wayne B said:

The place was packed as previously posted, but I was really impressed with alot of the ride ops being this late in the season.

Seeing comments like this makes me happy

2015 - Ride Host: Shoot the Rapids 2016 - Team Leader: Ripcord/Challenge Golf 2017 - Supervisor: Thunder Canyon 2018 - Supervisor: Camp Snoopy 2019 - Supervisor: Power Tower

I went yesterday (Sunday) and totally forgot about the Columbus Day weekend. I kind of realized after getting to the toll booth and seeing 3 lines of cars and actually having to wait to walk through the front gate. When I got there I went to turn on Tony's notifications and saw a tweet about extended hours until 10 with scare zones open at 7 and haunted houses remaining open at 3 like a regular Sunday. With that being said, it wasn't actually that bad. I rode Rougarou (no wait as usual), Pipe Scream, power tower twice, Raptor, Gatekeeper, Max Air, and went to Slaughterhouse, Hexed (4 times because it was literally a walk on), Eternity Infirmary, Zombie Highschool, Blood on the Bayou, Cut Throat Cove, and all the scare zones all while grabbing Panda Express and Starbucks throughout the day. To me that's a productful day and the weather was near perfect. I was afraid the parking situation would be terrible leaving the park, but I was able to get out in no time.

topthrilldragster4lyf said:

So first you imply that the (relatively) long wait for Mean Streak indicates popularity, then you confess that the park was simply packed everywhere. Which is it?

Wow take a chill pill.

Ripcord said:

Wow take a chill pill.

So first you say Wow as if you are excited about something and then you say to chill. Which is it?

Yes - I am being sarcastic ;)

You must be logged in to post

POP Forums app ©2024, POP World Media, LLC - Terms of Service