Summer 2003 Employment Questions

Well thanks for all the suggestions and stories guys. I know what I want to do. I really hope to get hired to that department. Your stories make my university experience look sane, well maybe a little.

Keith
Coaster Count: 87

kjetski, glad you got that out of your system. I enjoyed reading that. Enter key does help a bit on the eyes when reading long post :)

------------------
Gemini 100 - 35

yea got it....indention for retention and attention...ok will do...it was really a fun/irresponsible summer...im still wondering what happened to all that rotting trash i threw up into the attic in the old commons..

i guess some anthropologist will guess 1000 yrs from now

Anyone have the number for Readers' Digest?
really everything i wrote is true..lord knows what that apartment looks like now...i know it was disgusting when i left it.....
Hahah... good times... thanks for a good read.

------------------
gravity: down to earth, without the sugar coating.

www.geocities.com/gravityjmb

kjetski --- that HAS to be the greatest thing i have ever read on this site. i'm in CIS class right now (shows ya how exciting it is huh?) and it's taking all i have not to start laughing and getting in trouble for not doing my work. i have tears in my eyes oh man thanks for that one.

------------------
Thunder Canyon, Wave Swinger/Swan Boats '00
ATL CP & LE R.R, Magnum XL-200 '01
Raptor, DT, Demon Drop, & missing Twister crew member '02

I have heard that there has been alot of rule changes.....besides the drinking age...If any one can please tell me is security "enthusiastic"? When I stayed at the Breakers Express this year some idiot was using hemp in his/her hotel room and you could smell it 100 yards away (thats why you blow the smoke out the window!). 2 CP policeman walked by and I let them use my phone to call "back up" or something...and I'm sure that moron was arrested...What struck me was the police officers were happy to bust the dope smoking idiot...Does this apply to employees as well??

And I use the term idiot because CP is family entertainment......Im sure that there are plenty of places in Sandusky to use hemp and not get caught....Leave the crack pipe at home kiddies!!!

Ha, ask anyone on Magnum this year, and they'll totally agree that the security guards are very "enthusiastic"... That day was still one of the most memorable days of all season - National "Pull Your Tag" Day...

-------------------------
Mike
Mantis 2001
Magnum 2002

Ya that was an interesting day. i come back from break and eveyone is in shock, erin has no tag and nancy just comes up to me and is like *YANK* the next thing i no im in controls and b-ditty shows up to return the tags. o the memories

------------------
Mark-O-Polo
Magnum Crew 2k2

What was the reason given for your ids' being taken?
my id was taken as a joke, erins was taken for a reason. i belive if u read the threat about worst guest encounter the entire story is in there from Mother Goose.

------------------
Mark-O-Polo
Magnum Crew 2k2

kjetski--that is the greatest thing i have ever read...ive been at cp for 3 years, and i can now relate to some of those stories...we had a "sangria in a trash can" party this summer, dont remember much. So...as im a campus ambassador now, i suggested a few things to CP. Bring back the dances and the cheap beer nights at the park. Yeah we have 1 dollar nights twice a summer at soak city, but god, that ballroom is so underused, maybe its not stable enough? I'd love a dance, i know all of us havent been to one since high school, hell, just do it once a summer, make it like a week long thing, like homecoming is, find a date blah blah...i dont know, i think kids would like that. Louies is great, but it just gets so routine after a while. Something to peoples synapses firing :)

------------------
"Captain" Nate
Paddlewheel crew 2000
Paddlewheel ATL 2001
Thunder Canyon TL 2002

Really no bands on sunday night?? We had them every other week..i think...the 3.2% beer was not so hot but the bands were usually decent enough bar bands/garage groups..I remember one sunday afternoon walking in to the Frontier Inn to get a paper cup...and my regional mgr was working/supervising.....he knew i had a duffle bag full of beer.....and he asked if the cup was for "medicenal purposes"...i said "of course Ken!" and staggered out....I think that societal mores have changed so much that having fun is going to be outlawed.

The "anti-drug/fun" crowd is the RULING CLASS and will most likely remain so for some time. Its a shame that 18 year olds are not treated as the adults that they are...Do you know how old George Bush Sr. was when he was shot down over Ichi Jima? 19!!! He was the youngest pilot in the navy...The airforce had lots of 21 yr old lts and capts flying extremely sophisticated aircraft under extremely dangerous conditions....some 18/19 yr olds as well

Now someone please tell me the difference between a 19 year old in 1942 and a 19 yr old in 2002.....Perhaps the modern 19 yr old will be better educated/fed...but thats it!

A young man or woman can still be drafted at the age of 18, go to iraq, kill other humans, get shot at...yet cant have a smoke or a beer...

Unfortunately it seems some of the rules at CP take away the rights of adults to make adult choices...I understand that CP can be held liable for some morons stupidity thus they have the rules...but where does individual responsibility and accountability come into play?

I sincerely hope that an upper management type will read this and take it to heart. 18 yr old americans are ADULTS!

Oh, BTW Nate please be careful of the "trash can" parties....a "Camel non-filter" is not a very good mixer for Sangria!!!..I still get a "vomit lump" in the back of my throat at the thought...lol

kjetski said:

Unfortunately it seems some of the rules at CP take away the rights of adults to make adult choices...I understand that CP can be held liable for some morons stupidity thus they have the rules...but where does individual responsibility and accountability come into play?

I sincerely hope that an upper management type will read this and take it to heart. 18 yr old americans are ADULTS!

That's nice and all, but until the law actually says that anyone under 21 can drink, the law has to be enforced whether management agrees with it or not. Your personal opinion about how *fair* it is means nothing if you go to court over a rule so black-and-white as the alcohol policy.

As far as individual responsibility, I have yet to see any "responsible" parties in Cedar Point housing that involve drinking. For those of us who don't drink (and believe me, there are plenty of us at the Point who don't!) we wish that Housing would take an even stronger stance against people who are loud all hours of the night because they're too intoxicated to realize what they're doing. Personally, I need sleep in order to do my best at work, and it's unfair for other employees to take away my right to feel awake and healthy because I've been up all night listening to them yelling and banging into walls and furniture. I'm there to do a job and do it well; some people are there just to slack and party (example: people who come to work still drunk or pissy and hungover -- like they're going to be any asset to your crew, and if you have to send them home, it leaves you shorthanded). While there's nothing wrong with having a good time in general, when it begins to negatively affect other people -- and your performance at work -- it becomes a problem.

------------------
~Lee~

Group Sales ATL '01
Group Sales TL '02
'03 -- TBA
----------------------
"The greatest leaders don't take credit for their actions; they don't have to."

Although it is against the law for 21 yr olds to consume alcholic bev., managements' attitude is extrodinarily relevant. Leadership is from the top down, security has discretion whether to enforce or not enforce....Its not a black or white issue.

When people live together they will have conflicts such as noise ect.....Thats what quiet hours are for!....I think if you live on site the noise from the rides starts nice and early!

What ever work you do at CP its going to be long, hot and difficult. There is nothing wrong with a "work hard/play hard" lifestyle. The best thing about CP is the freindships that you develop through a common struggle.

If you work/live at CP you know ahead of time whats up with the living arrangements. In deference to non-drinkers, a drug/alcohol free dorm/floor might be a good solution....Sort of like a "red light" district if you will...

Yes i did show up at work still wasted/hungover 22yrs ago! Fortunately my manager was a bigger party animal than I was and we got along...And yes I felt like DOO-DOO but never did I take it out on anyone..I just waited till work was over and 3 or 4 beers later NO MORE HANGOVER!

kjetski said:

I guess what it comes down to is that I dont like zealots of any kind be they religous or otherwise. I find the "say no to drugs" crowd repugnant in that I enjoy my civil liberties way to much to let some tight ***** moron take them away in the name of "doing what's right"

Our civil liberties are being taken away one at a time in the name of security and CP seems to be a microcosm of this.Where does it all end...???

Hope this gets some feedback because its a wonderful debate!

When someone is intoxicated or high to the point where their judgement is impaired, they become a threat to the people around them, and therefore take away those other people's rights of personal safety. It doesn't matter what type of person you normally are; when your mind is affected by a chemical substance, you don't always have complete control over yourself. This is why many drugs are illegal; they promote criminal behavior and dangerous irresponsibility because the user can't think logically about consequences. Even drugs that are currently legal -- especially alcohol -- can cause people to do things that may hurt others (know anyone who has been hit by a drunk driver?) or even hurt themselves (date rape is a great example).

Having rules in place to protect our society from these unfortunate situations is very important. The people who create these rules aren't necessarily against you having a good time or allowing you to practice your civil rights. However, there is a point at which we need to draw the line, and laws against certain substances, and overuse of others, have been put in place to protect the people who aren't using, not necessarily the users themselves. If the people who did drugs or drank excessively were only a threat to themselves, I don't think these laws would exist.

It's not only "doing what's right," it's doing what makes sense.

**Debates are fun! Especially intellectual ones. It's always nice to talk to someone about a topic w/o all that juvenile flaming. Any other mature person who wants to join in either side, it would be interesting to hear your comments!**
------------------
~Lee~

Group Sales ATL '01
Group Sales TL '02
'03 -- TBA
----------------------
"The greatest leaders don't take credit for their actions; they don't have to."

Lee, I thought that you would get a charge out of this!!!

Should We Re-Legalize Drugs?

Libertarians, like most Americans, demand to be safe at home and on the streets. Libertarians would like all Americans to be healthy and free of drug dependence. But drug laws don't help, they make things worse.

The professional politicians scramble to make names for themselves as tough anti-drug warriors, while the experts agree that the "war on drugs" has been lost, and could never be won. The tragic victims of that war are your personal liberty and its companion, responsibility. It's time to consider the re-legalization of drugs.The Lessons of Prohibition

In the 1920's, alcohol was made illegal by Prohibition. The result: Organized Crime. Criminals jumped at the chance to supply the demand for liquor. The streets became battlegrounds. The criminals bought off law enforcement and judges. Adulterated booze blinded and killed people. Civil rights were trampled in the hopeless attempt to keep people from drinking.

When the American people saw what Prohibition was doing to them, they supported its repeal. When they succeeded, most states legalized liquor and the criminal gangs were out of the liquor business.

Today's war on drugs is a re-run of Prohibition. Approximately 40 million Americans are occasional, peaceful users of some illegal drug who are no threat to anyone. They are not going to stop. The laws don't, and can't, stop drug use.Organized Crime Profits

Whenever there is a great demand for a product and government makes it illegal, a black market always appears to supply the demand. The price of the product rises dramatically and the opportunity for huge profits is obvious. The criminal gangs love the situation, making millions. They kill other drug dealers, along with innocent people caught in the crossfire, to protect their territory. They corrupt police and courts. Pushers sell adulterated dope and experimental drugs, causing injury and death. And because drugs are illegal, their victims have no recourse.Crime Increases

Half the cost of law enforcement and prisons is squandered on drug related crime. Of all drug users, a relative few are addicts who commit crimes daily to supply artificially expensive habits. They are the robbers, car thieves and burglars who make our homes and streets unsafe.An American Police State

Civil liberties suffer. We are all "suspects", subject to random urine tests, highway check points and spying into our personal finances. Your property can be seized without trial, if the police merely claim you got it with drug profits. Doing business with cash makes you a suspect. America is becoming a police state because of the war on drugs.America Can Handle Legal Drugs

Today's illegal drugs were legal before 1914. Cocaine was even found in the original Coca-Cola recipe. Americans had few problems with cocaine, opium, heroin or marijuana. Drugs were inexpensive; crime was low. Most users handled their drug of choice and lived normal, productive lives. Addicts out of control were a tiny minority.

The first laws prohibiting drugs were racist in origin -- to prevent Chinese laborers from using opium and to prevent blacks and Hispanics from using cocaine and marijuana. That was unjust and unfair, just as it is unjust and unfair to make criminals of peaceful drug users today.

Some Americans will always use alcohol, tobacco, marijuana or other drugs. Most are not addicts, they are social drinkers or occasional users. Legal drugs would be inexpensive, so even addicts could support their habits with honest work, rather than by crime. Organized crime would be deprived of its profits. The police could return to protecting us from real criminals; and there would be room enough in existing prisons for them.Try Personal Responsibility

It's time to re-legalize drugs and let people take responsibility for themselves. Drug abuse is a tragedy and a sickness. Criminal laws only drive the problem underground and put money in the pockets of the criminal class. With drugs legal, compassionate people could do more to educate and rehabilitate drug users who seek help. Drugs should be legal. Individuals have the right to decide for themselves what to put in their bodies, so long as they take responsibility for their actions.

From the Mayor of Baltimore, Kurt Schmoke, to conservative writer and TV personality, William F. Buckley, Jr., leading Americans are now calling for repeal of America's repressive and ineffective drug laws. The Libertarian Party urges you to join in this effort to make our streets safer and our liberties more secure.

A very interesting article. However, I am still not convinced that legalizing drugs is the perfect solution. It all comes back to the idea of personal responsibility, which the author of this article, Kurt Schmoke, seems to believe will keep all drug users in line if drugs were legalized.

The sad reality is that the majority of drug users turn to drugs in order to *escape* personal responsibility. Drugs offer a "way out" from the problems these users face in the real world, and instead of seeking professional help in the first place, they comfort themselves with the skewed versions of reality brought on by the chemical effects of drugs and alcohol. I'm sure everyone has read in the papers some story about parents who neglect their children, and spend all day boozing in their run-down house instead of being proactive and looking for people who can get them help. Mr. Schmoke seems to think that using drugs and alcohol will help lead people to these professionals; however, I highly doubt that this will happen if they wouldn't try it in the first place. As well, many people permanently turn away from drug abuse only after spending some time in prison. Mr. Schmoke says that legalizing drugs will help to keep more people out of prison.

Instead of legalizing currently illegal drugs to solve our social problems, our government, communities, schools, and families need to work together to promote positive changes through aid and education. If people can lead positive and healthy lives without drugs, and have employment without needing to turn to drug dealing to get them the necessary funds to survive, there will be less drug-related crimes.

I am strongly in favor of programs that provide free education and job training for the poor, whether it be professional or in one of the skilled trades. Getting an education and new opportunities in life raises self-esteem; receiving honors and recognition for a job well done gives someone a "natural" high, and one that doesn't wear off or have dangerous health and mental side-effects.

Communities, schools, and families need to work together to support our nation's children and show them that there is value in living a drug-free life -- this includes having positive role models in sports, music, and television, since children and especially teens idolize these individuals and want to pattern their lives after these successful people. We also need more positive role models from all races and backgrounds; people identify better with those they have something in common with. We also need to hold our children accountable for their actions... All throughout life, you are held accountable for what you do, good and bad, and understanding of this should begin at home. It is absolutely okay and essential to ask them where they are going, what they will be doing and who they will be with. Teaching and modeling responsibility and setting appropriate limits are both very, very important. This isn't being unfair or limiting the kids' freedom; this is being a good parent. We need to provide opportunities to raise kids' self-esteem and help them to feel good about themselves and their talents. With good self-esteem, kids and teens will be able to face life's problems with the self-confidence that they can make it through using their own mind and abilities, without hiding from these issues by using drugs and alcohol.

We need to provide solutions for society's problems that meet them at their source, and these are only a few of the positive ideas that work and have stood the test of time. Using drugs is like putting a tiny Band-aid on a gaping, bleeding wound; they appear to help on the surface, but in reality are only delaying the effects of a much larger problem that has spread like an infection to all of society.

------------------
~Lee~

Group Sales ATL '01
Group Sales TL '02
'03 -- TBA
----------------------
"The greatest leaders don't take credit for their actions; they don't have to.

You must be logged in to post

POP Forums app ©2024, POP World Media, LLC - Terms of Service