Soak City 2016

I have always thought that Soak City was a nightmare. Sure, it may have looked all nice in 1996 or so, but that was years ago. For Cedar Point being the "Roller Coaster Capital" and having millions come each year, you'd think the flagship park would have an equal to its waterpark. I know we all hope next year is a big one for Soak City, but it goes a long way than just dumping three new slides down and calling it an expansion.

Cedar Point Lifer
Employee 2006-2009

If Kinzel was still around, I think we'd see another slide complex or two and call it good, but more recently, the trend has been "placemaking." Look at the Gatekeeper plaza, the main gate, the marina gate and Valravn, and Breakers. All of them are done in a beautiful way and not necessarily on the cheap (although I still hate that wood fencing. :)) I'm confident that when they decide to pull the trigger on Soak City upgrades, they will be done right.

-Matt

You know that parks always leave something un-fixed or unkept when they know they are planning something big for it. Like space spiral. They knew it was gonna go to make way for gatekeeper, so that's why they never painted it. There's no reason to fix up something they're gonna replace soon. I hope this is the case with soak city. The thing is with bubbles, even if they clean it, seagulls will just crap in it again right after they clean it. I have a husky and I give up on vacuuming the carpet because she sheds so much, as soon as I'm done cleaning, there's fur all over! It's like I never even vacuumed.

SC will probably get a funnel slide for 2017 (high hopes)

I wish Soak City looked a bit more like Wildwater Kingdom minus the dead amusement park remnants. The landscaping there is so nice. Soak City just feels like a bunch of concrete with water in most areas. Very forgettable visually. It would be nice for it to get the kind of treatment the Gatekeeper, Valravn and Gemini midway areas got.

When I think of a lake theme I think of old people sitting on deck chairs. When I think of a tropical theme I think of young people having fun. Between those two the tropical theme seems to fit the image of a vibrant water park better, in my opinion.

One thing I have noticed is that they have spent the last 5ish years fixing up all the entrances to the park. The beach gate with Breakers and Windseeker. Main entrance with Gatekeeper, Marina entrance with Valravn. Perhaps the Soak City entrance is next to receive an upgrade with a Soak City expansion.

Gatekeeper2013 said:

One thing I have noticed is that they have spent the last 5ish years fixing up all the entrances to the park. The beach gate with Breakers and Windseeker. Main entrance with Gatekeeper, Marina entrance with Valravn. Perhaps the Soak City entrance is next to receive an upgrade with a Soak City expansion.

So an epic water coaster flying above? ;)

Cedar Point Lifer
Employee 2006-2009

Look at some of the videos online of the upgraded entrance and slides at Carrowinds. I suspect SC gets similar treatment.

Brian,Favorite flat: MaxAirFavorite coaster: Millennium Force

Shades said:

When I think of a lake theme I think of old people sitting on deck chairs. When I think of a tropical theme I think of young people having fun. Between those two the tropical theme seems to fit the image of a vibrant water park better, in my opinion.

So, the overhauled Breakers is full of old people sitting on deck chairs?

IMO, it doesn't make sense to bring a forced tropical theme to a lakeside destination on a major lake. Something like Geauga Lake seems fine, but Erie? No way - keep up the coastal (New England/Carolinas) feel.

Totally agree. Breakers and the Lakeside Pavilion make such a strong statement in coastal Great Lakes style that it would only be logical that a revamped Soak City would follow through with that theme. Why force a fake tropical theme when you have a heritage and style to follow that is real life?

I'd rather be in my boat with a drink on the rocks,
than in the drink with a boat on the rocks.

Maybe Soak City's first water coaster: The Lake Erie Algae Bloom Flume

Mufflehead Madness!

Proud 5th Liner and CP fan since 1986.

My family and I went to the Bubbles Swim-Up Bar, we noticed that the whole pool including the cement that surrounds the pool was all covered in bird poop. We couldn't even sit down on the cement by the pool without getting bird poop on our clothes. There is a disease called Histoplasmosis, it is a respiratory disease that is caused by dried bird poop. But it can affect other parts of the body as well. Also I bought one of those $29.99 all season free refill drink bottles. And when I got to the bubbles swim up bar gate they told me to dump the bottle out because they think people are using them to bring in their alcoholic drinks. I don't even drink any type of alcohol. So I tried to fill it with water at the bar but they wouldn't fill it . Every time my parents go to the bar for a beer the price increases. So maybe this is the reason why you think people bring there own drinks in. Their is no price sheet, so you don't know how much drinks are.

I noticed that their is flower pots/ baskets at cedar point and all around soak city but not at bubbles.. And also I agree that bubbles is greatly need a update. We have been going their for 10 years and still no update. Once again I am complaining about their being no restrooms by bubbles and they wonder why people don't leave the pool.

With such a minimal season as this water park, it must be a financially difficult decision when considering capital expenditures. It's time though. Perhaps ProSlide Technology can lend a hand.

Shades said:

When I think of a lake theme I think of old people sitting on deck chairs.

If only there were things young people could do on or by the lake, like swim, ski, sail, sunbathe, play volleyball....

I agree, a lake theme for a renovated Soak City would be perfect.

I'm a Marxist, of the Groucho sort.

^^ CeeJay7, you might look up the difference between the words there and their.

CeeJay7 said:
Once again I am complaining about their being no restrooms by bubbles and they wonder why people don't leave the pool.

Ew... But funny at the same time!

ROUNDABOUND.

Soak City is easily the worst waterpark in the Cedar Fair chain when it comes to their slide collection, but the atmosphere with Magnum going through the waterpark is unmatched. I personally find the 1980s feel to be nostalgic and it fits the area well.

ProSlide ProSlide!!

You must be logged in to post

POP Forums app ©2024, POP World Media, LLC - Terms of Service