Rumors for 2002...

Seen in rec.roller-coaster:

For 2002, Cedar Point will be, according to rumor, losing Dodgem I back by the Magnum entrance so that it can be sent to Michigan's Adventure.

My comment on this: Dodgem II has something like 50 cars on it. Dodgem I has something like 40 cars on it. If the rumor is true...Since neither Dodgem building is exactly portable, it would make more sense to send the cars from one of the two rides to Michigan's Adventure for use in their new bumper car building, and split the remaining cars among CP's two rides. That would also leave CP with only one type of bumper car.

Second rumor; I forget the source:
Schwabinchen will be moving to Michigan's Adventure.

My comment: Michigan's Adventure already has a Trabant. Cedar Point removed the Trabant in 1991 under the argument that it wasn't necessary to have two very similar rides almost within sight of one another. Wouldn't the same be true for Michigan's Adventure??

--Dave Althoff, Jr.

2002 looks to be a big one for CP. The more I listen the more interesting the projects become.

In any case, Schwabinchen moving within CP or going away is almost a given now, but moving to Michigan seems unlikely to me for the reason you stated. Dogem I removal is also easy to imagine.

On a related note, given the highly conservative nature of the Point when it comes to safety, what do you think are the chances that Michigan worried them enough that they will decide to remove Chaos? Just a thought.

Word on the street is that you'll find a sit-down restaurant in the neighborhood between Corkscrew and Gemini. Probably the least glamorous thing you've ever heard, I know.

Trust the most logical rumors... though they may disappoint people looking for that inverted stand-up giga-woodie.

-----------------
Jeff
Webmaster/GTTP
Watch my grass grow: http://www.sillynonsense.com/subdivision/

Dave, it's not like you to be spreading rumors.  :)

My take on this.  Both rumors support other rumors I've heard about the not-to-distant future.  We all know of things supposedly around Oceana.  Schwabinchen's removal falls in line with this.  Secondly, removal of Dodgem I would open up a lot of space between Chaos and Camp Snoopy, enough for say a rumored Wild Mouse or some other small coaster, another rumor we've all heard of.

-----------------
Scott W. Short, Rail Junkie
mailto:scott@midwestcoastercentral.com
http://www.midwestcoastercentral.com

I think MIA could use a Schwabinchen.

Indeed, it may be a possibility that at least one ride will be leaving. The T-Bolt (already bastardized) may be leaving. There's a construction sign next tot he T-bolt for a ride. Now... that stretch of land is something like 10'x50'. That's pretty small. Boink the T-Bolt and you've got potential.

As for Dodge'ms, once upon a time, Michigan's Adventure had them. The Zoomer bathrooms are the old Dodge'm building.

hmm, could perhaps 2002 additions/renovations starting to take place?;)...
I'm thinking a restaurant across from corkscrew, near the paddlewheel excursions with a deck that extends a little out over the lagoons would be nice. Itd be a somewhat peaceful break from the roaring of all the coasters....except for the fact that right across the lagoons is Mantis, MF, and ID. 
-----------------
Actually the rumor of Trokia and Chaos moving makes sense too becasue if you think about the Zone 3 (for rides) it is the only zone that does NOT have a sit down restuarant.
-----------------
daniel j. haverlock
Magnum: 624/1889
Vertigo: 10

If the Dodgem removal is true, than I expect the sit down restaurant to go in the location of the Dodgem building, Trokia and Chaos would remain where they are.

*** This post was edited by Pete on 8/29/2001. ***

Moving rides from park to park yuck, sounds like a Six Flags thing to do.  Whats next, pictures of Millenium force in  Michigan Adventure's tv ads, ala the Texas Giant in the Astroworld ads.
Cedar Fair has moved MANY rides in the past, from park to park, including the original CP Wildcat to Valleyfair, Bayern Curve to Valleyfair, etc.
-----------------
Steuks!!
A sit down restraunt seems to be a trend popping up around the park.  johnny Rockets last year, now this.  My question is, if this is going to happen, do you think CP will go w/ another chain restraunt or branch out?!
-----------------
"Your obssesed w/ that place aren't you?"
No, the Six Flags thing to do would be to buy a park, and turn it into a junkyard for all it's useless rides...i/e the Old Indiana Park.

-------------
MF count: 20

Hmm, I wasn't going to put my info in, but since it is near the end of the season and this is just a "RUMOR" thread, I will add what I have heard.  This info comes from a very good source who has been at the park for quite some time.  I believe the info to be reliable.  I will keep it at.

Oceana will be gone.  Schwabinchen will be gone or at least moved.  Something very "big" will go in that location. 

Troika and Chaos are to be moved to another location.

The old Camp Snoopy which has that big tree thingy and the Peanuts Baseball game will be gone.

Something might be in the area between Gemini and Mean Streak.

I was told to expect 2 big rides.

I think I said enough.

Wait, didn't jeff just say "trust the most logical rumors"?  Isn't this a clue?   So is the idea of getting 2 coasters for 2002 logical?  Would it be more helpful for advertising than just geting one coaster for 2002? 
-----------------

Digital Daredevil said:

I was told to expect 2 big rides.

2 big rides are not necessarily 2 coasters.

-----------------
Steuks!!

To me if the chain is a pretty good one, I dont mind. Hey they have a TGI Fridays at the Bank One Stadium in Phoenix Arizona so anything is possible. And we know how much Cedar Fair likes TGI Fridays...hehe
I said those were the things I was told. At this point it is just pretty good rumor.  That's what this thread is about.  And I agree with Majon Heero that its not necessarily 2 coasters.  At least one of course.

We will know for sure when the announcements are made, so we should all remember that these are just rumors, no matter how reliable, you should take them as such.

IMO I think there would have been at least one sighting of ride parts by now if two coasters were going to be installed for 2002. Seems they would have to be ready to get to work fast as the season ends. Any sightings by anyone? However, 2 for 2002 sounds like a slogan.
I'm going to continue to disagree with the whole two coaster rumor business for several reasons. First, it has been stated on here many times, by many people, that the Point does not care about the most coaster record. By building two, you would get that record back. I also don't think that it's Cedar Point style to build two coasters in one year. Unless I am mistaken, the park likes to built one record-breaking coaster at a time, and market/ promote that ride as best they can all season long.

There are many of the same rumors floating around out there, mainly about Oceana, Troika/Choas, and Camp Snoopy that seem to make sense. Whatever the park has planned, it seems like 2002 will be an excellent year at the Point.

Mikey

You must be logged in to post

POP Forums app ©2024, POP World Media, LLC - Terms of Service