RMC Streak Photo Update - May 7, 2017

^218 ft strikes me as a bit overly hopeful.

Going by the angle of the lift, 218' seems about right.

I'd rather be in my boat with a drink on the rocks,
than in the drink with a boat on the rocks.

Oh, at least. I've always chuckled at those who are hoping for a 200 foot record breaker. I've thought ever since they started the lift that it's surely going to be well over that.

Anyone else think we could potentially see the world's first 90 degree drop on a hybrid coaster? I mean RMC was almost there with Goliath's 85 degree drop. Why not go all the way to 90? Would be pretty cool, especially at the rumored height of over 200 feet.

Rather than slope distance math, I have been doing a couple H of second hill vs H of first hill comparisons. These all seem to top out at 0.75= h2/h1 for various RMC projects. Since it seems like Mean Streak RMC added about 30 ft? to hill 2 yields about 206 for the H1 but this

is just fun speculative math that hasnt been brought up thus far.

Last edited by jo linn,

I think the flag on the 2nd hill represents the original height of 161'. If so it is just over that.

Edit to avoid a double post: I saw a picture a while back that looked like the new 2nd hill was just over the height of the original 1st hill. Normally the flag is placed on top of the lift so a flag near the top of the 2nd hill did not seem to make sense. My conclusion was that it was marking the original overall height of 161' of Mean Streak indicating the 2nd hill was now higher than the old first. Examining pictures and measuring the best I can on a picture, it looks like height difference between the flag and the top on the 2nd hill is just over 1 square of support structure. Looking at an old picture posted early in this thread of the Mean Streak entrance, I am guessing that would be about 4'. I know they could be different sizes but that is the best I can do right now.

With those assumptions and using jo linn's 75% rule, I am predicting the first hill will be 220' and the second hill is 165'. Cedar Point sometimes uses round numbers so it might work out to be exactly right.

Last edited by Front Seat Rider,

New photos on Screamscape, for those of us who are unable to enjoy a day at the park.

Interestingly, there appear to be new ledgers near the bottom of the first drop.

They are on the rightmost part of this picture.

Last edited by TheMissingLincc,

It is clear that the ride will pass the entrance area a second time using those shared ledgers after the stall, however, is there any evidence that the train will pass a third time thru this area like the old ride did?

TheMissingLincc said:

Interestingly, there appear to be new ledgers near the bottom of the lift hill?

These ledgers are actually at the foot of the large airtime hill. This is the base of the drop after the MCBR.

Ah, I suppose the wording I should have used was the bottom of the first drop/beginning of the top hat, as opposed to lift hill. It's interesting, they have yet to really deviate from the original course of the coaster.

Last edited by TheMissingLincc,

I just looked at those from my car and those ledgers are part of a return trip, moving toward the station. They almost look like they double up into the brake run, but it's too early for that if it's just after the mcbr. There's a lot of construction activity and truck traffic along that stretch back there and it's hard to stop and impossible to pull over anywhere.

Whoever said the ride looks different in person is right. Photos don't really capture it.

You should have just parked your car in the middle of the road so you could get out, hop the fence, and fly your drone around the construction site.

Brandon

If I did that, I would post the video/pictures on a specific other website... for reasons.

[Is trolling a valid reason?]

It was neat to drive past and get to hear the hammers going, lots of activity back there between that and cps

First ride; Magnum 1994

So we are predicting the first hill will be raised 40-60 feet but the midcourse will be the same height at the same point? The track has to be appropriate for a train that stops on the midcourse. So either it sometimes flies through and takes takes the last half much faster than it would if stopped or they regularly trim a lot of speed? It looks like it should hit the midcourse very fast. Was the midcourse raised?

As long as the train makes it back after being stopped on the mid-course brake the drop is high enough, it is ok if under normal operations trains fly through the brake as the track profile would be designed for that speed. If a train ever stops on the mid-course, the ride after restarting would of course be slow and dull compared to normal operation, but hey, maybe the riders will get a reride.

I'd rather be in my boat with a drink on the rocks,
than in the drink with a boat on the rocks.

^^ RMCs lose their speed a lot faster than the original traditional wooden rides they're made from. Hence why New Texas Giant added 10 feet to the first drop but then lost over 700 feet of track length. Even though 40ish feet looks like it'll be added to Mean Streak and the MCBR looks to be right around the same height as the the original, it's probably not going to zoom through there any faster than your typical MCBR.

Track for the second inversion is in place. So twisted! It'll exit the roll the same way it enters: https://instagram.com/p/BULXEMADtGF/

Am I the only one that sees the similarities between Maverick and this section of RMC Streak? It's not much, but the direction and order of elements is strikingly similar...

Roll (right/removed) - Wave turn (right) - Dive (left)

Well, since Maverick IS the best ride in the park, this MS 2.0 just keeps getting better!

CPVet said:

^^ RMCs lose their speed a lot faster than the original traditional wooden rides they're made from. Hence why New Texas Giant added 10 feet to the first drop but then lost over 700 feet of track length.

So, I've heard this whole "RMC's lose their speed faster" a few times, but I'm not sure anyone has explained why. And it doesn't make sense to me. Wood coasters presumably have a looser tolerance in the track dimensions (gauge, etc.) as compared to Iron Horse track, which would lead to greater loss of energy.

Furthermore, that NTG is 700 feet shorter is irrelevant, unless it enters the final brakes at the same speed as it did prior to the conversion.

Brandon

You must be logged in to post

POP Forums app ©2024, POP World Media, LLC - Terms of Service