News: Cedar Fair preparing for another pandemic-focused season in 2021

Tuesday, November 17, 2020 6:12 AM

RideMan said:
I don’t understand why parks... when they cut hours it’s always off the end of the day rather than the start.

Probably because...

Dennis Urban said:

Come dark, most of the people clearing out after a long day, by 9/10pm coaster lines were short or non-existent...

Then again, what do the people running the parks know?

Brandon

+0
Tuesday, November 17, 2020 9:26 AM

Universal Orlando lacks evening hours most of the year outside of HHN. Disney cruise ships often don't have the kids pool open after dinner. Parking lots are not as full after dark. I don't see a lot of mystery going on.

Jeff - Advocate of Great Great Tunnels™ - Co-Publisher - PointBuzz - CoasterBuzz - Blog - Music

+3Loading
Tuesday, November 17, 2020 1:25 PM

For those of you who use the Giant Wheel as a barometer of what's going on at the park, I have some distressing news.

https://twitter.com/TonyClarkCP/status/1328696071149776896?s=19

-Craig
Lifetime Laps on Woodstock Express: 0

+6Loading
Tuesday, November 17, 2020 1:47 PM

Operationally it makes sense to keep day hours over evening hours. The vast majority of people who make decisions, think those in offices, keep your standard 9-5 hours. Vendors the park deals with keep similar hours, so do deliveries, etc. If the above hours that Dave mentioned at Cedar Point were the majority of this past season it makes sense as the workload for 1st and 2nd shift Maintenance is divided up (somewhat) equally. Operational costs such as lighting is kept down, easier to find lost children in the daylight, etc. So as long as the parks are going to have reduced hours and the choice between AM or PM hours, you'll likely always see AM hours winning.

-Chris
Remember, if you're arguing on the internet, you've already lost.
YouTube | Twitter | Instagram

+1Loading
Tuesday, November 17, 2020 7:18 PM

I would also love to have night closures as opposed to morning openings, but I think a major issue with implementing this under the current guidelines would be enforcement of mask requirements. Once dark sets in, it is going to be much more difficult to make sure everyone is wearing a mask, since there is far less light to work with. This is especially concerning for ride lines; as RideMan pointed out, ride queue houses are among the highest risk places in the park. With limited light and a full queue house, it would be very difficult to be able to tell that someone in the middle of the line has taken off their mask, compared to the daytime.

+0
Tuesday, November 17, 2020 8:33 PM

I would think later hours at Cedar Point would have everything to do with trying to attract hotel visitors. A 7pm close leaves a lot of free time for people who are staying on property. We didn't visit this year until Fall, so I'm not sure how many hotel extras were occurring despite the earlier closing time.

It also hurt that there was no early entry this year. Being able to load every row on the rides and avoid wiping everything down every hour are the 2 big things I would like to see happen for 2021.

-- Chuck Wagon --
aka Pagoda Gift Shop

+1Loading
Wednesday, November 18, 2020 1:07 AM

I just want the mask rule to go away. Even harmonized with the State requirements (indoors, mostly) would make it so I could visit again. Anything else I might grumble about, but at least I could deal with it.

—Dave Althoff, Jr.

/X\ *** Respect rides. They do not respect you. ***
/XXX\ /X\ /X\_ _ /X\__ _ _____
/XXXXX\ /XXX\ /XXXX\_ /X\ /XXXXX\ /X\ /XXXXX
_/XXXXXXX\_/XXXXX\_/XXXXXXX\_/XXX\_/XXXXXXX\__/XXX\__/XXXXXX

+1Loading
Wednesday, November 18, 2020 7:10 AM

^ It's wild how differently people view and feel about things even during a pandemic. I avoid places that don't enforce mask rules, and certainly wouldn't go anywhere near Cedar Point without it (for now.)

Last edited by F1rePhant0m, Wednesday, November 18, 2020 7:17 AM
+4Loading
Wednesday, November 18, 2020 9:00 AM

^ Because as an individual mask wearing probably hasn't been problematic for you. For those of us having difficulty with it how long we are expected to be masked determines whether or not an activity is worth doing. If you know you are going to be miserable during what is suppose to be a fun experience why do it at all? Being able to walk the midway without a mask and just wear it indoors and in the que lines would make Cedar Point a vastly more enjoyable experience for me. I wouldn't reach the point of having to medicate myself or leave so quickly.

+0
Wednesday, November 18, 2020 9:51 AM

^ We know. You've told us multiple times. And yes, it's not problematic for me.

+0
Wednesday, November 18, 2020 10:44 AM

The largely emotional reactions against masks are a lot like being emotional about the fact that too much sun causes skin cancer. You can hate it, but it doesn't change the outcome. Similarly, not wearing masks spreads the disease, whether you like it or not. If there's a reason you can't wear a mask, then you can't be among others in public until we reach a point at which we can all not wear masks.

Jeff - Advocate of Great Great Tunnels™ - Co-Publisher - PointBuzz - CoasterBuzz - Blog - Music

+9Loading
Wednesday, November 18, 2020 11:41 AM

My point, which I probably didn't make well, is simply that it is not wild that people view or feel differently about things because that view is going to be based on how something affects them personally. Even applied to the conversation about closing time preference. How the closing time affects you determines whether you would prefer 8pm or a later opening with close at 10pm. The differences in opinion all over the place don't surprise me pandemic or not.

+0
Wednesday, November 18, 2020 3:20 PM

^^ I don't know Jeff, according to the extensive research I've done (Twitter), wearing masks doesn't help. In fact it does more harm, and is part of a slow march towards the elimination of our freedoms.

Even worse (!), the vaccine is going to alter our DNA, or might install the "Bill Gates Chip ™", or BOTH.

Our only option is to resist and get herd immunity! Example follows.

(Btw this is not aimed at anyone here, I do recognize some people have legit problems with masks.)

Last edited by operative_me, Thursday, November 19, 2020 2:34 PM

-Craig
Lifetime Laps on Woodstock Express: 0

+0
Yesterday, 3:32 PM

Good article below, that I can confirm w/ some of my health care worker friends:

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2020/11/americas-best-prepared-hospital-nearly-overwhelmed/617156/?utm_source=pocket-newtab

+0

You must be logged in to post

POP Forums app ©2020, POP World Media, LLC - Terms of Service