New for 2013

They charge that much because they can. If you really don't feel like paying their prices got to the Wendy's or McDonalds off of the Rye Beach Road exit.

It also appeared that maXair got a new paint job

Gatekeeper2013 said:
They charge that much because they can. If you really don't feel like paying their prices got to the Wendy's or McDonalds off of the Rye Beach Road exit.

Um, yeah I know. I'm saying that for everyone, though. The park will get away with it as they always have, and people are stupid to pay for that (sometimes I don't think they know all their options, if they are not local). But you can not always blame economy or gas when in-park spending is not as high as it should be, or attendance is not as high in the past. It is greed, the park takes advantage. Sure it's a business and it's all about profits, but there is a fine line between mark-up and greed. And it's not just Midway Market, but all of their locations. Just because I choose not to eat at the park does not mean I can't voice my dislike for their prices.

Cedar Point Lifer
Employee 2006-2009

Yes, maXair did get paint.

I'm disappointed with a lot of the food pricing, and I'm not exactly poor. The fries are over six bucks now, and the Midway Market pricing is at the cost of a good entre at an Epcot restaurant, only you're getting mediocre buffet food. I suppose the once-a-year crowd may suck it up and pay it, but I can't imagine season pass holders are going to spend a lot at those rates.

Jeff - Advocate of Great Great Tunnels™ - Co-Publisher - PointBuzz - CoasterBuzz - Blog - Music

^Exactly. I'll stick with my cheapest possible one meal per day strategy I've used when going to the park for several years now. Breakfast at home, late lunch at the park, sometimes an ice cream in the evening/night, and either McDonald's or my own food after leaving. It keeps the $ to a minumum and I'm fine with not eating much while at the park.

thrillsawait.weebly.com
Top 5 CP Coasters: 1. Steel Vengeance 2. Millennium Force 3. Maverick 4. Dragster 5. Magnum
Coaster Count: 102

shamrockcb said:
Also, is Chick Fil A still at their old location?

Yes.

Walt Schmidt - Co-Publisher, PointBuzz
PointBuzz on Twitter | Facebook | YouTube
Home to the Biggest Fans of the World's Best Amusement Park

You can always do what my family has done in the past and we have packed a cooler and kept it in our car in the soak city lot and go out to the car each time we got hungry hand had a picnic in the shelter houses or on the beach and it is a nice relaxing break from the park at times

Magnum 2002, Magnum 2003, Mean Streak, Snake ATL, Mean Streak TL 2004, Magnum TL 2005, Mean Streak TL 2006, Part Time Rides 2007

CP_Obsessed_Freak1987 said:

WOW. How can they expect people to pay all this money on "just-okay" food? I don't care if it's a burger and fries or a buffet, $18 is asburd. Your ticket prices are right where they should be, parking is absurd, and then to increase food prices that were already high? It's things like this that pisses me off... greed.

Well you see... There's this service fee, and the park has to pay for continuous improvements to the infrastructure, and there are these other companies that provide the food to the Midway Market, and the goal of the park is to make a profit, and it's the American way, and if you don't like it then tough luck, you can eat the slop out of the garbage dumpsters. Who cares, it's only $5 or $6 bucks. If you can't afford it then you should just stay home and it means more tasteless and luke warm food for me.

(^ slight cross thread sarcasm^)

Last edited by The PointGuru,

You people are idiots for thinking Cedar Point is greedy for getting what they can for their services. Obviously you don't understand supply and demand or convenience. Just stop it, if you can't afford certain places, then just plan ahead and don't eat there. It's that simple. I wasn't pissed when I found out the buffet at Kings Island was $17.99, I waited and got McDonalds on the way to the Tigers - Reds game because (gasp) I knew the prices would be high there too.

Glad I rarely eat in the park. Usually some ice cream of the future, or other snacks here and there, but for the most part, I eat at their off-site locations that are much cheaper.

The live entertainment signs at the gates mention the return of the Beach Band and a new act called the Frontier Folks. It is really great to see the park bring back midway entertainment. Hopefully there will be more of this sort of thing in the future.

A more unfortunate change happened at Beaches & Cream at Hotel Breakers. They no longer have hand-dipped Toft's ice cream. It's only soft serve now. It might be a minor thing but we have always enjoyed having the classic ice cream parlor experience whenever we stay. Ah well.

"Thank the Phoenicians!"

I stand corrected on the lunch price at MM. Paid $18 for adult, $10 for child today. Was it really $13 on opening day?

One plus this year is that there is no one to tip with the drinks now being self serve.

CodyR said:
You people are idiots for thinking Cedar Point is greedy...

We are not the ones that think $18 is a fair price for barely edible food.

You've obviously never been to a movie theater and paid $10 for crappy popcorn and drink... two items that have a combined cost to produce of very, very little.

Those greedy, greedy movie theater corporations!!!

The PointGuru said:
If you can't afford it then you should just stay home....

(^ slight cross thread sarcasm^)

That's what we've been trying to tell you all along re: the $6 convenience fee!!!

(severe cross thread sarcasm)

Last edited by MaverickLaunch,

RonAnnArbor said:
Not for nothing, 17.99 for so so food at a buffet at Cedar Point is pretty darn good in an amusement park -- try 29.99 at Walt Disney World for a typical buffet with so so food, and 34.99 for a buffet with somewhat decent food....

Your not going to find dining "bargains" in a park whose sold purpose is to make money.

Sorry Ron, I can't let this slide. First, while Disney food may not be great, your basically comparing McD's quality (Disney) with dog food (parks food). Second, I really don't even think you can put Midway Markets customer service (or anywhere in the park) in the same universe as any place at Disney. Take into consideration the overall ambiance attention to detail of Disney (not to mention meal plans) and the value is far and away better than Midway Market unless they made it about the same price as a Cici's Pizza Buffet. I'm not trying to justify Disney's prices either; but, Midway Market $18, come on man!

Last edited by The PointGuru,

MaverickLaunch said:
You've obviously never been to a movie theater and paid $10 for crappy popcorn and drink... two items that have a combined cost to produce of very, very little.

Those greedy, greedy movie theater corporations!!!

Agreed 100%

The PointGuru said:

dog food (parks food).

Dog food...really?

Cedar Point's food isn't the greatest. I agree, but my god, if you expect Cedar Point to serve 5 star quality food to three million people, your going to be disappointed. The food isn't even that horrible, not great, but not terrible.

Is the price higher then what the food is worth? Yes, but I find it's moot point to argue because their still selling food at the price, and if that's the case the price won't go down.

Last edited by CDF,

Connor Frame
Meadowbrook FFA

Again, people want to take me out of context. I was comparing a low quality product with something no one would want to consider eating . That said, I have eaten at Midway Market. Once to try it and another time because I was forced to because of the peer pressure of the group I was with. Both times, all in the group later agreed they would let their pets eat in the place but they never would again.

Many of you seriously need to get some cheese to go with your whine!

Nobody is forcing you to go to the park, let alone purchase food there.

I used to complain plenty about the food at Cedar Point. One year, I complained so much that it got me into serious trouble. Some people here know what happened, and it wasn't pretty.

At that point, I quit purchasing food and beverages at Cedar Point. I voted with my wallet. I now do purchase food and beverages, but only when I see value in what I am buying.

Pricing at the park is competitive when it comes to entertainment venues. The problem with the food at Cedar Point is not the price. The problem is the quality, and lack of perceived value.

From conversations I've had on Thursday and Saturday with people in the foods department, including someone at the corporate level, I can tell you that management is well aware of this problem, and is working to correct it.

One of the biggest things the park, and Cedar Fair as a whole is doing, is hiring actual chefs, and people with culinary experience to work in their foods departments. One of the people I spoke with the other day was the head chef from Canada's Wonderland. I actually enjoy the food at that park, and this chef, along with people from other parks, including Knott's, were at Cedar Point during the Media Preview.

Cedar Fair is working to improve the quality of the food at Cedar Point, and add value to the product. Sorry, but the price isn't likely to go down. But so long as quality goes up to match the price, value will be found!

This will take time though. Too long, Cedar Point's culture has been that of crappy food at inflated prices. They need to change this culture, and are taking steps to do it. By 2015, I wouldn't be surprised if we see a vast improvement in food quality and value. But it won't be overnight!

Last edited by Avalanche Sam,

John McCain: The Ride

Being Mavericky since 2007!

You must be logged in to post

POP Forums app ©2024, POP World Media, LLC - Terms of Service