CoasterMania 2015

Same here. Coastermania is fun and I attended a handful of times, but rather find myself having a more pleasant experience just on a regular day. As Jeff and others stated on here, visiting a park with other enthusiasts isn't enjoyable.

I hadn't been to one in a long time (it was two days long the last time I went). I went this morning and I was extremely happy with how it went. I arrived at 7:30, waited about ten minutes in line to get my pass and lunch ticket, walked into the park and was very pleased to walk onto Rougarou. Twice. Then I walked over to Gatekeeper and did the same. Twice. And that was the beginning of my awesome day.
When I got to lunch I was surprised that we were getting swag. A free meal, a chance to geek out on some coasters, AND free branded gear? To me, that was above and beyond. I'm only sad that I had to leave early. That late night ERT would be killer.

They call me Sheehan.
coasterandtreeloversbuzz.com

DSShives said:

There was only a 11 & 12pm seating. That could be why.

Only announcements were:

2. Bringing back the boat ride around the point. Not sure if a boat yet.

Can you elaborate on what exactly this means? What boat ride around the park, and how could a boat ride not involve a boat? And apparently no one asked McClure where his promised Rougarou theming is. Still in a box somewhere?

Last edited by Kevinj,

Promoter of fog.

Tony said, that like last year, next year they were going to have a boat ride to see the point from the water. But they did not know what boat they were going to use just that there would be a boat ride.

Yesterday was my first Coastermania. It wasn't a bad event. I thought the lunch was great. But morning ERT was pretty much wasted for me because it took about an hour to check in and I only got one ride on GK, 2 on Rougarou and one on MF. Not bad, but could've been a little better. But the night ERT was much better. I got 6 or 7 rides on Maverick. I think most people that were there for morning ERT didn't stay for the night ERT. But one gripe last night was during Maverick ERT they shut the ride down for a few minutes because they had to transfer some trains off the track. There was only about 5 minutes left in ERT, I don't know why they didn't just wait until it was over. Overall, I thought it was a good event, but from what I've read, it was scaled back this year. And they said next years check-in should be alot better. I don't know exactly how they could do that but it wouldn't surprise me if they capped the attendance on future events.

Brian
Valravn Rides: 24| Steel Vengeance Rides: 27| Dragster Rollbacks: 1

I suffered a serious vehicle malfunction and didn't arrive until 3pm, so no 'swag' AND no lunch for me.

I was kind of surprised by the reports I got, though. For the first time in the history of CoasterMania, Cedar Point knew at least in theory *exactly* how many people were coming, but apparently behaved as if they were totally surprised and overwhelmed by the attendance.

I realize some people were underwhelmed with giveaway items; I find that to be a rather strange attitude considering that it is a no-cost event (if you bought tickets you got a hefty gate price discount!). Just because the park has gone seriously overboard with giveaways in the past few years certainly doesn't obligate them to continue that pattern. But to run short of event credentials for an event for which preregistration was required seems rather odd.

The other thing that surprised me was reports that the food at lunch was not to the usual CoasterMania standard. I obviously can't comment on that directly, but I find it surprising simply because the one thing that was totally new this year and directly related to CoasterMania was the new catered picnic facility. I expected that if there was one area where Cedar Point would deliberately exceed expectations this year, it would be at lunch, precisely to show off the new facility.

Again, I point out the entitlement issues and mention that at my first CoasterMania there was no lunch, and while I heard rumors that there had been some cookies served in the ballroom before evening ERT, the quantity was inadequate for the small crowd and most of us only saw a few trays of crumbs...but Magnum and Mean Streak ran late for us, AND WE LIKED IT! :)

(Now get off my lawn...)

--Dave Althoff, Jr.

/X\ *** Respect rides. They do not respect you. ***
/XXX\ /X\ /X\_ _ /X\__ _ _____
/XXXXX\ /XXX\ /XXXX\_ /X\ /XXXXX\ /X\ /XXXXX
_/XXXXXXX\_/XXXXX\_/XXXXXXX\_/XXX\_/XXXXXXX\__/XXX\__/XXXXXX

What do they usually serve for lunch? I thought the lunch was great. It was hot dogs, boneless chicken wings, macaroni and cheese, macaroni salad, chips, and cookies. I really filled up on the lunch.

Brian

I had a great time yesterday, EVEN with the FREE stuff not being as extravagant as in the past. I appreciate all the park did. I got there early to check in and also got to the meal line early as well. That avoided the problems I've been reading about on various discussion boards.

Last edited by darkrider68,

I was kind of disappointed at the lack of 2016 teasing (besides saying "a lot of things" or something of that note) at lunch, but they seemed to have a shorter lunch this year with the split, and unlike 2012 where they had stuff to tear down, whatever is (hopefully) coming in 2016 has a large site already cleared. (IIRC, CoasterMania 2012 was where they revealed that Space Spiral and Disaster Transport would be torn down.)

On Maverick (and Millennium Force if I heard right) during night ERT, they temporarily closed the rides for maintenance about 45min-30min before ERT ended. On MF, I heard they took trains off, cycled, and put them back on (I don't know, that seems kind of far fetched.) On Maverick, they took 2 trains off and didn't re-open until after the ERT period had ended. Apparently, it had to do with the 28-hour (according to the grouper) switch. I've heard of something similar on MF - it essentially means that after a certain period of time, the ride has to be shut down for testing. According to Maverick's grouper, they took trains off to save time after closing, but they would have had to do tests anyways. Some people in the station were VERY annoyed, saying "they're just wasting our time."

Overall, my favorite part was Magnum ERT at night - it was running extremely well!

Last edited by GigaG,

I don't know why they even mentioned 2016. Tony made it sound like they would say something, anything about a new ride for 2016 leading up to the event. During second lunch at least, he said Jason McClure would say something about 2016, who just said Tony won't let him. Why bother? Tease something or don't bother. *sigh*

Millennium Force was a substitute for Top Thrill Dragster but they could only keep it open an extra hour, to 11:30p. They pulled off blue train around 10:30p due to the shorter ERT lines, okay, fine. Then, around 11:15p, I rode on red train which made a rather loud clang as the elevator catch car engaged to pull us up the lift. There were also reports of odd noises on the brakes. Naturally, they had to pull red off for the night; they did put blue back on to take its place. All completely understandable. They could've just pulled red off and ran blue, or even gave up for the night. They instead kept the ride open for those still in line.

Maverick indeed did run into a 28 hour lockout issue around 12:15a. They had to cycle trains off and basically reset the system. Bart and Brent were pulled off the course, the system satiated, and they reopened. Again, they could've just said, sorry, the ride can't run any longer tonight. They didn't have to do this. They didn't even have to provide free ERT or anything. Instead, they insisted on appeasing the Intamin gods to let us get our final lap in.

Now, check-in and the quantity of donuts available (i.e. running out) were a whole other issue; those were not handled as well as I would have liked. But, I have no reason to complain about park operations working hard to give everyone as many rides as possible given the circumstances.

Sorry, but very disappointed in this years Coastermania. After last years which was awesome this years was sub par. For starters, what a debacle trying to get in a get registered. There has to be a better way. Got there at 6:15 and did not get in until 7:30. Ridiculous. Then, I get the idea to close down TTD due to high winds, and we were supposed to have ERT from 10:30-12:30 on this one. So they switch it to Millennium, which is awesome but then they screw us out of and hour ERT! Make us late getting in then take an hour away from us on one of the premier rides! Lunch was ehh...OK. Hard to complain about a free lunch but when comparing to last years spread, man they cut way back!!!

Seems like after the speech at lunch they get it. CP is a class act and I am sure they will correct the issues. Just a let down this year after experiencing what I experienced last year I had high standards and was a little let down.

CP is still the best to me. Them doing this for us is special and we are spoiled. I am just comparing my first Coastermania to this one.

Till next years!

I won't say it went as smooth as in years past, but I can't say I'm disappointed over any of my experiences at CoasterMania this year. I certainly witnessed my fair share of entitled guests though. I don't understand any of the complaints over food quality or spread at the lunch... maybe i'm of the minority but I would prefer basic comfort foods like hot dogs and boneless chicken at these events. Stuff that is easy to eat and digest while I walk miles around a park on a hot day seems like a no brainer, especially when it's all for free. I thought park operations did a great job providing us with as much ride time as possible. Not only did Millennium's crew open on time - two hours earlier than normal, but to stay open late for an hour to provide more rides is going above and beyond in my eyes. I find it hard to blame the park for "screwing us out of ERT" when you're lucky you have the first hour at all considering three other rides were operating as scheduled.

-Tyler A-

Yeah you're right I guess screwing us out of ERT was a little harsh. My bad. We are flat out lucky to have any ERT at all. I take it back.

No problem - glad to hear you're not discouraged to attend these events in the future. I'm already looking forward to next year's!

-Tyler A-

Were there any Coastermania 2015 shirts available at the gift shops?

Frito Joe

Not that I saw - I was in most of the larger shops during the day. I did see some interesting new collectible "official ride" sew-on patches for rides like Pipe Scream, Gemini, ID and Mean Streak in Pagoda though. Always like to see new things... But no Coastermania shirts this year.

-Tyler A-

I'll be there next year for sure!! Regardless it's Coaster mania and Cedar Point!!!

Having nothing to compare to since this was my first Coastermania, I had a blast. Registration was a little rough, but tons of ERT rides and what I thought was a decent lunch (for free!) made for a great weekend. I would have loved a tshirt (would have even paid a reasonable amount for a coastermania one), but the bag and goodies are still very cool. The mayflies were a little intense at times, but it comes with the early in the year visit I guess.

My only gripe was not at CP, but at another enthuiast at was at lunch. I first watched a guest take 3 plates on one trip (was impressed he could carry 3 hot dogs, a plate of potato salad/macaroni, and a plate of wings), but come on. Then, while grabbing a bag of chips, I watched another guest pick up 6 cookies and fill his cargo shorts. I understand the food is free, but it doesn't mean it can be taken advantage of. Especially in the first meal time, where you taking 6 cookies could mean the last guests don't even get one.

Also, did anyone else stay at the KOA on Friday night? Bike Week participants pretty much owned the camp. Just as I was getting to sleep, it seems they decided to have a "who's engine is loudest" contest. They would rev, cheer, repeat. I actually got a good chuckle out of it because I was too sleep-deprived to care.

MaverickLaunch said:

And as per usual, I heard lots of coaster idiots complaining that we got "less stuff" or "worse food" than last year. I wish CP would charge for this event like a lot of other parks, to eliminate some of these types of people.

Yes, this. I've never heard as much whining and bitching as I did this year, for a free event. I agree that they should charge next year. If people are going to be entitled, they should at least have to pay for something.

I was only there long enough to get two rides, one on Maverick and one on Magnum. Enjoyed the company of my friends that I don't get to see very often.

Jeff - Advocate of Great Great Tunnels™ - Co-Publisher - PointBuzz - CoasterBuzz - Blog - Music

Was I at the same Coastermania as everyone else? I heard no whining and bitching at all except for the check-in line, which was a valid complaint.

Brian

You must be logged in to post

POP Forums app ©2024, POP World Media, LLC - Terms of Service